AAA Membership Appreciation Douro River Cruise

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andrew E

AAA Membership Appreciation Douro River Cruise

Post by Andrew E »

It surprised me to see AAA featuring a cruise down the Douro across both Portugal and Spain.

https://westerncentralny.aaa.com/travel ... ver-cruise

Here are the details:

Travel with President /CEO Tony Spada and Chief Operating Officer Tae Kim of AAA Western & Central New York

Indulge your passion for food, history and music as you discover the warmth of Portugal & Spain.

Experience the "sunny side" of Europe as you follow the Douro River through Portugal and into Spain. Feel the warm sun on your skin as you cruise past terraced hills, quaint villages and acres of ripe vineyards. From taking in a traditional flamenco show to visiting a local cafe to, of course, memorable local food and wine tastings, this Uniworld cruise gives you the very best of the region.

Sail from Porto through the Douro Valley, where vines cling to precipitous hillsides. Visit the charming quintas and meet the winemakers who run them. See the university in Salamanca, Spain where Columbus planned his journey.

You are certain to revel in the captivating cities and striking scenery of the serene Douro River Valley on this perfectly paced cruise.

The magnificent Queen Isabel provides a timeless elegance along the Douro River.
True All-Inclusive Boutique River Cruising™:

All gratuities onboard and onshore
Unlimited beverages onboard including an extensive selection of distinctive wines, craft and regional beers, spirits, cocktails and non-alcoholic beverages
Shore excursions with local experts as your guide
Free Internet and Wi-Fi
All arrival and departure day transfers

Who Will Enjoy This Cruise: Those wanting to discover Europe's best kept secret, the Douro River, with its spellbinding natural and cultural heritage. And wine Connoisseurs will enjoy indulging in this region's most celebrated beverage, Port.
Itinerary:

Apr 4: Depart USA
Apr 5: Lisbon, Coimbra, Porto (embark)
Apr 6: Porto, Bitetos
Apr 7: Regua, cruising the serene Douro River, Pinhao
Apr 8: Pinhao, Vega de Terron (Spain)
Apr 9: Vega de Terron (Salamanca, Spain), Barca d'Alva
Apr 10: Barca d'Alva (Castelo Rodrigo), Regua
Apr 11: Lixa (Guimaraes), Porto
Apr 12: Porto (disembark), transfer to the airport

Optional pre-cruise and post-cruise tour extensions available.

Your Cruise Package Includes:
Travel

7-nights cruise accommodations in a riverview stateroom aboard the chic Queen Isabel
All transfers on arrival and departure days

Taste

All meals onboard including a Gala Dinner
Unlimited beverages onboard, including distinctive wines, craft and regional beers, spirits, cocktails, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water

Explore

2 countries - Portugal and Spain
12 excursions, including "Choice is Yours" options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
Guided "Do as the Locals Do" and "Gentle Walking" programs
4 UNESCO World Heritage sites
Services of an experienced AAA Tour Director
State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio headset system on all excursions

Experience

Captivating onboard local entertainment
Cultural enrichment, including a Signature lecture: "The Magical Douro River Valley"
Exclusive Epicurean Adventurer Program™

Date: April 4 - 12, 2015
Rates:
Save up to $800 per couple off these rates!:
Offer expires 6/30/14. Ask your AAA Travel Expert for details!

Stateroom

Rate
Category 3 $3074
Category 2 $3399
Category 1 $3999
Junior Suite $4669
Suite $6069
Price excludes additional port charges of $161 per person. Airfare is not included in the prices listed above. Please inquire at time of booking for best available airfare.

AAA Member Benefit: Save $125 per person
per person - already reflected in pricing

All prices are per person, based on double occupancy. A limited number of single staterooms are available for an additional supplement of $200. Optional pre-cruise and post-cruise tour extension available.

I'd love to go myself but probably won't be able to accommodate travel like that next year, but I figured I'd let everyone here learn about it.
Eric Menchen

Re: AAA Membership Appreciation Douro River Cruise

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've never thought I would like the big cruise ship experience, but a small boat might tempt me some time.
FYI: http://uniworld.com/boutique-ships/europe/queen-isabel
Carlton McCrindle

Post by Carlton McCrindle »

As I am heading up the Douro on a small ship this fall, I started some reading about the Quintas on the Wine Berserker's Travel Forum which led me to Roy's site. I am looking forward to this excursion with my companions but sense I will be heading back with a different agenda and by a different mode(s) of transportation. Having served as the designated driver on a 14 day trip to Northeast Spain, I will either trek it next time or consider one of Roy's motor coach trips. No more Iberian driving for me.

One of the identified wine tasting opportunities scheduled is in Pinhao at Quinta da Avessada. If anyone is familiar with this Quinta, please let me know about your experience there. I will post here during my trip.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In the early days of this site, a blatant commercial post like this would never have been left standing. I guess I am getting soft with age like a ripe cheese. :evil:

Carlton, I hope you have a really nice time on your float up river. I love seeing the vineyards and quintas float by when on the river itself. It is a great perspective and harkens back the image of what it must have been like back in the day of the barco rabellos floating down river filled with pipas and then having to be "walked" back upriver. That being said, for me, it would take too much precious time being on a cruise; time that for me could be better spent visiting quintas. But that's just me. I do understand a nice leisurely cruise, but I'd prefer that in a hot climate with palm trees and beaches. To each their own. [cheers.gif] Then again, a "bad" day on the Douro is still far better than a good day on a golf course. :scholar:

[shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carlton McCrindle

Post by Carlton McCrindle »

Thanks, Roy. I am looking forward to the trip despite the fact I may not be able to visit all the Quintas that I would otherwise. Your site will be a reference point for me as I get ready for departure this fall. I certainly have no reason to promote any commercial venture but if you would prefer that I report else where, I can accept that.
Last edited by Carlton McCrindle on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Some day I'll do a Douro River Cruise. Have fun!