Rethinking the Mondovino threat

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Brian C.

Rethinking the Mondovino threat

Post by Brian C. »

Apparently it's not happening that way after all: http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2014/06/ ... wine-world
Moses Botbol

Re: Rethinking the Mondovino threat

Post by Moses Botbol »

He fails to mention the size of the US market is partly that factor. The consumers wanting old world style wines is still quite small, but even a quite small populous here is still a significant market. The average consumer still like ripe wines, but I think many of them would also like the older style too. It's not all or nothing for most consumers.

Will this mean looking back in time there will be a 15-20 year void or "dark era" in American winemaking? I personally try not buy any CA wines from early 90's or newer except for selected producers. I have never been a fan of overly ripe wines and find that to be a negative in describing a wine. Then again, this is a port wine forum, so I bet many here would agree with me.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Yes, in regions like Bordeaux and the Rhône Valley, a number of producers “Parkerized” their wines. However, that was pretty much the extent of the Parker effect outside the U.S. Rather than exerting a homogenizing influence, we Americans have instead become stalwart defenders of the artisanal, the esoteric, and the embattled.

This is one of the most idiotic statements I've read in a long time, although there are several others in the article that come close.

The author does almost make one valid point, which is that US importers have often been very supportive of certain small European producers and styles -- Kermit Lynch is an early example of this.
Last edited by Tom D. on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom D.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom D. wrote:Yes, in regions like Bordeaux and the Rhône Valley, a number of producers “Parkerized” their wines. However, that was pretty much the extent of the Parker effect outside the U.S. Rather than exerting a homogenizing influence, we Americans have instead become stalwart defenders of the artisanal, the esoteric, and the embattled.

This is one of the most idiotic statements I've read in a long time, although there are several others in the article that come close.

The author does almost make one valid point, which is that US importers have often been very supportive of certain small European producers and styles -- Kermit Lynch is an early examples of this.
Yes, a pretty stupid statement to make. The American wine industry led the way of "parkerized" wines starting in the mid 1990's, by the early 2000's it was all about lots of ripe fruit and tons of new oak. Bordeaux quickly followed to keep their main reviewer happy and their scores high. This caused a world-wide ripple where most areas had at least some of the upper end producers making these "parkerized" wines. Portugal has not been immune either....
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I think I can see what he is getting at with this article, despite some of the strange assertions.
There is an artisan movement that probably has started in the US - cheese making, beer, spirits and bread and coffee as well as wine, but I think this is something that has been happening across the English speaking world and I suspect will happen in other New world wine regions as well. Anywhere where this movement is happening, you will find people willing to try new stuff and exploring different styles. I think from a wine point of view, this has been, at least in part, a reaction to Parker.
It will be news to the Hunter valley winemakers that California is the saviour of semillon though.