1995 Warre's LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1995 Warre's LBV Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Unfiltered and bottled in 1999.

I opened this around noon yesterday, intending on taking some notes as it improved in the decanter. However, my brother dropped by very unexpectedly. He lives up north and I have not seen him for some time. So I was glad he dropped by. We chatted for several hours enjoying a couple of glasses of the Port. Here are my thoughts on it, from memory..

The color was still very dark. The palate continued to gain in thickness and creaminess during the time I drank it. A nicely balanced bottle, with strong fruit, moderate tannins, and acid. A medium finish. Overall, a very good LBV. This will easily age for at least 5-7 more years. 89+ points

I have about 1/2 a case left and I think I will set 2 aside for long term storage. Maybe try one in 10 years and then again in 20, just as an experiment.
Last edited by Andy Velebil on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Yum, yum - one of my favourite LBV's - available in Sainsbury today for £11.50 a bottle 8)

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I paid $22 for them...however, don't you get 25% off if you buy six or more.

Those prices just kill me. But can you get MD 20-20 at your local store :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy V. wrote: But can you get MD 20-20 at your local store :lol: :lol:
You've lost me - what's MD 20-20?

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A really cheap fruit flavored alcohol, prefered by kids and low-lifes to get a cheap buzz....and a nasty headache.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy V. wrote:A really cheap fruit flavored alcohol, prefered by kids and low-lifes to get a cheap buzz....and a nasty headache.
This description would also fit Cruz VP which tastes like paint stripper and costs about £9 a bottle - YUK !

Derek
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I've got a Cruz Reserve Port - obviously this will be much classier.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

While I like the 95 a lot, I must say the the 94 Warre LBV was a much better wine. Lately I've buying thr 99 Quinta Do Crasto which I found to be more interesting and a little cheaper.
Wine brings truth.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

The Warre's unfiltered 1995 is one of my favorite LBVs. The other ones I think are great right now are Smith Woodhouse 1992, and Niepoort 1996 and 1999.

I plan to do a cellering experiment with both the Warres and Niepoort. If I can find a case of the Smith Woodhouse I'd do that one also, and open one a year.

Jay
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

Jay

I agree with you, especially about the Niepoort 99 LBV. I had the 99 and 2000 back to back and for my tastes, the 99 was the more interesting and rewarding wine - bright, uplifting and fresh and it certainly feels like a wine that will go the distance. The 2000 Niepoort LBV is a product of the vintage and is sweeter, fatter and rounder and is therefore similar in style to many of the more mainstream big name and more generic house style LBVs (I'm thinking especially of Dow and Taylor in 2000).

And surely that's the genius of Dirk Niepoort, to craft an interesting, delicious and long-lived wine from what he has available in an off vintage.

I'll get off my soap box now.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I'm drinking the Warre's Unfiltered 1995 LBV as I type. Thanks to Derek getting me a dozen for £5 each.
I hope its not the fact its a bargain affecting my judgement, but what a marvelous drink. Smooth and rich with a nutty aftertaste. I've had a run of poor LBV's from reknown Shippers (like Taylors,etc) so its a pleasure to get back on track. Andy starts this thread with...
The color was still very dark. The palate continued to gain in thickness and creaminess during the time I drank it. A nicely balanced bottle, with strong fruit, moderate tannins, and acid. A medium finish. Overall, a very good LBV.

Andy, we're in complete agreement. :salute: I still have ten left, but wish I had more.

Alan.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I managed to get six and had a spare from before. Always a good one even at full price of £15.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

This thread reminds me that I really need to buy some bottles of this. Still have one bottle of the '92 hanging around, I loved that one as well.