Jancis Robinson writes about Roy and this Port website!

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

nicos neocleous

Jancis Robinson writes about Roy and this Port website!

Post by nicos neocleous »

Roy,

Congratualtions on receiving extremely glowing remarks from Jancis Robinson! They are found on page 4 in today's Financial Times (Weekend edition) where Jancis writes a weekly column. Your hard work, dedicaion to Port and your unwaveringly honest opinions and advice have been an inspiration to thousands of wine and Port lovers all over the world. I am fortunate to count myself as one of those lucky ones who have benefited from your advice. Well done!

I will toast your health tonight!

Um abraco,
Nicos
YOLO

Link to article

Post by Guest »

Congratulations Roy!

Here is a link to the first paragraphs of the ariticle. Roy and fortheloveofport.com in the second sentence of the Story?. How cool is that? You have to be a subscriber of the Financial TImes to read the whole thing, but here's the link:

https://registration.ft.com/registratio ... e2340.html
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

Worthy praise indeed from Her Royal Highness - well done Roy...fully deserved.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

How I hate sites that give you a couple of paragraphs and then ask you to pay a subscription to see more...

- Puerile :evil:

Tom
Mark Laughton

Post by Mark Laughton »

Tom,
If you go to Jancis Robinson's website you can read the whole article for free - use the link below or you can find the article under "free for all"

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/20061218_1

Happy New Year!

Mark
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Thanks for that Mark - and a Happy New Year to you also!

Interesting piece - just when you think she knows what she's talking about, she refers to a quinta as a 'wine farm' and then reveals that she hasn't a clue about decanting... Oh well..

Views on the '96 vintage seem very diverse, varying from 'also ran' to 'nearly declared'. My own very limited take is 'competant, but still very young'

- Time will tell!

Tom
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom,

You forgot this quote from her
Warre’s Bottle Matured Late Bottled Vintage 1995, the only really traditional rendition of the popular ‘LBV’ style *...."
Ok, I think she needs to meet with some of us from this forum for some leasons about Port.

*Bold added by me.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Jancis Robinson writes about Roy and this Port website!

Post by David Spriggs »

Congratulations Roy! You deserve it! :D :D

-Dave-
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

I note also that HRH makes another gaffe in paragraph 2, repeating the common misconception that our old friend Gould Campbell '77 is a top value and underrated vintage port.

I think we need to make it perfectly clear that this is of course complete nonsense and anyone wishing to try this elixir... er I mean pond water would be well advised to stay clear. This is just the sort of recommendation that can drive up demand ...and prices. Heaven forbid! :wink:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thank you gentleman and especially Mark L. who attached the link to the whole article, so we could all see it (I hadn't seen past the first two paragraphs).

Of course without Nicos, none of us would have even known about this. Nicos, thanks my brother for the initial post, very generous of you. Regards to your siblings for me, please.

As to Jancis, this was most kind of her to include the FTLOP website in her article. Maybe that is what is driving our increase in membership the past few days? If not, it may be the fact that the vast majority of folks received the last newsletter with the new mailing system. Either way, my respect for Jancis's palate, personality, candor in responding to questions as well as her articulate writing style is monumental.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I certainly add my kudos to Roy and the mention by JR. The subject of the article was also accurate. We have been lucky in many ways that ports have not kept pace with other rare wines. The industry could use the cash but we consumers have benefited greatly by the low relative prices of great port.
A 2000 case of Petrus recenlty was offered at $30,000.00. Can you imagine the Taylor 2000, currently available at under $1000/case at that price? I would have to imagine it. I could not pay for it!
Richard Henderson
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Roy,

Thank you and well done!

Best,
Nicos
YOLO
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sorry to delete some posts in this thread, but it was getting way off topic into dicey waters.

Thanks for understanding. It is back open for business.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com