Big aniversary tomorrow

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Philip Harvey

Big aniversary tomorrow

Post by Philip Harvey »

Tomorrow, it'll be ten years years to the day that I gave up smoking - 5th January 1997. My wife and I moved to New York for a couple of years back then and as it's virtually impossible to smoke anywhere in the Big Apple, it was easier to just quit.

So anyway, looking through my notes and doing a few quick calculations, I estimate that the amount of hard cash that I have spent building up my wine cellar over the last ten years is roughly equivalent to the amount I would have spent on the evil weed over the same period had I carried on smoking. Spooky.

I have found that this general arguement has been a great pacifier in the Harvey household over the last year or two any time questions have been raised about my vinous expenditure, but this is the first time I have actually done the math.

To celebrate tomorrow's milestone therefore, I will be opening the following which are from my favorite producers in their field:

Gosset Brut Milleseme Champagne 1996
Robert Chevillon 'Les St Georges' 1997
Dow 1997

In my opinion, money well spent.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Very well spent. Glad it took the apple to get you to kick the habit. Your kids will love you longer this way!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

By the way Roy, what did you think of the Flaccianello 1998? Did you make a tasting note? I bought a case of the (fabled) 2001 but probably will not broach one for another couple of years.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phillip,

Congrats!

When your partner gives you grief about buying wines, just say "It could be worse, I could be drinking AND smoking" :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I have never smoked (fortunately, I hated them when I experimented...)

- but I have never been averse to a pint of ale...

My tankard (given to me by my father on my 18th birthday, a fortnight before he died) has resided in my local pub ever since.

I have calculated that since then it has held over 30,000 pints - which is an awful lot of beer - and an awful lot of money (at UK prices..)

But then, as my business partner is fond of saying...

'you're a long time dead'

Tom :D
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Tom,

By my calculations that is less than 2 pints per day for the past 30 years - what the hell are you doing man :shock: Get down the pub now and boost your average :lol:

Derek