Sources of supply

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Sources of supply

Post by Roy Hersh »

In the USA, The Rare Wine Company is well regarded as THE source for high quality bottles of Madeira. The owner has fabulous connections and is tipped off, the moment any new casks are unearthed, sold or looking to be bottled.

I am wondering if anybody purchases their Madeiras from other sources and would be willing to share with the rest of us?

It would be much appreciated.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

Good question.

Other than some younger Broadbent and one of the RWC Historical series I needed quickly, all my vintage madeiras have been purchased though them. So far I have not been able to beat their selection/price for the older bottles. The Historical series though I bought locally and had a Broadbent madeira from Woodland Hills.

Jay.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Hi Roy,
Terrific site! :D
I buy a lot from the Rare Wine Co as well, but I've also done pretty well at commercial auctions, Christies, et al. Madeira doesn't suffer so much from storage so I haven't worried about condition. The prices have gone up recently however, but I still keep an eye out for interesting lots.
IanL

Post by IanL »

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned elsewhere on the board but in the UK the foremost source for fine madeira must be Patrick Grubb selections. His official business is wine wholesaler and consultant but is often happy to do retail - especially in Madeira given the individual bottle prices.

Patrick Grubb MW was previously the head of wine sales at Sotheby's, before setting up his own niche fine wine business. He does not have a website, but publishes an exhaustive list of vintage and solera wines a few times a year. Volumes are usually limited - sometimes only one bottle of a particular vintage - so it pays to place orders soon after a list has been published.

Since he is a wholesaler, his list is often used as the basis for many of the broker offerings of madeira that are seen online.

Patrick Grubb Selections
Tel. +44 (0)1869 340 229
Fax. +44 (0)1869 340 867

His lists mention terms for overseas business.

It is out of date, but for interests sake here is a scan of his October 2005 Madeira list.

* I have no link at all with Patrick Grubb, other than being a happy customer.