magnums

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

magnums

Post by dave leach »

is there a way to ascertain what producers made their port available in magnums in a particulay year? through surfing various web merchants and perusing many auction lots, i've come up with my own list. but is there a simpler way to find out?
for instance, i've never seen a quinta do noval mag listed, for either their nacional or regular bottling. i've seen, and own one, 1970 fonseca mag, but i've never seen a 77 mag ever listed anywhere.
just curious, because i'd love to own more, any thoughts?

dave
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Dave,

I've never seen a definitive list of magnums released in past years, but if you posted your list here and asked for forum members to add to that list where they have seen or own other vintages then you might be able to extend the accuracy of your list.

The only magnums of port that I have ever drunk from are the Dow 1970 and the Grahams '66. I have also been told by the folks at Quinta do Noval that the Naçional wines have never been bottled in magnum but I assume that this can only be Oporto bottled. Although there was not much early Naçional bottled outside Oporto, it is possible that some of the merchant bottling was done in magnum but I have never heard or seen of any.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

No Magnum of Nacional exists anywhere. I can assure you there is 1970 Fonseca magnums and Taylor, Dow and Graham. The same can be said for 1977 and Warre too. Lots of others but it is late at night and I am heading to bed. I have never seen a website that offers a comprehensive listing but I know of many going back to 1935. Before that I have no knowledge of Port in Magnums although I assume they must exist. But, I am sure that there are people on this Forum who know for sure and it would be a great QUESTION of the month for the Port trade, having them create a list that we could put into a specific area on the website. Goodnight guys.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Owlett

Magnums

Post by John Owlett »

Hi Dave,

Last summer, Berrys' Basingstoke sold some magnums of 1977 Graham at 25% off; so I bought one which the Owlett family drank at Christmas lunch. Berrys' still has half a dozen, though no longer at 25% off, and also has some magnums of 1997 Warre.

Later,

Dr Owl

----------------------------
John Owlett, Southampton, UK

Julian D. A. Wiseman

Magnums: T85, W85, N63

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

In magnums I own Taylor 1985, Warre 1985, and Noval 1963.

Please do post your list in the forum.

[Edit: and I have drunk Noval 1955 in mag.]
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I would love to see your list, and will update it with my information when it's posted.

From my own experience and ownership, here's what I know:

1977 Vintage: Taylor bottled magnums and double magnums. I only owned 1 of the magnums and sold it instead of drinking it. I owned 3 of the double magnums and know of a fourth. I bought the three in an auction in one lot, the fourth being a single bottle lot. I sold two of them and drank the third one at an IWFS dinner I hosted in November 2003. The wine was black as night and about 20 years too young to drink, but it was fun. I exchanged emails with the winery to find out how many double mags they bottled and they said they didn't know, but it was definitely less than 100.

1985 Vintage: I've owned Warre's and Sandeman's. I drank the Sandeman's and sold the Warre's. Sorry, but I don't have notes on the Sandeman's.

1992 Vintage: I've owned a couple of Fonseca magnums, selling one and the other is still sleeping in the cellar. I've also seen Taylor mags.

1997 Vintage: I presently own 3 Taylor mags, again sleeping in the cellar. I've seen Fonseca mags, but haven't bought any. The Taylor mags I got on sale at Binny's locally here for $100 each about 18 months ago. They sometimes have huge sales on large bottles of port.

All the best,
John
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Binnys? Pls let me know of sales of large bottles.

Binny's? Please let me (and probably others via the forum) know when there are sales of large bottles. I've never owned a double magnum.
John Danza

Re: Binnys? Pls let me know of sales of large bottles.

Post by John Danza »

jdaw1 wrote:Binny's? Please let me (and probably others via the forum) know when there are sales of large bottles. I've never owned a double magnum.
The double magnums I bought at auction from The Chicago Wine Company about 10 years ago. If you're not familiar with them, check them out at http://www.tcwc.com. They don't charge a buyer's premium, and they're great folks to work with.

For Binny's, keep an eye on http://www.binnys.com. The port sales usually happen in the late fall and always include half bottles and magnums. They had one this fall as well, but I was out of cash due to last year's home renovations. Next time I see a sale on these bottles, I'll put something in the marketplace.

All the best,
John
John Danza

Post by John Danza »

Here's a photo of the 1977 Taylor double magnum, held by my wife and I. It's not a great picture and a bit hard to gauge size, but it's the only one I have. Click on the picture for a larget version.

I wish I had the others back.

John

Last edited by John Danza on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Wow the double magnums are rare indeed! I have two of the '77 Taylors in double magnum format and several magnums of '77 Taylor's as well currently those are the only larger size Port bottles in my collection. Both the double mag and single magnums from Taylor's come in their own individual wooden cases .The only other I can add to the list is a 1977 Warre magnum I drank last year for Christmas.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Here is a list of the Ports I have in Mags and larger, which does not list multiples of any bottling or Mags I've previously opened:

MAGNUMS
1935 COCKBURN
1966 GRAHAM
1970 FONSECA
1970 TAYLOR
1977 FONSECA
1977 TAYLOR
1977 WARRE
1980 WARRE
1991 TAYLOR'S QUINTA DE VARGELLAS
1992 NIEPOORT
1994 NIEPOORT
1994 GRAHAM
1997 SANDEMAN VAU VINTAGE
2000 QUINTA DO PORTAL

DBL. MAG
1997 SANDEMAN VAU VINTAGE
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've got a paltry 4 mags so far, 2 each from the following producers;

2003 Fonseca VP
2000 Presidential VP
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

List of magnums

This post lists all the large-formats posted in this thread. (Feel free to check that I have coped correctly.) I'll edit this post as more people add reports of magnums seen, owned or drunk.

Magnums
Taylor: 1970, 1977, 1985, 1991 (QdV), 1992, 1997;
Fonseca: 1970, 1977, 1992, 1997, 2003;
Graham’s: 1966, 1970, 1977, 1994, 2003;
Noval: 1955, 1963;
Cockburn: 1935;
Warre: 1977, 1980, 1983, 1985;
Dow: 1970, 1977;
Niepoort: 1992, 1994, 1997;
Sandeman: 1985;
Sandeman Vau Vintage: 1997;
Presidential: 2000;
Portal: 2000;
Offley Boa Vista: 1977;
Ramos Pinto: 1983;
Croft: 2003;

Double Magnums
Taylor: 1977;
Sandeman Vau Vintage: 1997;

[Includes all down to Dave Leach's post.]
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Dave Johnson »

My (short) list of magnums:

1 Grahams 1970
2 Grahams 1977
1 Dow 1977 (I opened my other one last month at my Father's 75th birthday celebration at Canlis - an infant compared with the 375's I have of this wine).
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

very cool looking bottle :winebath: hope you kept it
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Off the top of my head I have the following magnums:

77 Offlay Boa Vista
83 Ramos Pinto
97 Niepoort
97 Fonseca
03 Croft
03 Grahams

Sadly no double magnums to be found.

Jay
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

magnums

Post by dave leach »

wow, great thread guys. i never knew there were so many magnums available. as much as i surf the merchant sites and auction catalogs, i rarely see port magnums and knew of only a few, mostly the big names. i happen to be a mag fanatic, there is something about them i cherish and appreciate(perhaps knowing there will be enough of our beloved nectar to go around for everyone present to enjoy, and then some?).
besides auctions, does anyone have a thought on which merchant/onliner carries the best selection of mags? it just seems so hit and miss most of the time. i am looking for older vintages, as i'm 52 and although i own several 94, 97, and 00 mags, i doubt i'll be around to enjoy them at their peak maturity.
i've got several 77 dows, 77, 83 and 85 warres, 2 70 fonsecas in mag. i'd love to get my port paws on 63, 66 or 77 fonsecas, any 66 mags, any taylors from 63-77. does anyone know of their availability, or can point me in the right direction ?
John Danza

Re: magnums

Post by John Danza »

dave leach wrote: besides auctions, does anyone have a thought on which merchant/onliner carries the best selection of mags? it just seems so hit and miss most of the time. i am looking for older vintages,
Hi Dave,

For older vintages in the U.S., your best bet is auction I'm afraid. However, I would highly recommend The Chicago Wine Company, since they don't charge a buyer's premium. I'm not connected with them at all, just a happy customer. They're at http://www.tcwc.com. They will also do retail. I've had them track down hard-to-find bottles for me in the past. They have great sources in Europe.

All the best,
John
Paulo Barbosa

Post by Paulo Barbosa »

According to some people I have spoken in Porto, during the tastings, double Mags are extremely rare. I had no idea they were so many out there

Here's my short list of Mags:

Taylor 1970
Sandeman Vau 1988
Taylor 2000
Fonseca 2000
Dow 2003
Vesuvio 2003
To our good qualities which are not few.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Re: magnums

Post by Jay Powers »

dave leach wrote: besides auctions, does anyone have a thought on which merchant/onliner carries the best selection of mags?
Dave

I see lots of magnums in the Bay Area, Premier Cru is one good source, K&L another (although the latter usually sells them out fairly quickly). Most of mine have come from those two sources.

Jay