March virtual tasting suggestions

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

March virtual tasting suggestions

Post by Frederick Blais »

In February I would have like people to get out and try a Madeira... I'm not sure there was that much interest to do so unfortunately.

So for March I thought going back to the style of tasting that got the most participants in. A vintage tasting of one specific year. I tought of 1980.

Let me know what you think and if you have other ideas, share them.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think 1980 would be great. Does this include anything from 1980 (for example a VP or Colheita)

I think I'll open an '80s Warre VP, as that is one I can't recall having before.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

I'd keep it only for VP
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Will be opening up a '80 Grahams for my father in-laws B-day next week .

Luc
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Fred,

Which 1980 are you opening?

Derek
Frederick Blais

I was tinking of opening a Graham's 1980. I did taste it at the Graham's lodge this fall and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I want to revisit it over a full bottle now 8)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

it will be a week or so before my TN. Got the flu really really bad...although an I.V. of Port while I slowly die would be nice :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Poor little sunshine boy :lol: You must drink more often. Here even with minus 20 celcius during a week I did not sneeze my nose once this winter.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've got bad news for you Andy. I caught a nasty bout of 'flu on Feb 13 and I'm probably 95% better now ..... but apart from a brief but very enjoyable 4 hour exception with Sean and Moses, I just haven't been able to bring myself to drink port yet. :oops:

And this is with a bottle of Sandeman '77 that has been standing on the side waiting to be opened since just before I was ill. :cry:

I hope you fare better than me!

Alex

PS - off to Berry Brother's today to see what they have from 1980 in the shop. I'm determined to contribute to the March virtual tasting.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

thanks guys, although I finally feel better this morning, it has now gone to my sinuses :( I'm looking at the bright side though, I've lost a pound since I've been sick 8)
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Did you lose that pound betting you could spell Hypochondriac !

Where have all the Real Men gone!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan,

Although I am a little skinny runt (all 150 lbs of me), I can hold my own. Just ask Derek. Him and I were the only ones left drinking late at night AFTER getting back from our days activities in the Douro. Now that was stamina :drunk:
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

[quote="Alan , did you lose that pound betting you could spell Hypochondriac !

Where have all the Real Men gone!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Trying to win a t-shirt :roll:
Last edited by Luc Gauthier on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Tanker,
Now,now, your forgetting that you also get a hat! I'm holding back on my good ones, until its a pair of fluffy slippers and a curling tong!

Wouldn't half mind the Port though! It wouldn't last long either. I'd love to know were you guys get the patience and intelligence to keep a cellar stocked. The only thing I collect that I cant get rid of is ex-wives. Now you think Port is expensive!!! :D
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

ex-wive(S)!!! plural!...lol ouch Alan
reminds me of Eddie Murphy's RAW hehe
akira
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

get rid of is ex-wives
I know just the right people.... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(disclaimer: for all the fed's reading this I am just kidding)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy V. wrote:Alan,

Although I am a little skinny runt (all 150 lbs of me), I can hold my own. Just ask Derek. Him and I were the only ones left drinking late at night AFTER getting back from our days activities in the Douro. Now that was stamina :drunk:
I can confirm that Andy is a skinny runt who regularly holds his own :shock:

I also confirm that he had no problem keeping up with me on the drinking stakes which is remarkable given that, at just over 151 pounds, I am not quite as skinny as Andy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to agree with Alan on his "where have all the real men gone" statement. Over the last couple of weeks I have read various posts about men claiming to be ill. This is the kind of namby pamby rubbish that causes women to accuse all men of being whinging moaners with no pain threshhold and no ability to rise above the inconvenience of a common cold. Pull yoursleves together guys, you are bringing shame and humiliation to our gender.

If you feel slightly unwell, have a glass of port and get on with your day. If you feel like you are about to die, have a bottle of port, go to bed, and get up the next day believing you have a hangover (whatever that is :? ). Either way, puff your chest out and give the world the impression you are in control. It worked for Cavemen for millenia, don't let history down by giving in and calling in sick :shock: If you guys keep this up women will want to Vote and expect to go out to work rather than cleaning and cooking. Just imagine the consequences of going down that route :shock:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Have no fear, this Saturday is KROQ's (local radio station) annual Micro-Brew festival at the Santa Anita race track. I shall be there, sick or not, to drink tons of free beer and bet on the ponies till I'm broke. At which point I will come home and drown my sorrows in a bottle of Port....and feel much better, or pass out until they take me away in an ambulance to the hospital...at which time all the gourgeous girls will come by to kiss me in hopes of making me feel better :twisted:

A win-win in my opinion :D
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy,

Good to see you back in the Testosterone Zone - please just remember that a gorgeous girl and a gorgeous girl after a bottle of port are two entriely different things :shock:

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

If you feel slightly unwell, have a glass of port and get on with your day. If you feel like you are about to die, have a bottle of port, go to bed, and get up the next day believing you have a hangover (whatever that is ). Either way, puff your chest out and give the world the impression you are in control. It worked for Cavemen for millenia, don't let history down by giving in and calling in sick

Oh My God!!!! They had the delights of Port in Cavemen Days! I'm not going to sleep thimking of all research I'm gonna have to do. Thanks Derek.