Taylor's 18 Vintages tasted & rated by Wine Enthusiast

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mario Ferreira

Taylor's 18 Vintages tasted & rated by Wine Enthusiast

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Today I've read on the Portuguese media that Wine Enthusiast magazine has recently tasted 18 Vintage Ports from Taylor's. The older Port was from 1900.

Two wines got 100 points and fourteen wines out of the eighteen were rated with 95 or higher points. :clap:

Taylor's 1992 Vintage - 100 points
Taylor's Vargellas Vinha Velha 2000 Vintage - 100 points
Taylor's 2003 Vintage - 97 points.
Taylor's 2004 Vintage - 97 points.

It's curious to see a SQVP being rated 100 points. :!: :)

I haven't got access to the full article yet. So, for now those are the only ratings I know.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

It's curious to see a SQVP being rated 100 points.
Glad to hear, I just won 2 bottles of the 2000 Vargellas Vinha Velha at auction...needless to say I am a happy person :D
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I have my case of 2000 VV as well. http://frederickblais.com/Photo%20020mini.jpg

Mario is the 2004 Single quinta or declared one? I assume its the Single quinta Vargellas as back to back declaration would have been controversial on this forum already.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Frédérick Blais wrote: Mario is the 2004 Single quinta or declared one?
Frédérick, I am not Mario :shock: :) .

It's the rating for the Vargellas Vinhas Velhas 2004. See wesite of WE, "Wine Ratings", search: "taylor".

Michael
John Owlett

Re: Taylor's 18 Vintages tasted & rated by Wine Enthusia

Post by John Owlett »

Mario Ferreira wrote: It's curious to see a SQVP being rated 100 points.
Is it reasonable for me to infer that Taylor's is trying to establish Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha as a "super cuvée", like Quinta do Noval Naçional, rather than just an SQVP?

If they succeed then Andy and Frédérick's purchases will seem astonishing value for money in twenty years' time.

Later,

Dr Owl

----------------------------
John Owlett, Southampton, UK

S. Marello

Post by S. Marello »

As you know, Taylor's already has two Single Quinta Vintage Ports, Vargellas and Terrafeita, which in some cases, like the Vargellas 1987, are absolutely brilliant wines. The main points behind the Vargellas Vinha Velha are:

1- The vines are between 80 to 100 years old, which originates a very low yield but amazing concentration.

2- The age of the vines also means that the roots are extremely long (and by long I mean between 15 to 20 meters in some cases). This means that they have access to nutrients that other vines do not and in drought years they have access to water when other vines do not.

3- Last, but not least, in the Vargellas Vinha Velha you do not have only the 5 or 6 traditional grape varieties you find these days in the Douro Valley. There is a whole bunch of different varieties all mixed up, which creates, in this specific case, a great combination. One of the varieties that is present in good numbers is a little-known and not very appreciated variety called Tinta da Barca, which is believed to be partly responsible for this great wine.

I’m sorry for the lecture, but I think the Vargellas VV deserves it, as it is truly a great wine. My answer to you John is that you are right, this is a “super cuvée” by Taylor’s.

Cheers
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mario is the 2004 Single quinta or declared one? I assume its the Single quinta Vargellas as back to back declaration would have been controversial on this forum already.
There was a 2004 Vargellas made..I've had it once...and I will defer my thoughts on it until the next installment of Roy's Harvest Trip report.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Two wines got 100 points and fourteen wines out of the eighteen were rated with 95 or higher points
When people get this carried away with their scoring it becomes harder to get a relative take on the subject matter..

..how long before someone finds an excuse to score 101??

Tom
Kurt Wieneke

Scores higher than 100

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

Broadbent has already plowed that territory - he has in rare instances rated a wine 6 stars!
Michael M.

Re: Scores higher than 100

Post by Michael M. »

Kurt Wieneke wrote:Broadbent has already plowed that territory - he has in rare instances rated a wine 6 stars!
I think Mr. Parker was first with 2003 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée da Capo (magnum)100+

Broadbent six stars? Which wine? I suppose it must be Porto Pocas Colheita 1989 :P
Paulo Barbosa

Post by Paulo Barbosa »

On my last trip to Porto, I was fortunate enough to pick up a six pack of VV2000, and back pack it on the plane like a baby back to NYC.

Great to know it got such an extraordinary review.

Cheers!

:D
To our good qualities which are not few.
Frederick Blais

Re: Scores higher than 100

Post by Frederick Blais »

Michama wrote:
Kurt Wieneke wrote:Broadbent has already plowed that territory - he has in rare instances rated a wine 6 stars!
I think Mr. Parker was first with 2003 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée da Capo (magnum)100+

Broadbent six stars? Which wine? I suppose it must be Porto Pocas Colheita 1989 :P
Nah not Poças lol. He did on at least 10 occasions, for some Bordeaux expecially the 47 and 61 Vintage if my memory serves me well. I did go trough his book but I just don't want to turn all the pages again just to give the list :?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Late last year I did a very thorough report on Vargellas and Vinha Velha in particular. It answers all questions raised above and provides lots of information and lots of tasting notes as well:
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/newsletter.htm#Atlanta
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: Taylor's 18 Vintages tasted & rated by Wine Enthusia

Post by Derek T. »

John Owlett wrote: Is it reasonable for me to infer that Taylor's is trying to establish Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha as a "super cuvée", like Quinta do Noval Naçional, rather than just an SQVP?
This is only partly true - yes, Taylor's are going for a premium product produced only from vines planted on a limited parcel of land on their premier Quinta but TQVVV is not the same breed as QNN. VV is produced from very old grafted vines, NN is produced from relatively young ungrafted vines planted on terraces unaffected by Phylloxera. As far as I am aware the NN terraces are still occassionally replanted whereas the VV terraces are not.

I have spoken to a member of the Taylor aristocracy (standing 30 metres from the VV terraces :shock: ) and what I was told was that this is not an attempt to reproduce an NN style wine. I believed him 8)

Derek
Mario Ferreira

Ra

Post by Mario Ferreira »

For future reference, following are the 18 Taylor Fladgate ratings from Wine Enthusiast:

Taylor Fladgate Vertical

quote= The wines were tasted in five flights: 1900-1935; 1945-1963; 1970-1985; 1992-1997; 2000-2004. All wines except the 1900 and 1908 were opened and decanted approximately two hours before serving; most were sourced on the secondary market by Executive Wine Seminars, the event organizer. For background on the tasting, see "Hitting the Century Mark", on page 18. Where given, prices are estimated retail.
  • 86 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1900 Vintage Port; $NA
    96 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1908 Vintage Port; $NA
    95 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1927 Vintage Port; $NA
    88 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1935 Vintage Port; $NA
    96 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1945 Vintage Port; $NA
    98 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1948 Vintage Port; $NA
    95 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1955 Vintage Port; $NA
    92 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1963 Vintage Port; $430
    99 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1970 Vintage Port; $255
    95 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1977 Vintage Port; $260
    87 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1985 Vintage Port; $165
    100 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1992 Vintage Port; $280
    99 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1994 Vintage Port; $290
    96 pts - Taylor Fladgate 1997 Vintage Port; $180
    96 pts - Taylor Fladgate 2000 Vintage Port; $100
    100 pts - Taylor Fladgate 2000 Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Port; $270
    97 pts - Taylor Fladgate 2003 Vintage Port; $100
    97 pts - Taylor Fladgate 2004 Vargellas Vinha Velha Vintage Port; $240
Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Dave Johnson »

in his book, Broadbent gives a German TBA 10 stars.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Its very interesting to see the rating that the VVV 2000 was given at this tasting after only 2 hours of decanter time.

This was the wine that I treated myself to over Christmas. While I really wanted to like this wine, I was not impressed. Its too young and too closed to judge. To my taste it has gone past its young fruity stage and is a decade or two away from its next enjoyable phase. It clearly has potential, but I can't say that this is going to be a 100 point wine (and, IMHO, it most certainly isn't a 100 point wine today).

I gave the wine a top mark of 91, after 80 hours in the decanter. My tasting note was on this thread in the forum:
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... t=vvv+2000

Alex
Mario Ferreira

Wine Enthusiast's TN on the VVVV2000

Post by Mario Ferreira »

For future reference only, here is Wine Enthusiast's TN on the VVVV2000.
Since this wine got such unusual rating, I guess it's always interesting to read the critic's opinion anyway :)

Taylor Fladgate 2000 Vinha Velha Vintage Port; $270.
The hue of this wine takes dark and inky to a new level - and this wine's intensity isn't confined to its color. This is simple huge in every way, yet because every component is in proportion, the balance is impeccable. Incredibly rich, dense fruit picks up hints of tar and chocolate, while the finish lasts for what must be minutes. Hold. Imported by Kobrand.