March 2007 Virtual Tasting : Get a Vintage Port from 1980

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Derek,

I'm with you 100%.
As I said, we have a great future with the Good Cop/Bad Cop routine! :thumbsup:
I've just got to teach you NOT to give away our strategies to the Subject!!!! :wall:

Alan
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

Derek Turnbull wrote:he could well pass out after his 3rd glass of port on Saturday
Please post pictures. :lol:
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

You two have no idea of my in-built ability to stay awake when there is good wine on the table.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I think we need to end this discussion before we are told off for hijacking the VT thread :?

Derek
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

You could always drift gingerly away while the peanut butter guy regails us with a peanut butter & Port histoire . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Another bottle of 1980 Warre

Post by John Danza »

Another Bottle of 1980 Warre

I thought I would open another bottle since my experience was so much different than Andy's with this wine. And now I'm really glad I did.

This bottle is much darker than the first. The bottle didn't exhibit any bottle stink upon opening. The nose is primarily strawberries with some cherry notes. On the palate, the spirits are still a little hot but I think that should calm down with time in the decanter. The flavors I'm getting are black cherries and anise. I'll edit the post after I try it tonight, when it's had 24 hours in the decanter.

So far my impression is that this wine may not benefit from additional bottle age, but it's far from going downhill.

48 hours in the decanter:

Well integrated, with a palate of dark cherries and cassis. The color is still dark. This is a really good bottle. With 25 years in the bottle, we're at the point where you have to worry about good and bad bottles on top of good and bad vintages.

All the best,
John