Is it OK to post TNs on Aussie so-called ports?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bob bman

Is it OK to post TNs on Aussie so-called ports?

Post by Bob bman »

Yes, I know that port comes only from Portugal. I've taken others to task on other forums, in fact, about calling dessert wines from elsewhere port. But I've just tasted a very decent Aussie dessert wine, that calls itself port, and in fact is very much like a good LBV, and was wondering if I'd be an outcast and a pariah if I posted TNs on it here.

If such is the case, that's fine, like I said, I absolutely accept that port comes only from the Duoro and that anything else is something else, and not port. But that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate it if it tastes good! :D
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Port capital "P" is the real stuff.

little "p" (or I prefer, fortified wine) for the imposters

just my :twocents:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bob bman

Post by Bob bman »

Indeed. I think that's what I said. :)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sorry, see the Madeira section for my lame excuse :wink:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

bman – as long as you are clear, I don’t think that anybody around here is going to remove you manhood with a butter-knife for it. We all want to know about good stuff whether it is real Port or not. Just don’t call it Port that’s all – see my tag-line.

When are you coming over, btw?
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Just call them 'fortified reds'

My own limited experiance of these confirms the popular view that they are rubbish.

Perhaps the only way they can get a fair assessment is to pitch them blind against the real thing - if anyone can be bothered.. :?

Tom
Bob bman

Post by Bob bman »

KB - maybe late April - stay tuned!

The wine I will try to post TNs for this weekend (I've misplaced the bloody notes :oops: :x ) is the first New World so-called-port-but-no-it's-not-port that I've had that has tasted anything like the real thing.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I think the compromise that we reached when I was drinking my way through my South African stuff was that we would post tasting notes on Port (capital P) in the Port Forum, Madeira in the Madeira Forum and anything else that was a fortified or dessert wine in the Other Topics forum.

There have been a few things posted there. If I recall correctly, the most recent was a port (small p) from Washington that Roy drank.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

And the winner is ... Alex.

Please DO feel free to post on Port wannabes from anywhere in the world. But do so in the OTHER DISCUSSIONS Forum.

Thanks!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Roy Hersh wrote:And the winner is ... Alex.
Hey - I won something. I never win anything, whaddoIget, whaddoIget? :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Apart from NITROPORT! The drinkers of that have so little time left on the Planet, they cant be confined by normal rules!!! :)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

As you know this subject has been discussed many times before and you appear to have changed your position on where these imposter TN's should be posted. In these previous threads you advised people to post these on the main Forum (much to my disgust :shock: ) but now you seem to agree with some of us here that they should be posted on the Other Discussions forum.

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... php?t=1562

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... .php?t=580

Have we worn you down or was this an intentional change of policy?

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I believe it has far more to do with my being on the right coast at this time.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

bman, do keep us posted on when you're coming over. We just might be able to be there as well!
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Ronald Wortel wrote:bman, do keep us posted on when you're coming over. We just might be able to be there as well!
Cooooool!