TN: 1929 Barbeito Reserva Velha Verdelho Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

TN: 1929 Barbeito Reserva Velha Verdelho Vintage Madeira

Post by Ted D »

A celebration: manuscript done for my book Blogging for Business!

Opened a bottle of Madeira, managed half a glass, and passed out snoring loudly on the coach :)

Barbeito 1929 Reserva Velha Verdelho

Dark chestnut brown, with a nose of spicy coffee cake, molasses, roasted chestnuts, baked potato skin & just a touch of madeirization (for Madeira)

Thick rich and intense on the palate. A myriad of flavor tones; coffee, chocolate, mocha, unknown exotic spices, mint. Definitely opened up as it breathed! More notes if it's different later.

Ted Demopoulos
Any Port in a Storm
Ted D

Post by Ted D »

2nd day, especially since I hadn't let it breathe at all:

The flavor was more open and spread out - certainly spicier, but much the same. Almost painfully intense, yet superb! (my wife would hate this - so I'll keep it for myself!).
Any Port in a Storm
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ted,

I own a couple of bottles of this wine and have always enjoyed it in the past. A real beauty. Welcome to the world of great old Madeira. Just think that it was made in the same year as the Great Depression hit Wall Street. Amazing stuff. I do not find that there is much of a change (although it is slightly noticeable) by airing out Madeira. Maybe it softens the initial alc on the nose, but not much changes on the palate for me.

Sip slowly (yeah, sure) this stuff lasts forever just about.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Your wife hates it. You lucky dog! My wife loves madeira and I have to share it with her. :wink:
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Like Ted, I am most fortunate. My wife loves wine and most dessert wines, but Madeira is not one of them. Bummer. :D More for me!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ted D

Post by Ted D »

My wife dislikes very little - Madeira is the only wine she dislikes.

She also dislikes most seafood, except for lobster, as well as game, and "mutton bird" (a Kiwi delicacy).

Occasionally, she dislikes me, but rarely - I keep opening good wine:)

Ted
Any Port in a Storm