Golf . . .

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Luc Gauthier

Golf . . .

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Any early fav's for the Masters ?
Tigger Woods who hails from " The 100 acres woods "
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Luc,

If you fancy a decent bet, try Paul Casey.
Maybe Charles Howell III,

But Woods Singh and Mickleson will take some beating. Their odds are rubbish though.

Honest Al, the Bookies Pal.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Al,

Is there still time for me to enter? I think I must be in with a shout after my snooker performance on Saturday night :wink:

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Justin Rose, joint leader after the 1st Round.
Being English I'd love him to win, and he's mostly on the US Tour so he's getting used to their conditions. But sadly as a rule, Justin
Starts Tournaments like John Wayne, but finishes them like Wayne Sleep!
The 1st two Rounds will never win you the Tournament, they can only lose it for you. Woods and Singh didn't play well, or no fireworks, but they are still ominously close.
More jostling for position later today, before its time for a Bet. Either a straight bet on one of the favourites, or each way on a rookie who's in the top 12.
On a techicnal note. How good is the HD coverage through the BBC? Its making it very difficult not to drink for 3 hours while your watching it! :roll:

Derek,

Having seen your eye to hand co-ordination, my Top Tip on the golfing front, would be to Saw 4inches of all of your clubs.
Its not that it will really help your swing...but they'll fit in the Bin easier! :lol:[
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Hey, at last I have seen Tiger Woods doing something I can do - miss the ball completely when teeing off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The best thing is - Tiger has only managed it once and I can do it as many times as I want :?

Derek
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Ya , I usualy play like Tiger in the woods :)
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Woods played an astonishingly inconsistant 2nd Round. But again, he's just within range. He'll have to make at least a slight move today. I would suspect no worse than a 70, to be on the leaders heels come Sunday.
Dont rule out my longshot, Casey. He's moved back into contention with the best round so far (a 68 ). Justin's hanging on in there, but will he handle the pressure? Another glorious failure is Padraig Harrington. He has the record in golf for the most 2nd place finishes.
Smart money is still on Woods or Singh, but its very bunched up. The 10 shot rule means theres a bigger than normal field making the Cut.
Good Stuff!!!

Alan.
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

I was just happy I finally got cable so for the first time in my life I was able to watch the first 2 days of a tournament!! woohooo lol
akira
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I don't even have cable . . . but I have shampoo :roll:
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

So the under-performing Tiger has made it into the final pairing for the last day of the Masters - what a guy 8)

I watched the summary of his 2nd round yesterday and the way the commentators were droning on you would have thought he had missed the cut. 24 hours later and he is almost top of the food chain once again. Who would bet against him now?

This reminds me of the last Ryder Cup. Tiger was berated for his performance there, yet, if all of the others in the US team had scored as many points as he did the US would have won the cup - isn't it a shame that the world likes to build things up simply to knock them down. A bit like some TN's you read for the great VP's - too much focus on what is wrong with it and not enough on what makes it the best there is.

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Derek,

Your point is spot on. We have a distateful habit of hyping the ordinary into 'Legend'. Yet very occassionally comes along, an outstanding talent of his generation, maybe of History, and after a very short time, ordinary people criticise, and the special powers are taken for granted, even expected. A shame.

Onto the 3rd Round.

Woods is in prime position to take his 5th Green Jacket. Gruelling conditions meant the 'real' par for the day was around 76/77, so Tigers 72 was a 'big move'. Justin Rose is beginning to defy my predictions, but I would still urge caution. Good luck to him. Padraig Harrington (Pronouced 'Paw-draig') has the ability to be a World Beater. Has a real chance, but again usually fails in the white heat of battle.
My tip, Casey, dropped 5 shots in the last 3 holes to drop 6 off the pace, so I suspect its too much for him to catch up.
The Aussie Stuart Appleby leads by one shot. He has to contend with playing in the last pairing with Tiger and all the Hull-a-baloo that entails. That usually results in a 'Bit Part' role for that golfer, but you never know.
Sorry to not mention the American challengers as much, but I do believe they have a Mental Block when it comes to beating Tiger.

So its bet time. Well Tigers odds are miserable at arond 4-7 on. He such a strong favourite though, have you the nerve to bet £70 pounds to collect that £70 back plus £40? Hmm.
I quite fancy Zach Johnson for a place(Usually top 3). He's at 20-1, so a £20 stake of a Tenner EachWay, would reap around £10 stake plus £50. So thats only in reality a £40 profit. Thats if he finishes 2nd or 3rd. If he won your looking at a cool £250 plus £20 stake!
My Debbie wants £10 on Rose at 11-1 because 'He looks a lovely young lad!'. And the scary thing is, those bets often come in!

So I've got till this afternoon to take the plunge, before I settle in with my bottle of Dow's LBV 2000, a real steal on offer at Tesco's at £6.

Have Fun,

Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan C wrote: I quite fancy Zach Johnson
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Although I applaud Alan's prediction and congratulate Mr Johnson on his victory I have to say I was disappointed in this tournament as a spectacle.

Yes, there were some exciting moments but almost all of them were 60 foot puts that started off at 90 degrees to the direction of the hole and then somehow dribbled in 30 seconds later. I can't help thinking that sometimes the people setting up the course are more concerned with bunching up the field than they are with setting a fair test and allowing the cream to float to the top through skill and natural ability. That is not to criticise the winner in any way, it is simply saying that I want to watch golfers competing against each other and the elements, not struggling round an impossible course trying to avoid humiliation. Over the years the Masters seems to have turned into a competition of who can make the least mistakes rather than who can make the best match winning shots.

I heard various references to difficult weather conditions - what surprised me most was that the people making these references have been to Troon or St Andrews of a stormy day :shock: - the fresh breeze of Augusta is nothing compared to what these golfers face at a British Open. The real enemy was the course and those glass-like greens. They discourage players from going for match winning shots and unfairly penalise what are perfectly good shots to the green which then trickle backwards into the water. Not attractive golf to watch and I am sure not enjoyable to play.

:soapbox: :snooty:

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Derek,

Difficult to disagree with what you put. I suppose the only point I can make is that the ;purist' golfer enjoyed it because it humbled the greatest golfers in the world. You also find that the US Open is set up that way as well.
But I have to agree, that their is a higher duty...which is to promote the game of golf to the world wide audience. And in that, it failed miserably.
Its like the point I have made about this Forum. As well as catering for the Port-Head, we must also be attractive to the 'Dip your toe in the water' browser.

Alan

PS. Fortunately I had the courage of my convictions, and had £5 each way on Harrington and Johnson. Zach was 18-1. I'll let you do the maths, but I'm happy.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

US MASTERS 2007

Final Leaderboard

289 Z Johnson
291 R Sabbatini, R Goosen, T Woods
292 J Kelly, J Rose

So another Masters draws to a close. Johnson deservedly wins with a closing 69, which on a easier and fairer course would equate to a 64. Woods never sparkled, but was still very close. Every golfer has a 'If Only' story, and Woods had his by going in the water at the 15th, hunting down another Eagle. Rose had a creditable week, and his youth bodes well, he did still show his weakness of not grasping his opportunities, everytime he appeared to be getting into contention, doiwn the stretch, but he'll hopefully grow out of that.
Goosen did well to remind those writing him off, that he still deserves respect as a Competitor at the highest level.
As mentioned previously, I would hope the Augusta Masters Committee/USPGA reconsider how hard they set up the course. Its the 1st time in 51years the winner has finished over par. Major Championships should be hard and fair, but not 'tricked up'.
So on to the US Open in June, and beware the wounded Tiger!

Alan