May 2007 Virtual Tasting Theme Suggestions

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

May 2007 Virtual Tasting Theme Suggestions

Post by Al B. »

I was home from the office last night thinking of themes I might suggest for the May Virtual Tasting. It occurred to me that with the large number of new members that we now have and having just completed two months of Vintage Port themes, is it time to go back to have another look at Ruby at Reserve Ports?

One of the very first virtual tastings we held was of Fonseca's Bin 27. That was the first time that I have ever tasted that particular port and I was (i) surprised at how good it was and (ii) surprised at how much variation there appeared to be between bottles.

So my humble suggestion as a theme for the May tasting is "Get a bottle (or two) of Ruby or Reserve Port". That way we might be able to get a good spread of producers and brands. It will be interesting to compare them all. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

It means that Alex K also gets the chance to open his Cruz Ruby that he is so proud of :shock:

Alex
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Having tried quite a few Rubies/Special Reserves over the past month and a half, I would agree that this is not a half bad idea. The cost of such "cooking port" as KillerB would call it, is likely low enough that one could try 2 bottles. If you see notes on one that you have not tried, and it is from someone who you find you tend to have similar tastes to, you may even be able to get that one to see if your tastes are similar in the Ruby style as it is in other types.

Todd
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

It seems fair with me Alex.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

The reason that I call it 'Cooking Port' is because, hang on, what was it again, what do I do with it, errrmmmm... oh yes, I cook with it. I use Port in all sorts of ways and I'm not willing to spring the Warre's 1963 for a spot of trifle. However, I do tend to have a bottle open for a while and somehow it reduces in volume rather more than can be attributed to cooking and evaporation. Hence, it must be drinkable.

Good idea Alex,

Alex
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

sounds good to me
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

KillerB wrote:...I'm not willing to spring the Warre's 1963 for a spot of trifle.
Really?!?! I can't see why not! :D That should be some good trifle at the very least - and with a fine accompaniment!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Its almost time for me to tell my story of the Spaghetti Bolognese that Elizabeth made using my cooking port .... but not quite yet.

Alex
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

bridgema wrote:Its almost time for me to tell my story of the Spaghetti Bolognese that Elizabeth made using my cooking port .... but not quite yet.

Alex
Spit it out man...the story, not the speghetti :!:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I am quite willing to throw some port into Spag Bol so I am now intrigued. Or alternatively I'm a freak-show. Scratch that for fear of abuse, maybe I will find that other people do not consider it as an ingredient.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

KillerB wrote:I am quite willing to throw some port into Spag Bol so I am now intrigued. Or alternatively I'm a freak-show. Scratch that for fear of abuse, maybe I will find that other people do not consider it as an ingredient.
I never did consider port as an ingredient, but now that you mention it and I am thinking about it... it makes sense. It intrigues me.

We may have to have two virtual tasting threads this month... one for Ruby/Special Reserve and one for "Food made with Ruby/Special Reserve as an ingredient." :D

Todd
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I don't so much have Port as a specific ingredient, it's just that it is in the nest of oils, vinegars, spices and condiments near to the cooker. It gets into a lot of stuff.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

OK. I'm persuaded.

About 10 years ago, in the days before children, Elizabeth and I decided to stay in to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We agreed a candlelit dinner, home-made spaghetti bolognaise and a good bottle of wine. I also came home via Neal's Yard and bought some really great cheese for the end of the meal.

I arrived home from work and was greeted by a wonderful smell. Elizabeth is a great cook and spag bog is one of her signtaure recipies. Tonight was clearly well up to her usual standard.

We had a lovely relaxed meal and the bolognaise sauce was by far the best she had ever prepared. When I asked why this one was so special, she explained that first she had cooked it very slowly and for a long time and secondly she had used about half the bottle of the cooking port instead of the normal splash of red wine that goes into her sauce. When she mentioned that, I could place the taste of the extra richness that the port had lent to the sauce.

At the end of the main course, I tidied away and brought the cheese through and got a couple of port glasses for us to use. When I picked the decanter up, though, it was half empty. With a shock of horror, I realised that the reason that spag bog had been so good was because Elizabeth had used half a bottle of vintage port.

Half a bottle of Fonseca 1966 :shock: :?
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

...and she's still alive?

You are a very tolerant man.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

bridgema wrote: With a shock of horror, I realised that the reason that spag bog had been so good was because Elizabeth had used half a bottle of vintage port.

Half a bottle of Fonseca 1966 :shock: :?
Now that had to be some GOOOD sauce!

Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Great story....I'm sure she NOW knows what is safe for cooking and what is not :lol:
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I keep in control - I don't run a wife... :D

~~~~~~

Back on topic - how about a small variant:

Find a bottle of ruby or reserve (vintage character) that was bottled at least ten years ago..

Tom
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I admit, it was the best spag bog I have ever had. That sauce was just fabulous - but then it should have been with a half bottle Fonseca '66 reduction in it!

Back on topic for me now. I love the variant that Tom has suggested, but I would struggle to find a bottle which I could be sure was bottled at least 10 years ago. Especially as most of the bottles that I see in shops don't even have bottling dates on them.

But, I guess that if the tasting was just "A bottle of ruby or reserve port" with no guide as to date then anyone who has got a 10 year old bottle could use that, anyone who doesn't could use a bottle that came from the shop that morning.

Alex
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

uncle tom wrote:Back on topic - how about a small variant:

Find a bottle of ruby or reserve (vintage character) that was bottled at least ten years ago..

Tom
I like that idea even more than the idea of just drinking the Ruby/Reserve. It may be difficult for some to find (the LBVs from 10 years or more ago might be a bit more realistic, but if that is the will of the collective, I am willing to try for certain. Not liking my chances of FINDING such a beast, but will give it a go if that is the end result.

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So the theme is set and we are off to the races. I think I have a Graham's Six Grapes in the cellar.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Which particular theme are we going for:

1. Any Ruby

2. Any Ruby or Reserve bottled at least 10 years ago

If it is option 2 I would suggest opening it up to Tawny's (aged or not), White Port and LBV's to give everyone a better chance of finding a bottle - I think we need Fred to decide :?

Derek