May 2007 Virtual Tasting: Ruby or Reserve Ruby

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Surprise, surprise... the medicinal taste has died down considerably, leaving a very slight spirit note. After almost two weeks of being open, this bottle finally seems drinkable.
Imagine if the producer actually figured out a way to make a sound Port (from the get to) that would not have to wait this long to be worthy of putting in your mouth? That would be quite an achievement, eh? :roll:
"Eh?" Roy?? I feel like I'm at home!!! :D

Yeah, the Taylor LBVs, while nothing spectacular, certainly fit this bill. Immediately enjoyable. In fact, they are almost TOO immediate. I find if I leave the LBVs too long, they get spirity. The Special Reserve was the opposite. Wait a week or two after opening, then try it!

Todd
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I had reason to share the Ferreira Ruby and the Kopke Ruby last week. Had several glasses of both.
They were Freebies at the end of a meal in a Albefuria Resteraunt, where 12 of us had run up a huge Steak bill.
It was difficult to deferentiate between the two. Both pleasant, a little watery with a blackcurrant taste. Maybe the Ferreira was a little appley as well. Pleasant for what they were, but not worthy of great exploration. Luckily the majority of the lads were full up and saving themselves for the session ahead. So rather than let it go to waste....
They had a picture and visitors book entry of that Fado singer Mariza, which interested me a lot more.
The waiter then showed me a page signed by a person he thought we'd all know and respect. It was signed Sir John Cole! Now unless someone tells me different, I suspect that was just some wag trying it on, and probably getting the best of food and service on a wind up!

Alan
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan, you posted a TN...short, but a TN non-the-less :salute:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan C wrote:both pleasant, a little watery with a blackcurrant taste. Maybe the Ferreira was a little appley as well.
Yes, Andy, that does look suspiciously like a TN - or even 2 TN's blended into one :shock:

Nice one Al-C - can't wait for your first entry in the TN Forum :wink:

Derek
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

That was definitely a TN.

Alan has popped his TN cherry.

Had the Warre's Heritage again but I'm tiring of it as a night-cap. Opened another Dow's 10yo Tawny instead and it is a much more enjoyable drink. Nice, nutty background to it. Must check to see if there are any more at £5 per head.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan has a "young VP not from a classic year" lined up for the June VT :wink:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:Alan has a "young VP not from a classic year" lined up for the June VT :wink:

Derek
Were gonna set some more records....go Alan go..go Alan go.... :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I suspect you wont understand this, my North American Friends...

But I'm being done up like a Kipper!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alan C. wrote:I suspect you wont understand this, my North American Friends...

But I'm being done up like a Kipper!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know exactly what that means!!! ;)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan or Todd...please translate for this hopeless Cali chap :lol:
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Andy,

It means I'm being set up, or stitched up. And a lot of effort is going into it.
I dont want to try a young VP but Derek is giving me a glass of his, as he finds it amusing.
A 'Kipper' is a Herring that has been filleted and smoked. Therefore a lot of effort has gone into it to 'dress' it up.
Hence the saying, I've been done up like a Kipper!

Alan
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

GOt it thanks...and who says this site isn't educational 8--)
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Good stuff - Alan beat me to it.

I have the kipper fillets all the time... better than sardines! (But the tin they come in is almost identical Andy)

Todd
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

I've gotten the Quinta de la Rosa Lote 601, I'll have to give it a try.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Raj Patil wrote:I've gotten the Quinta de la Rosa Lote 601, I'll have to give it a try.
Very cool...never to late to go back to an old month...I look forward to seeing how you liked it.
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Andy,

thanks for the encouragement.

I as well was impressed with the Lote 601

The driven cork was shorter than the traditional port cork, but still so rare to see on a house ruby. No sediment found in my bottle to speak of.

Upon first pour the color wasn't very opaque albeit dark. It was a pretty red ruby gem color. After sitting it continued to gain opacity and eventually became a dense dark purple akin to a Noval LBV.

There was a slight amount of alcohol (is this considered volatile alcohol?) upon first pour that diminished with time (12+ hours). I sensed dark cherries, dark stone fruit on the nose. Pleasant nose more like a LBV than a ruby by my experience.

Then mouth entry was on the drier side, but not as dry as the 2000 Dow LBV. The body seemed like almost a lightweight to me. Interesting enough as this evolved in the glass the body changed to one of more structure. The complexity was also tenuous until some time later when the port seemed to come together (12-18 hours). I noticed the acidity upon first sip, but it became more pronounced with time. Almost to acidic for the back palate for me, but provides some nice balance.

I agree with Andy that this is a unique house ruby that I'd compare to a middle of the road unfiltered LBV and for the price - a WOW. I have several more bottles that I plan to hold on to for awhile as I feel that this may become more integrated as a whole and will be better maybe this fall or within a year. I'll probably try to hold on to a bottle for 2 years out, we'll see.