May 2007 Virtual Tasting: Ruby or Reserve Ruby

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Totally agree on Otima. It may not be to all Port-heads tastes but it is well made and an enjoyable drink, no so sure about this one. I will reserve judement on the whole range until I've tried a couple more - I can get the LBV but the 10yo tawny should be the one to test. I really don't want to try the White Port - G Youth.

I think that this needs a thread of its own.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Armilar Ruby Update

1 and a 1/2 tins of chopped plum tomatoes
1/2 pint of beef stock
1 chopped onion, fried in olive oil
1 crushed clove of garlic
Sun-dried tomato paste
oregano
mixed herbs
black pepper
minced beef (or, in my case, veggie beef substitute :? )
25cl Armilar Ruby Port

Chop, cook, simmer, stir for about 30 minutes

Serve with wholemeal pasta & grated cheese

10-0 on the Tom scale
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Derek,

You mist out Chillie Powder!. Not very traditional, but Spag Boll requires half a glass of Port, half a glass of Double Cream and the kick of the Chillies!
Time to unbutton your belt.....

Alan
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

I just opened two bottles of port.

Graham's "Six Grapes" Reserve Porto
Quinta de la Rosa Finest Reserve Porto

Initially, I note that the Graham's is dark purple with a good amount of tannins and a cherry cough syrup finish.

The Quinta de la Rosa is a medium ruby red that shows a little age. Lighter bodied than the Graham's with cherry and other red fruits on the finish.

I'll report back later after these get some more air.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Derek Turnbull wrote:Armilar Ruby Update

1 and a 1/2 tins of chopped plum tomatoes
1/2 pint of beef stock
1 chopped onion, fried in olive oil
1 crushed clove of garlic
Sun-dried tomato paste
oregano
mixed herbs
black pepper
minced beef (or, in my case, veggie beef substitute :? )
25cl Armilar Ruby Port

Chop, cook, simmer, stir for about 30 minutes

Serve with wholemeal pasta & grated cheese

10-0 on the Tom scale
10-0 - Derek, that is just PRECIOUS!!! :D Although I agree with Alan, I myself would have included a half- or maybe full :twisted:- table spoon of dried chile peppers, my wife would have had none of it. I would have to add afterward myself, which of course cause 'hot spots' in the sauce rather than having the nice warmth of the chilies radiate through the sauce. :cry:

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Kris Henderson wrote:I just opened two bottles of port.

Graham's "Six Grapes" Reserve Porto
Quinta de la Rosa Finest Reserve Porto
Kris, is this the "Lote No 601 that Andy tried to start off this month's VT? I'm interested to see if it shows for you as well as it did for him.

Todd
Kris Henderson

Post by Kris Henderson »

Hi Todd, This is a different bottle. The designation is "Finest Reserve". I'm not sure how the quality of this is supposed to compare to the Lote No 601 but I am not as enamored with the Finest Reserve as Andy was with the 601. I'll have a more detailed note up in a little bit.
Kris Henderson

Post by Kris Henderson »

Some air has done both of these some good. Here are my final notes:

Quinta de la Rosa Finest Reserve

The color is rather nice. A medium dark ruby red that is very clear. The nose offers up subtle aromas of cherry, raspberry, and perhaps some cinnamon. On the palate, the wine is a drier style with a nice medium weight mouth feel. Good balance between tannin, acidity, sugar, and fruit. The finish is astringent with green tannins and some heat that I don't care for. My score = 82

Graham's Six Grapes

With the Graham's Six Grapes, I am back in more familiar territory. It's been a long time since I've had a bottle of this. A very dark red, nearly purple and opaque. The nose is pleasant with soft aromas of cherry, plum, chocolate, and a little alcohol. The palate is nicely sweet with firm tannins and a little acidity. The finish is tannic, fruity, and medium length. Well structured. With all those tannins, this would probably be better in a couple years but why age a basic ruby? In my opinion, a very fine example of a ruby port. I should drink more of this when I need my port fix and don't want to open a Vintage Port. My score = 86
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kris,
The Grahams Six Grapes is a favorite of mine for a reserve ruby. A tough one to beat, and always a winner.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kris Henderson

Post by Kris Henderson »

Andy, How does the Grahams Six Grapes compare to the Quinta de la Rosa Lote No 601?
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

After revisiting the Six Grapes recently, I couldn't agree with you both any more. It is the port, which, for me, is the best bang for the buck of any category that I have tried yet. It will bring me the most drinking pleasure for the amount of money I am spending on it. I am buying a case this week... perhaps I will label and lose one to the back corner of the crawlspace under my stairs and "forget about it" to try your experiment Kris. ;) I wouldn't expect much of it, but it may soften the tannins a bit, assuming the T-cork holds up for a few years... :? I'll have to keep an eye on it. ;)

Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kris Henderson wrote:Andy, How does the Grahams Six Grapes compare to the Quinta de la Rosa Lote No 601?
Although the Lot 601 is a basic ruby, it really was more along the lines of a lower tier LBV. The Rosa had more dark fruit and balance in it, and actually seemed like it needed a year or two to reach its best. Whereas the Six Grapes has more bright red fruit and does not have the pronounced tannins and acid that the Rosa had. The 100% "A" grade grapes and some foot treading of grapes shows in the overall quality of the Rosa.

For me, there is about a $6-7 price difference. That doesn't sound like much, but when the Rosa is $10-11 and the Six Grapes is $16-17, the Rosa is the better deal of the two. And for my tastes, I would get the Rosa before the Graham's.

But the simple, easy to drink, Six Grapes is still a favorite. Its nothing out-of-this-world, but still a pleasure to drink. And one that I think the non-port drinker would enjoy and understand more. If I had to sum it up in just one sentence....I would akin the Six Grapes to a new-world wine and the Rose to a more old-world rustic wine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

For Todd and Alan,

Take the remainder of the Armilar Bolognaise Sauce. Add 1 tin of red kidney beans, the last glass of Armilar port and 1 teaspoon of chilli powder. Cook for 15 minutes and serve with baked potato (or rice)

Yum yum 8)

Perhaps last night I should have given it a 10-5 - but now it is definately a 10-0 as there is none left :cry:

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

NOW we're talkin Derek!!! :D :D

Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

You guys just need to come to Southern California....I'll show you some authentic Mexican food with plenty of Chili in it to knock your socks off. Doesn't pair to well with Port, but you won't be hungry for a good 24 hours after :P
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

If I do come all the way back down to Cali.. especially Southern Cali, it sure won't be for the Mexican food! :) I guess we could have that one night, but I am genuinely afraid of what it would do to me that would take me out of commission for, or at the very least, negatively affect, our SoCal Offline! :D

Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd,
Authentic Mexican food is SOO much better than any fast food or store bought stuff. So full of flavor....the only problem is it is very heavy and feels heavy in the stomach....but you won't be hungry even after a long night of Port drinking. Besides I would swear it absorbes the alcohol so you can drink even more :twisted:
Kris Henderson

Post by Kris Henderson »

Wow, what a difference a day has made for the Quinta de la Rosa Finest Reserve. The nose has opened up to reveal some blackberry and other darker fruits. On the palate, the wine has gained weight and the astringent tannins have completely resolved leaving a nicely structured wine. Still some heat on the finish but it's not excessive. Yesterday, this was a decent ruby port that's good for what it is but probably not worth buying again. Today, it's a pretty damn good ruby port that is worth buying again. I was too harsh with my score and feel it now warrants an 85, possibly more.

The Graham's six grapes hasn't changed as much. It's still very nice and I slightly prefer it to the Finest Reserve.

Andy, Thanks for the comparison. I'll keep a look out for the Lot 601.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Todd Pettinger wrote:Taylor First Estate TN: +31 hours
As stated very accurately by Alan, the aftertaste really is "soil-ly." The astringent acidity and a lot of the alcohol seem to have blown over though, so it is a bit easier to drink tonight than last night. The fruit detected previously is still there, but I detect an added taste of blueberries that are just at the point where they are about to turn bad. Not as pleasant as I would have hoped for the price.

Finish is still fairly short, with an herbal, medicinal aftertaste mixed in with the soil.

I guess I could use it to rinse the decanter with, although to be fair, it is easier after 24 hours of air/decanter time than when fresh out of the bottle.

One to avoid.

Todd
Well, there was still a quarter of a bottle left, 12 days later. I was hesitant to try it at all, but there has been no sauce worthy of this one as of late AND I figured it couldn't get any worse than it already was.

Surprise, surprise... the medicinal taste has died down considerably, leaving a very slight spirit note. After almost two weeks of being open, this bottle finally seems drinkable. :D Not as astringent/harsh as originally noted, no soil taste, still a very short end-palate/after-taste, but that is likely a good thing.

While this is still not one I would recommend, it is one I will try again, but likely open and allow to sit for 1 week+ before trying it out.

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Surprise, surprise... the medicinal taste has died down considerably, leaving a very slight spirit note. After almost two weeks of being open, this bottle finally seems drinkable.
Imagine if the producer actually figured out a way to make a sound Port (from the get to) that would not have to wait this long to be worthy of putting in your mouth? That would be quite an achievement, eh? :roll:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com