May 2007 Virtual Tasting: Ruby or Reserve Ruby

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Todd,

take out the flowery descriptions, and I'm beginning to suspect we have similar tastes. I tried this First Estate a month or so back, when it was on offer at Costco, and was dissapointed under similar circumstances. Harsh to the point of it tasting like a Cheap Greek Brandy (Metaxa), unsubtle flavours, vaguely medicinal, with a soil aftertaste.
Got me through a couple of evenings though, but thats because I have no class! :oops:

The good news on us potentially having similar tastes, is I look forward to you stumbling across a Gem of a Port, and letting us all know, because if its available and affordable, I will be inspired to give it a go with a dash of optirmism. (But dont bother telling me you've just had a superb Fonseca 2003!!! :lol: )

Your point on the 'Fruit Burst' is fair enough. But the humourist in me does wonder why such a person doesn't have a large cool glass of Ribena (Branded Blackcurrant juice, over here) and then have one of the better LBV's, while leaving the future jewel to sleep soundly through its adolesence.

Alan.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alan C wrote: with a soil aftertaste.
Got me through a couple of evenings though, but thats because I have no class! :oops:
Alan, I am presently sipping the 1st estate and as soon as I read this, I immediately tasted this exact nuance in it. Well done! You nailed exactly what I was looking for in an update for tonight's tasting of the same port, having sat for 30+ hours now.
Alan C wrote:The good news on us potentially having similar tastes, is I look forward to you stumbling across a Gem of a Port, and letting us all know, because if its available and affordable, I will be inspired to give it a go with a dash of optirmism. (But dont bother telling me you've just had a superb Fonseca 2003!!! :lol: )
Oh come now man... what kind of low-life scum do you think I am??? The Fonseca that I just opened (too young) and am enjoying (despite lucifer - and Alan C - marking my soul for immediate deportation to the land of fire and brimstone) is a 2001, not 2003!!! :D (And no, I haven't cracked these yet, despite them being the Guimaraens and likely able to drink younger than a classic VP! I'll be saving it for the June Virtual Tasting!!! ;))
Alan C wrote:Your point on the 'Fruit Burst' is fair enough. But the humourist in me does wonder why such a person doesn't have a large cool glass of Ribena (Branded Blackcurrant juice, over here) and then have one of the better LBV's, while leaving the future jewel to sleep soundly through its adolesence.

Alan.
Umm... :oops: good point, however blackcurrant juice (or grape juice for that matter) and vodka probably don't taste quite as good as port! ;)

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Taylor First Estate TN: +31 hours
As stated very accurately by Alan, the aftertaste really is "soil-ly." The astringent acidity and a lot of the alcohol seem to have blown over though, so it is a bit easier to drink tonight than last night. The fruit detected previously is still there, but I detect an added taste of blueberries that are just at the point where they are about to turn bad. Not as pleasant as I would have hoped for the price.

Finish is still fairly short, with an herbal, medicinal aftertaste mixed in with the soil.

I guess I could use it to rinse the decanter with, although to be fair, it is easier after 24 hours of air/decanter time than when fresh out of the bottle.

One to avoid.

Todd
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Berry's Vintage Character (Taylor's)
A bottle from Tom's cellar, believed bottled around 30 years ago.

Decanted cleanly off lots of sediment, much more than I expected from a filtered wine. The colour is still quite dark red but starting to brown. For me this has quite a typical Taylor's nose. It has nice thick tears on the glass. Mouthfeel is light but smooth and still some attractive fruit showing. A slightly burnt taste emerges quite quickly and then the kind of warm glow that one would always expect from a Taylor's port. Although obviously past it's best this is a very pleasant drink.

Score: 4-3
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

uncle tom wrote:You didn't waste any time popping one then.. :D

Tom
Tom, I have to disagree - I got home at 16:30 and didn't open this until 22:00 :lol: :lol:

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Last note: Taylors First Estate Ruby
MY good lord, this has gone from bad to worse. Apparently, the note I took last night was probably the port drinking at its apex. It has since gone downhill... WAY downhill. The alcohol has become very pronounced - a hot finish. The mouthfeel is very thin and shallow, with hot, spice and spirit over-pronounced.

And there is still a tad less than a third of a bottle left. It's fate is destined to the cooking spice cupboard... when next I make a spaghetti sauce, it will likely find its way in.

I've had to give this up to switch over to an LBV. What a relief! ;)
Now I'm REALLY looking forward to the June VT!

Todd
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Armilar Ruby Update

1 week on and all the harsh shuddery things have gone. Now smells of cabbage but the taste is reasonably OK.

Still won't buy it again

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Derek Turnbull wrote:smells of cabbage
Yikes!!! :shock: Thanks for taking one for the team Derek - not like this is available (or likely ever WILL BE) around me, but if I'm ever "somewhere else" and see it, I'll run screaming for the hills.

Todd
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Warre's Heritage Ruby - notes taken last month but thought that I'd stick them in to compare with Al-B's notes:

OK, time to test it, straight after opening.

Dark ruby with an amber tinge, quite thick. Nose of orange peel and caramel, with a few raisins. Mouth, it becomes more grapefruit, more dry than expected but pleasant and a good finish: could actually be better than Warrior. Errmmm... well worth a fiver. I'm going to Asda tomorrow and getting some more.

A day later:

I have to admit that this got actually a little better with some lovely citric tones, seemed to get sweeter. I used the last in the Steak and Kidney pie and had to open another bottle.

Oh yes, went back and bought another four bottles - well worth a fiver each.

Conclusion - Rubies are a bit dull, aren't they? When you get a bad one, it awful. When you get a good one, it's just OK. The best ones are the most simple ones.

Used about a quarter of a bottle in Spag Bol last night and it was excellent.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

KillerB wrote: Conclusion - Rubies are a bit dull, aren't they? When you get a bad one, it awful. When you get a good one, it's just OK. The best ones are the most simple ones.
Alex, I think you nailed it with this statement.

I am getting excited for the June VT :D :cool:

Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex,

I would generally agree that some are dull. Obviously, there are excpetions that. The bad ones are bad, yes, but I disagree that the good ones are simple. I've had plenty that had some complexity to them...maybe not a lot compared to a top mark LBV or VP, but still had some complexity to them.

Had you said that some good ones are simple, yes, but not all.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I was generalising.

I have had a very good Ruby, provided by the Rootses and the name of which I've completely forgotten - oops, sorry Ronnie.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Ruby Porto by Gilberts

Spotted this in Asda again. The bottle stands out as trying to emulate the Otima styling. Similar shaped bottle but dark. Sparse graphics and only 50cl. Cost a fiver again. There is also a LBV and a white port! Investigation reveals Sogevinus, Villa Nova de Gaia, imported by Scousers.

Colour is a very dark ruby. Good viscosity. Nose is reasonably alcoholic with a touch of VA. On opening it also smelled quite oxidised. This is followed in the mouth but with added dark cherries. Warm finish with a spicy aftertaste.

Not bad and the spicy finish is interesting but I'm not sure it's nice. Might chill it to see what happens.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

KillerB wrote:I was generalising.

I have had a very good Ruby, provided by the Rootses and the name of which I've completely forgotten - oops, sorry Ronnie.
It was the Quinta do Javali Special Ruby. But I agree, most rubies are dull.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I knew that if I shut my eyes and concentrated really hard that the answer would appear. Mind you 24 hours concentrating with your eyes shut does drag after a bit. Thanks Ronald.

Trying this Gilbert grape again, this time chilled and with some cheese (the Montgomery Cheddar and Colston Basset Stilton). It does take me some time to get through cheese, so yes these are the same lumps that I had two weeks ago.

Chilled it is actually better, my suspicions were right. Sweetness comes out more and the slightly odd bitterness recedes. Montgomery is a very powerful Cheddar: sharp, nutty and massively flavoured. Croft 1977 went extremely well with it, this just tastes sweet after it; not a bad thing, just no notable flavours.

Colston Basset is my favourite Stilton and the Neal's Yard special uses animal rennet (take note Mars Bar fans) and is even better, if it were humanly possible. Sadly, it kills this poor little Ruby. The bitterness comes back even chilled and it turns into a hotch-potch of sour, bitter and sweet that doesn't work. I grant you that I paid considerably more for the Croft 1977.

This Port is OK, that's all. Can't blame them for the marketing, if it works for average Port then good luck to them.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

KillerB wrote:Ruby Porto by Gilberts
Alex,

Just curious - is Gilberts a supermarket chain where this would be a "house porto" that you UK guys talk about all the time? (unfortunately, we have no such thing as ports that are bottled specifically for a market here in Canada, perhaps because alcohol is not allowed to be sold in a supermarket her :?)

I'm just curious, because I have never come across a reference to Gilberts.

Thanks,

Todd
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Nope, it's real. They used to be old and fusty but now they are young and modern: cute bottles; graphics; marketed to twenty-somethings. Same old tosh inside though. They even do a "Vintage Porto" in the same cutesy-pie bottles:

http://www.gporto.com/

Note that all the awards are for design and marketing, not for the wine.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

It's been a while since I tasted anything from Gilberts, the last time was on a fair, I've posted something about it here.

I believe Gilberts now acts as an independent brand under Sogevinus, but it was originally a second label of Burmester (the family name of the former owners was Gilberts). I noticed that G'Porto is now also widely available in stores in the Netherlands, but somehow I didn't feel the urge to buy yet... :wink:
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Oh, go on, give it a go. Have a go at a bottle of the G Whizz or the G String (if it doesn't get stuck in your teeth).

As Stevie pointed out and I have intimated, a good winemaker would be very welcome. The styling is great and the marketing brash and uncompromising, but this could really do with a good glass of Port inside it.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Agree. It is actually a good way of attracting a new and younger audience to port wine. But the quality needs to be at least moderately good to win people over for port. The Otima's are doing a better job at that IMO.