June Virtual Tasting

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ahh, that too :shock:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alan C wrote:Todd,

Do you think they do that so that the Roy's of this World can spread the word......AND THE REST OF US CAN LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'd have felt let down if I hadn't said that, wouldn't you.

Alan
I would expect nothing less Alan! ;)

On a more serious thought: I wonder if Roy had to give them moeny to have it shipped over or if it is provided as a "professional courtesy" to the major port ratings folks... It can be written off as a business expense and what better way to get your product's name "OUT THERE" in relatively short order. Brilliant!

(Of course, that doesn't prevent me from STILL being way jealous that Roy has a grail of said holy water :?)

Todd
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

A small point on this marvelous grape juice you guys tried.

It my understanding that there's no hygiene issues with the finished product, because of the fermentation and fortification kills off any bacterial issues.

But if you drink the juice just after its been trodden!!! Yummy!

Have I got that wrong in any way?

Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

OK guys, the level of interest is high enough to let you see this juice.....

Here is a picture of it in the lagar, less han 24 hours after having 50 or 60 feet in it :D

...and here it is being drunk by me - I still have the unwashed glass in my kitchen cupboard 8)

Derek

PS: The 2 glasses in my left hand contain NN63 and NN94 8) 8)
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Derek,

Great pictures...apart from that ugly bloke ruining the last one!

I'm sure I'm in a minority of one with you nuts, but as much as I adore the traditional methods, feel privilaged to drink the end result in its drinking window, would love to visit the Valley and take in all those experiences, and thoroughly enjoy listening to your recollections and seeing your snaps....

I have no envy in drinking grape juice that was trodden on a few hours earlier by a gang of hairy a@#ed men with sweaty feet!

I'll get my coat and sit in the wimps room, but I'd be drinking the other glasses you mentioned, and smiling, or laughing at your bravery. :D

Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan C wrote: I'm sure I'm in a minority of one
Yes, you are - you have no sense of adventure. No doubt if you hadn't become a policeman you would have established an exciting career at the Health & Safety Executive :?

Derek

PS: I agree, the ugly guy did spoil the picture - Andy should have used a different flash setting to capture the true colour of the juice :roll:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Wow, you can actually see a grape "chunky" in the glass of juice you are drinking! :)

Now that Alan has brought it up, that may seem a bit revolting given the worst case scenario... but I can tell you this, given a chance to drink from the holy grail itself (the Nacional lagar) I am sure I could have gotten past what MIGHT be lurking in the nectar. :D

That is a great pic Derek. Really very cool. And with NN63 and 94 in the other hand?? The only way that could be any more perfect would be a pair of decanters with NN31 and Noval 31 on a table in front of you. :)

Paradise!

Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ahh the memories, and to think that lagar sample came at the END of all the other stuff. It truly was the best ending to a wine/port related dinner I've ever had. I mean, come on, I'm sure not many outsiders get to dig in straight from the fresh lagar....and I don't care what was in there, there was no way I was not going to to drink it. :D

Many thanks to Christian Seeley for an awsome evening :salute: :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'm very pleased to see that Derek has been properly brought up by his Granny in Scotland. She clearly taught him that when in polite company and "taking tea with guests" he should extend his little finger when drinking from his tea cup.

Good to see the tradition continuing even in the unfamiliar surroundings of the port world.

That juice was quite something. Sweet, immensely jammy and really delicious. But I don't think that it was anything that would be considered drinkable as it was just so sweet and cloying.
I have no envy in drinking grape juice that was trodden on a few hours earlier by a gang of hairy a@#ed men with sweaty feet
And if the idea of drinking juice stright from the lagar puts you off your food, you should have seen Andy licking his feet when he climbed out of the lagar at Vesuvio. Now that grape juice was good (he said).

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'm very pleased to see that Derek has been properly brought up by his Granny in Scotland. She clearly taught him that when in polite company and "taking tea with guests" he should extend his little finger when drinking from his tea cup.
Maybe the Port brought forth the impression of being a little woody :?:

And if the idea of drinking juice stright from the lagar puts you off your food, you should have seen Andy licking his feet when he climbed out of the lagar at Vesuvio. Now that grape juice was good (he said).
I heard Mario questioning Andy why he was biting his toenails after licking his feet. I was shocked by the answer, "it adds great texture to the mouth feel." :shock: I was glad to see he brushed his feet :thumbsup: and washed his mouth when he was done. :yumyum:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Do you think they do that so that the Roy's of this World can spread the word......AND THE REST OF US CAN LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!

You'd have felt let down if I hadn't said that, wouldn't you.

Alan

Next, I'll have Alan :devil: believing my cask sample TNs of the 2007 Taylor VP! :wall:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Frederick,

Being the moderator of the VT forum... Do you concur with this "young VP" tasting for June? ;)
I hope so, because I am actually looking forward to the Q do Roriz 2004 that is currently approaching a move to Death Row, from which it is unlikely to go through a reprieve, unlike many other bottles I have placed on Death Row lately and then move back as others replace them.

Todd
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Todd,

I've known Fred for 3 or 4 years now and can say with some certainty that he will be happy to open a young-un' :wink:

Go make your bottle walk the Green Mile, sit it in Old Sparky and read it it's last rights :lol:

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Derek,

Only 8 more days until June... only 8 more days.... :D

Just wanted to try to turn the "direction-making" back from the inmates to Fred, who is supposed to be the warden of this particular wing of the hospital! :D

(That being said, I'm interested to try a young'un that didn't cost me $100+ like all the 2003s are (£50) That kind of money for an infanticide young'un is a bit steep :?)

Todd