June Virtual Tasting

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

June Virtual Tasting

Post by Derek T. »

Given all the discussion around young versus old VP (and just to annoy Alan) I thought it might be interesting to have a VT dedicated to "VP with less than 4 years bottle age", which would be 2001 to 2004 unless anyone has a 2005 cask sample :roll:

Given that lots of us will have tasted some of the top house offerings from this period it might be nice to limit this, so far as people can manage, to VP's from lesser houses that are likely to mature early and cost a pitence. This would also let the Brits hold onto their dignity and sanity in that we would not be commiting infanticide against those worthy of a long life :?

I have a Calem 2002 to offer as an example - given the shipper and the year I have no intention of letting this take up more cellar space/time than is necessary so I have no problem popping the cork.

Please stay away from the top shippers and 2003 if you can, although these will be welcome if you cannot access anything else in scope. The intention is to find some good early drinking juice at the middle to bottom end of the market from 2001, 2002 and 2004.

What do you think?

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

And I thought it was Anthony Burgess who was the last big Double Agent who betrayed the Empire!

:wall: :) :wall:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

That sounds kinda like fun.

And, if this sounds good to everyone else, will give people plenty of time to find a bottle locally, if they don't already have one. (as for many here in the states the weather is getting hot and shipping is pretty much over.)

Now, all of you need to get back to the May VT and post your notes on a Ruby or Reserve Ruby :!:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

And I thought it was Anthony Burgess who was the last big Double Agent who betrayed the Empire!

Dove of Peace or Trojan Horse? - you decide :wink:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote:

Dove of Peace or Trojan Horse? - you decide :wink:
Either way, a 12-guage will take care of it :wink: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy V. wrote: And, if this sounds good to everyone else, will give people plenty of time to find a bottle locally
Andy,

That is exactly why I thought of posting this early - I have sometimes found myself unable to contribute because I do not have an in scope bottle. Glad you like the idea, especially as Alan has already taken the bait :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote: That is exactly why I thought of posting this early - I have sometimes found myself unable to contribute because I do not have an in scope bottle. Glad you like the idea, especially as Alan has already taken the bait :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derek
Yes, last month was the first VT I didn't contribute too. Just really busy and wasn't able to get a bottle on short notice
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

This does sound like fun. I would likely be looking at a 2004 Roriz as I know this is available locally. I (briefly) entertained the idea of popping a 2001 Fonseca Guimaraens, but shelved the idae with the rules (no major labels.) I agree whole-heartedly - it may also end up opening the purchase of a few of the 'lesser labels' that normally we would avoid.

Todd
Edited to remove an inaccuracy.
Last edited by Todd Pettinger on Fri May 11, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Todd,

You have introduced an interesting question - is Fonseca Guimaraens a "major label" - my vote would be a definate "NO"

Just to clarify my intention, although others can obviously disagree, I am suggesting that we taste bottles that match the following criteria:

No 1st labels of top tier shippers
No "Classic" vintages - ie in this context, not 2003

Examples of what I think would qualify would be....

Calem 2002
Roriz 2004
Sandeman Vau
Niepoort Secundum
Fonseca Guimaraens
Graham's Malvedos
Any SQVP except Noval, Noval Nacional or Vesuvio

...and those that would not qualify:

Any 2003 from a major shipper
Any Quinta do Vesuvio
Anything from Noval except Silval

Derek

PS: If you can't source anything else then any of the non-qualifier's and their like will be fine - my political agenda is all inclusive 8) - the only absolute rule would be "VP with 4 years or less bottle age"
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Well then, perhaps I'll be in for TWO TNs in next month's virtual tasting... :cool: I can hardly wait for June if this is what we end up going ahead with! :D
Which reminds me... I gotta go find that Special Reserve and get THIS month's VT started!

Andy's single post is looking a bit lonely in there!

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Would my 375 of 06 NN count?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Would my 375 of 06 NN count?
No - because I know you have others that qualify :wink:

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I guess I should not be surprised that of all people on this forum, YOU would have something like this Roy - a Half of a port that has not even been released yet (I assume this is a cask sample, bottled and sent out to special port personalities for advance-tastings?)

How cool is THAT??? (I'm really very jealous!!! ;))

Todd
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Todd,

Do you think they do that so that the Roy's of this World can spread the word......AND THE REST OF US CAN LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'd have felt let down if I hadn't said that, wouldn't you.

Alan
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

No a bunch of us already tried this one 8)

Ok,ok, so it wasn't exactly fortified yet....but
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Andy,

Slake my curiousity....what was it like?

And if you say awful and far too young, I will not be held responsible for my actions!!! :lol:

Alan

NB. thats a good word, 'slake'. Haven't used that one for a while.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Full of toe nails :?

Roy has provided a TN for it in the latest Newsletter 8)
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

So it was like this...

2006 Quinta do Noval Nacional Vintage Port (Lagar sample) – My “tasting note” is mostly written tongue in cheek, as this is not even wine yet, no less a Vintage Port. I am willing to bet that very few have ever been privileged to sip NACIONAL juice directly from the lagar, shortly after it was foot trodden. Remarkably delicious as grape juice, an ultra-pure essence of grape hits home in the mouth. Smooth as silk and still cool from its time in the lagar on this night, we were in the right place at the right time. n/r (10/6/06)

Now that is killing it early. Any earlier than that and we are eating the Vine leaves and the soil the vine grows in! :D

Alan
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I got hints of Toe-Jam and sweaty socks :shock:

Just kidding...think of the best grape juice you've ever had :!:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Andy V. wrote:Just kidding...think of the best grape juice you've ever had :!:
The most expensive grape juice EVER!!! :D

Todd