SAQ auction just finished . . .

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Luc Gauthier

SAQ auction just finished . . .

Post by Luc Gauthier »

- 6 bottles , fonseca '63 ( excellent condition ) $ 2000.00
- 3 " Q. de Noval '70 " $ 920.00
- 6 " Burmester 1922 , 1944 & 1963 $ 1525.00
- 6 " 2x Dow , Graham , Warres '85 $ 800.00

Just to name a few . . .
Isn't the great white north great . . . NOT !!!

McCain
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

Indeed,

These prices were crazy, even the 1991 lot which had some interesting stuff is selling for more than 100$ a bottle...
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

$100 a bottle I can almost grasp, despite it being 1991. Some of these prices though - WOW. :shock:

It is too bad... it seems that Vintage Port may share the dubious "honour" of being ranked up with several other "fads" that artificially inflate the price for a period of time but, with luck, will die away allowing us, the true connoisseurs a chance to buy some truly old, hopefully great VPs.

It is "cool" to drink VPs, especially old ones in some social circles at the moment and unfortunately that means we must bear the inflated prices for the time being. It just sickens me to think that some of these lots may have been "won" by folks with no true understanding of, or true appreciation of these fine Ports. They may be consumed at a social gathering where it will inflate that person's status amongst his social network, but will fail to garner the respect and awe that some of these bottles are deserving of.

Todd
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Borges 1985, 6 bottles, 1350$. I just don't get it...
Robin Levesque
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Oh Well......

Just ticking Canada off the Emigration list. :lol:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Robin L. wrote:Borges 1985, 6 bottles, 1350$. I just don't get it...
:shock: now that is way over priced
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I read Todds Post on the subject, but I still cant get my head around why there is so many complications in buying alcohol. What happened to Free Trade and Open Borders! :(
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan C wrote: What happened to Free Trade and Open Borders! :(
The British and French Empires :? - I'm sure if you trace it all back our approach to liberating the new world will be to blame
Derek
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Alan ,
The SAQ was created in 1921 , oddly enough , Québec was tho only province in Canada that didn't "officialy" prevent the sale of wine or beer .

The SAQ has become a cash cow for the government ( revenu over 1 billion in '96 ) so we quebecers still haven't learned !!!
Until sales drop significantly , the SAQ will not lower its prices to reflect the north american market . . .
Since alcohol is of provincial jurisdiction , the federal government stays out .

Luc
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Luc, you are so correct. The various middle-men that we have to go thru in other provinces just fuels the over-inflated prices. Each guy has to take 'his cut' and usually, just for signing a freaking piece of paper. No work involved. This is a GREAT scheme. I gotta get me into this! :D

Todd