June 2007 Virtual Tasting : Get a VP from 2001 +

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

2004 Quinta do Retiro Novo

Post by Rich Greenberg »

2004 Quinta do Retiro Novo (Krohn)

Opened from 750ml bottle, acquired from Robert's Market in Woodside at $26usd. As expected, cork was pretty much pristine, and came out easily. Decanted and let sit an hour. Deep, inky purple. Pretty solid color to the rim. Relatively long & lasting legs.

1 Hour: Noticeably missing the raisins and prunes from the nose. Very fruit forward aroma, no really noticeable heat. It has a very deep flavor of cherries, with a hint of spice at the end, cinnamon, maybe. Some ripe plum flavor, medium long finish with some good tooth-coating tannins coming through. It does not have the "thickness" on the tongue that you would expect of a VP, but I would guess that's due to it's being an infant (youngest VP I've ever had, though I have, admittedly, had very few VP's!!) Very youthful and vibrant wine, with all of the fruit that you would expect of one so young. I suspect this will improve a bit with time, but doubt it will develop the body and viscosity of a higher quality VP. Nonetheless, this is very enjoyable, and different than the LBV's I have had in a similar price range -- maybe heavier?

2 Hours: (Tannins) fruit has migrated in a blueberry direction (tannins), still a reasonably long burst of fruit (tannins), nice medium-long finish (tannins), with just a slight hint of heat(tannins.) Did I mention tannins? I think they are dominating about now..... ;)[/i]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I also tried the 2004 Quinta do Retiro Novo. The past few days have been a bit hectic to say the least, but I promise to post it in th next few days. Sorry for being a bit late.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

2001 VP Quinta do Vale Meão

Decanted for 4 hours, this guy shows a dark violet color with no signs of evolution. The nose, a little closed at the beginning, became to show plums, cherries, raisins and some chemical that already found in 2004 VP. Then came liquorice and some violets. Average body with a long finish with the cherries taste. Good but not great
Would give a 16,5/20 (this is my first numerical note i gave to a wine, so be kind if i am underscoring this wine.)

Cumps,

João Rico
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I'll have to delay and opt out of a timely TN for June as a pretty good cold and stuffed up nose has me barely tasting the past 2 weeks of chicken soup.

I only would have made Derek mad anyways :D , as all I could find up my way were two 2003 VP's. I had the '03 SmithWoodhouse on Death Row, but he was granted a pardon and is now back in confinement for a scheduled death in 2028 or so.
Scott Anaya