Unfiltered LBV's

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Robin L.

Unfiltered LBV's

Post by Robin L. »

I'm doing a list of unfiltered LBV's (like Paul did or still does with VP) down to 1977 and I was wondering if someone could help me with a useful link. Wine Searcher is not so efficient because lots of them are sold since a long time when we talk about LBV's before 1985 or even early 90's (but everything is fine for 2000 and up).

Houses on sight:
Burmester
Churchill
Ferreira
Krohn
Martinez
Niepoort
Offley
Pocas
Crasto
Heredias
Infantado
Noval
Rosa
Santa Eufemia
Tedo
Vale Dona Maria
Ventozelo
Ramos Pinto
SW
Warre's

If you could help me, it would be very appreciated.

Rob
Robin Levesque
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud

Smith-Woodhouse

Post by Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud »

They make very good traditional LBV.
Best Regards
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud
Winetalk http://winetalk.forum-2007.com
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

I believe Quinta do Portal does unfiltered also and possible Rozes
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Bjorn,
Yes, they are; I could suggest, by the way, the Quinta das Heredias 1999 which has a lot to offer, if you can find it in Norway.

Raj,
It is strongly possible that Quinta do Portal should be included but Rozès make modern LBV's for what I know. Thanks for the idea, I'll check.

I'm looking precisely for years that every house releases their LBV; Niepoort for example, have a '92, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01 but I have stricly no clue about older than that cause I don't have any of them and they're totally absent on Wine Searcher...
Robin Levesque
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rozes makes an unfiltered LBV.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Apparently, I've got a wrong info from a book (never tried Rozes yet)

Thanks Andy
Robin Levesque
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Some additions:

Barão de Vilar
Qta. d. Baldias
Qta. d. Bucheiro
Qta. d. Javali
Qta. d. Romaneira
São Pedro das Aguias
Vallegre (Vista Allegra)
And possible Messias (I’ll have to check)

- Both Warre and Rozès make a filtered as well as an unfiltered LBV. The Rozès is called the “Reserve Edition” (try it: it's goooood).
- I have not come across a recent Martinez LBV, but the ’95 was still a filtered Port.
- I *think* Portal and Heredias are filtered, but I could be wrong – I’ll have to check my bottles.
- Noval used to be filtered; I think the first unfiltered LBV (in recent times at least) was the ’92.

It will be hard to compile a list of vintages produced for all of them…I can help you a bit with the Niepoort vintages produced not already mentioned in your post: ’75, ’81, ’82, ’84, ’86, ’90, ’94 and ’95 (but there might be more). The oldest Burmester I’ve seen was the ’64. Crasto: ’90. Ramos Pinto: ’27. Romaneira: ’86.
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Steven,
Thanks for Niepoort, I'll adjust. Concerning Heredias, they're unfiltered for sure. About, Baldias, Bucheiro. Romaneira and Javali, it's a good thing to know because I've never seen them here In Canada, I just know them by names and could'nt say a word about their reputation.

Rob
Robin Levesque
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud

Thanks

Robin, thanks for the tip.
Best Regards
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud
Axel Probst

Donst forget Smith Woodhouse

Post by Axel Probst »

Hi as Im not aware if your list is complete. Dont forget Smith Woodhouse as they are producing some outstanding traditional LBV.

Axel
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud

LBV 1995

I just posted the Smith-Woodhouse 1995 LBV
Best Regards
Bjørn Tore Aastorp Ruud
Ray Queally

Post by Ray Queally »

Robin,
pretty good list IMHO I can tell you from experience that the Noval unfiltered LBV is a star performer. I hear good things about the Rozes but have not tried it.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ray Queally wrote: I hear good things about the Rozes but have not tried it.
Im doing an experiment with the 1994 Rozes unfiltered LBV. I've had wo bottles already and plan to open one a year for the next couple years to see how it comes along. So far it has improved quite a bit from the first bottle I opened about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Andy, I'm amist the same experiment. I've had different unfiltered LBVs several different times over the last 3-4 years. To see if and how they evolve. I must say the Noval 97 has been an interesting one. It was the first LBV my wife and I truly loved. It went through a phase for the last two years where the fruit seemed more tame and the alcohol seemed a bit stronger. The body seemed to weaken, but there were no changes in the tannin level. Last bottle about a month ago was just starting to come out of this "phase"