Malvedos 1996

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ray Queally

Malvedos 1996

Post by Ray Queally »

There's a Grahams Malvedos staring at me from the wine rack. I was going to place this in the wine fridge until the cool weather comes back but summer seems to have passed the UK by !!
Any thoughts on whether this is ready to go ? (my hunch is yes)

And suggestions on decant times would be useful.

Thanks all.

Ray
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ray a very tasty SQVP..here is my last TN of it from 03/01/06

1996 Graham Porto Vintage Quinta dos Malvedos

A wonderful Single Quinta Vintage Port. Nose of plums and blackberries. The color got noticably darker with time. Great fruit flavors that coated the mouth and a long finish. This was decanted for 8 hours before drinking. It needed this long to integrate and for the heat to blow off. This port is very young and needs at least 5 years more in the cellar. Will age nicely for at least another 10-15 years. 93 points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Queally

Post by Ray Queally »

Thanks Andy.
On the basis of that TN I may hold off for a while.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

You might check out my note on the 1995 Malvedos posted almost simultaneously with yours. I have not had the 96 but I would expect the consistent quality. Buy a case and try a couple and lay down the rest!
Richard Henderson
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Please post a tasting note or impression as this is a significant year for me that I haven't been able to get a few good bottles for.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Raj,

That '96 Malvedos is a very good SQVP and worthy of a buy. You won't be let down...just give it a long decant if you open one soon.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Raj,
Ray,

The '96 Malvedos (and the '96 Vargellas) are both wines that are easily available in the UK at the moment - it seems to be the vintage of choice offered by the supermarkets right now.

But I can only echo Andy's comments. To my taste this wine is still very young and has the guts and stuffing to go on improving in the bottle for at least another 5-10 years. I did not greatly enjoy the last one I opened a few weeks ago as it was a bit "awkward" with the acid , fruit and tannins out of balance with each other for my preferences.

However, I have a few of these in my cellar and I am happy that they are there. I fully expect to open one in 5 years and get a great deal of enjoyment from it, more enjoyment than if I opened it now.

But its still a great idea to try and buy a couple now with one being opened and drunk and the other bring tucked away and forgotten for 5 years.

Alex
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Ray,

If you ever need a hand to drink it, please let me know. :)

Nicos
YOLO
Ray Queally

Post by Ray Queally »

It's a deal Nicos,
but let's make sure neither of us has to run for a train !
(though driving after a bottle of Port is beyond either of us :wink: )
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

haven't found any 1996 malvedos in the denver area, but saw a 95 I'm thinking about - heard it was a good one to try.
Ray Queally

Post by Ray Queally »

Absolutely go for the 95.
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Thanks Ray I'll have to go Pick it up.