2003 Silval VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Saxon

2003 Silval VP

Post by Steve Saxon »

I really know nothing about this wine but I picked up a couple of bottles for $25 a piece. Has anyone tried this wine, and how long to decant? Thanks.
Wine brings truth.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Steve are you talking about the Quinta do Noval Silval or the Quinta do Silval VP. Confusing huh :?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Andy V. wrote:Steve are you talking about the Quinta do Noval Silval or the Quinta do Silval VP. Confusing huh :?
Hi Andy, well I guess Steve Saxon is referring to Quinta do Noval's Silval for Quinta do Silval brand their Ports as "Magalhães" :)

MF
Ray Queally

Post by Ray Queally »

I have some of the 2000 but I'm doing my best to forget about it for a loooong time !
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

I have some 1997 silval, any advice on when to pop the cork? I've had one about 1 1/2 years ago and it was too young for my taste.
Steve Saxon

Post by Steve Saxon »

Mario Ferreira wrote:
Andy V. wrote:Steve are you talking about the Quinta do Noval Silval or the Quinta do Silval VP. Confusing huh :?
Hi Andy, well I guess Steve Saxon is referring to Quinta do Noval's Silval for Quinta do Silval brand their Ports as "Magalhães" :)

MF
Yes, I'm talking Quinta do Noval Silval.....is it any good?
Wine brings truth.
Todd Pettinger

Re: 2003 Silval VP

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Steve Saxon wrote:I really know nothing about this wine but I picked up a couple of bottles for $25 a piece. Has anyone tried this wine, and how long to decant? Thanks.
That is actually (I imagine) a decent price for QdN Silval 2003. I'm not sure why, but the one store that carries it in my area charges just $10 less than the 'full blown' big brother (Noval 2003 - which is $105/bottle.) I know, I know, we get ripped off in Canada :x :hoppingmad:

Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

For $25 I would buy all you can for a very good mid-term drinker. However, this is still very young and not in a pleasurable place to drink right now, IMO. i would opt for a very long decant, say the night before, if you really want to try it. But when I had it last October it was still out of balance and disjointed in its youth.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I have had this alongside the regular and the Nacional at one sitting (in 2006). My notes say highly astringent, and nice but not ready to drink any any means. Tons of tannins and should age for quite a while yet. Nice price though! Just save it for a while.

Jay
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mario was right on about the Magalhaes, which is one of the sleepers of the 2000 Vintage. I have had this a handful of times and it is really very very good. Coincidentally, with the Steve above ... I opened a bottle of the Quinta do Silval Douro Reserva last Friday night and it was very delicious as well and IMO, the best table wine they've ever produced ... and I have literally had every single bottle of dry and Port they've ever made.

That said, the 2000 Quinta do Noval Silval, was perfectly described by Andy :!:
I bought a six pack myself and think that at $25, if I did not have enough Port to last me at least until next year, I would have to buy a case at least. Really a great steal at $25 unless you are talking about half bottles.

Todd,

You need to become a smuggler and save your annual salary in Port buys! I cringed when I read that price for the 2003 Noval, which is a fabulous bottle ... but that price would scare me away and into buying lots of VPs from the 1980s.

Ray & Raj,

The 2000 and 1997 both are very good. Noval may have made the best wine of the vintage in 1997 and the Silval is also of stellar quality. I prefer the 2000, but neither are ready to drink and require long decant times. Both are quite tannic still and the 1997 more so. I'd wait another 10 years for the 1997 and 6-8 years to start approaching the 2000. Both will live on for a few decades, so there is no rush at all.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy Hersh wrote:Todd,

You need to become a smuggler and save your annual salary in Port buys! I cringed when I read that price for the 2003 Noval, which is a fabulous bottle ... but that price would scare me away and into buying lots of VPs from the 1980s.
Roy, you are correct. I'm looking into it! I can barely stand this any more! (And my wiofe really really dislikes the idea of my spending $1200 on a case of 2003 Noval.) Ridiculous really! :shock:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Todd,

Did you ever get in touch with that person I mentioned to you privately. You need to meet and make a run down here. In fact, he'll be down here this weekend. :roll:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com