So when should I drink my 1994 Fonseca?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

So when should I drink my 1994 Fonseca?

Post by Jay Hack »

I have 3 bottles of 1994 Fonseca that I have had since release or there abouts. I know that I should wait until 2024 to drink the first one, but I will be 73 by them, and it doesn't leave a lot of room to spread out the other two. So what three years should I target for opening the three bottles. "At my funeral" is not the correct answer. I already have a 2000 Fonseca for my childdren to drink for that purpose.
Thanks Roy
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jay,

why not wait a couple years until their 15th b-day. Then open one every 5 years there after.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

I allways give this advice for situations like this, and that's the way i usually do. Presuming that you didn't tried yet the wine.....

You have 3 bottles of Fonceca VP 1994. Why not open now the wine and see how it is? IMHO it's great to see a Vintage at full power in the beginning of his life when he just a rebel kid.
Then just 2 to tell a story of a lifetime....
The second must be opened at the adult age (+-2017). The wine is getting sober, the rebel side is still there but much more now the elegance is coming to the stage.
The last one is the more dificult, and should be drinked at an age only great ports can achieve and that's how and when a great port should be "killed". At this time you will have the full story of this wine and you have fullfilled the purpose of it creation. Of course if you will not be here (hope you are) than the previlege will pass to your kids and they will remember that monster of wine dad left for them, in the other hand if you are just call those really special people and srink this beauty with them.

Best regards,

João Rico
Portugal
Richard Beeken

Post by Richard Beeken »

Depends how much you'e got . . .
Personally, I think this is drinking deliciously now with judicious decanting - but, it will no doubt get better.
So I'd drink the first of your ten cases over the next couple of years whenever you felt like something great, then dive into the rest any old time, sving a couple of cases for 2030+.
Seriously, this always engenders a debate for me - this is GREAT stuff now and will be greater later - if you have only a couple of bottles, Id wait as long as you can, but if you have lots or the need is great, I would not feel much guilt about popping one anytime.
By the by, my nearly-go-to port right now is ther 94 Dow from 375's - throwing a surprising amount of sediment, lovely intensity and integration, surprising maturity, relatively inexpensive and plentiful - weill also be wonderful in twenty years or so but itswonderful stuff now.
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

I'd like to second the vote for the Dow 375ml. It's already fantatsic. Just bought a bunch more to last over the next few decades. Luckily I am only 36 :-)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay and Richard are pretty close in age and I am just about a half decade younger. So in our case, with only 3 bottles of the '94 Fonseca (which I have tried this year) ... this is a very different question then if the person asking the question was 30-40 years old.

Given Jay's specific age and the maturity curve of the 1994 Fonseca, I would suggest that he opens a bottle at 60 years old (the wine will be 17) at 65 years old (the VP turns 22) and at 70 years old (the wine is then 27 and showing beautifully ... consider how well the top bottles from a lesser vintage like 1980 show today at 27 ... say the Dow or Graham's!). The reason I suggest the 5 year spreads is that once you hit 70 there is not question that taste buds are no longer as accute as when humans are younger. There is also no guarantees of any tomorrow, but the actuarial tables show a much lower chance over 70 years old. So why not guarantee you are going to be around and still able to enjoy the bottle? Sure it is fine to leave bottle for the next generation, but leave the 2003s for that purpose when you are over 50 now. :lol:

Since I am still below that threshold (at least for a few more days) I can still plan to drink my 2003s. Not.

Jay, you can't take 'em with you and the old line that says it is better to drink a wine a little too young, rather than when it is a little too over the hill, even makes sense for 100 point VPs!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Fortunately, I have managed to buy a decent stash of this wine, and I will not be touching my bottles for probably another 10+years. I am fairly patient... :D
YOLO
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I wish I would have been aware of this port when I was a bit younger, with no mortgage, no kids and without a CFO (Chief Financial Officer) to scrutinize my port purchase budget. Mind you, this port happens to be the year I graduated from high school, and there really is not too much interest in fine wine when you are 18 years old. (My first sip of port wine was still a long 17 years away at that point.) I had my mind on acquisitions of a different sort at that age. :twisted:

Ah, what maturity will do to us!!?? :roll: :D

Todd
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Jay,

While I can't argue with Roy's logic, I would only add in my mischevious way that I just love those 1994s for drinking today. I know that they will only get better, but boy are they good today.

If it was me with a stash of only three bottles, I would probably plan on opening one over the next 12 months and then every 5-7 years after that.

Unless, of course, you have any other 1994s in which case it might be better to sacrifice one of those today and not a Fonseca.

Alex
Jay Hack

Post by Jay Hack »

Todd Pettinger wrote: . . . and without a CFO (Chief Financial Officer) to scrutinize my port purchase budget. . . .
I thought it stood for Chief Female Officer.
Thanks Roy
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Jay,

Have you tasted 1994 Fonseca before? If not, I would open one bottle soon to satisfy your curiosity. Open the second bottle when it is 20 years old. Open the third bottle when it is 30 years old.

If by some unfortunate chance, you don't make it to 73 then your children can have a nice mini horizontal of Fonseca with the 1994 and 2000 :)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Kris Henderson wrote:Jay,

Have you tasted 1994 Fonseca before? If not, I would open one bottle soon to satisfy your curiosity. Open the second bottle when it is 20 years old. Open the third bottle when it is 30 years old.

If by some unfortunate chance, you don't make it to 73 then your children can have a nice mini horizontal of Fonseca with the 1994 and 2000 :)
I'd do the same route and am planning the same action on my 94's of different shippers. Try one now to get the excitement and baseline ready for the 20 year mark. At 20 year mark, make it an event... The last bottle, well save it for the right time based on you 20 year review.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Jay Hack wrote:
Todd Pettinger wrote: . . . and without a CFO (Chief Financial Officer) to scrutinize my port purchase budget. . . .
I thought it stood for Chief Female Officer.
It certainly does stand for that too. :)