DALVA 1952 Golden White -3500 bottles left and counting!

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Gustavo Devesas

DALVA 1952 Golden White -3500 bottles left and counting!

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

There's no better topic to celebrate my 50th post here!!!

Please don't start to make a garage sell or even to sell all the house and wife etc etc...to book speciall flights for Porto...
:lol: :lol: :lol

This is now what we are calling here, a RED WARNING now, no more a orange one, friends!!!

So enoug of cheap text, I 'm writting you my friends to inform you that the precious one, the beauty of my eyes, the special one, the queen, is disapearing!!!

Like it happened with Quinta da Romaneira stock of old Colheitas (I keep my 3 bottles of 83 at home in the safest place here!!!), the stock of DALVA 1952 GW is now just 3500 bottles wich started today are available half in VINOLOGIA :lol: (Of course!) and at El Corte Ingles.
So now you already know, there's 3497 bottles left (3 are already below my bed ahahahahahahah!), and we've started today a speciall partnership with DALVA because we(VINOLOGIA) are officially the best seller of 52 GW in the Iberic Peninsula. There's now a big advertisement at the bar entrance, and I've notest that the curiosity can really kill the cat, with the number of people asking for it, altough I assure my good friends, that there will NOT be a single bottle that will be sold(or as been sold) that the customer don't really know what he's bringing back home,that's one of the big differences between a supermarket and Vinologia in my opinion.
:wink:
:arrow: Let me know wich will be your sins!!! ahaha
:lol:

I 'll be in touch!

Greetings from Porto!
Together we fall, united we stand.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

50 posts is quite commendable but you are still in 2nd place from the Portuguese posting on this website. You'll just have to try harder to beat him! 8--)

In all seriousness, CONGRATULATIONS to my friend Gustavo who was recently enthroned into the Port Wine Institute's Confraria ... and now we are truly Brothers! Not only did the IVDP bring him into the Brotherhood, but Gustavo is one of the youngest members EVER to be enthroned into the Confraria, which is quite a big deal in Port circles! There was quite a buzz in Oporto when he was called up before the Chancellor at the Palacio da Bolsa to receive his official scroll and you can see what they put around his neck. A proud moment for he and his family!

The wine he is speaking of is one of only a very few known white Colheitas in existence. It is incredibly delicious and complex and rivals just about any red Colheita that you are likely to find.

As you have read in my article(s) and tasting notes, during every tour that I guide through Porto ... Vinologia is a must visit for our guests. Even when I head over there on my own, I always make sure to stop at this great denizen of Port, to see Gustavo and his father, with a back bar not to be missed (filled with over 50 bottles of Port at any given moment).

Gustavo, muito obrigado por noticias de '52 Dalva.

Sempre ao dispor!

Um grande abraço,

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've also three bottles, purchased at Vinologia, except they're in my cellar and not under my bed. I'd have gotten more if I had more shipping room!
Gustavo Devesas

:D
Hello Eric, nice to see that you have been at Vinologia!
Did I met you or not?Honestly without a picture it's way too dificult!
What's your 52 edition?bottled in 2006?
This last bottles we have are all bottles in 2007, 55 years in the oak!!!

Take care!

Gustavo
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am not Eric, but I can say that he was on our last trip and was with me on that famous Sunday night. Dinner at a small "club" after a massive tasting at Vinologia will never be forgotten! 8--) I love that place.

He bought the bottles from you and your father Gustavo.

The bigger question is, when is he going to crack one open and for what occasion?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: DALVA 1952 Golden White -3500 bottles left and counting!

Post by David Spriggs »

Congratulations Gustavo on your induction into the Confraria! I wish I could be in Oporto right now... ah well. I would buy a case of that Dalva if I could. If I'm there next year, then I will try :D

By the way, here is a good picture of Gustavo in his element.

I'll see you next time I'm in Oporto!
-Dave-
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Wow, that is a truly unique and very cool racking set up. You can read the labels by looking up at them, with little effort, yet they are all laying properly (horizontally) and accessible.

Very cool, and congratulations Gustavo on your initiation into the Confraria!

Todd
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gustavo,

That is a great white Colheita....I sould be there again in October, so save me a few bottles.

To echo what others have said....when in Oporto area Vinologia is a must visit...relax and let Gustavo and his father serve you some great Ports and look around the shop at all the cool bottles you won't ever see again....unless you buy it
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Also a great place to buy things like the best set of Port tongs known to mankind.

If you look back in the article archives to the Tour of Duty that was written about in the Jan. 2006 newsletter from the Oct. 2005 trip (our very first time taking guests along with us to Oporto/Gaia/Douro) you will see great photos of Vinologia, the famous back bar ... Gustavo, incredible old bottles etc. as well as TNs from that visit.

David, I have a feeling that 3497 bottles of this nectar is not going to last until the Harvest 2008 trip! It reminds me of Wimpy's most famous line, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." I bet half you youngsters out there have no idea what this reference is. :shock:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Here is a pic I took of the bar at Vinologia

YUMMY :winebath: :drunk: :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gustavo Devesas

They are all MINE ahahahah! :twisted:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Andy, besides the IVPs Solar in Porto, Lisboa and I only can assume (never been) to the newest version which is Regua, this MUST be the best Port bar in the world.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gustavo,

Rub it in, we deserve it :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I am not Eric, but I can say that he was on our last trip and was with me on that famous Sunday night. Dinner at a small "club" after a massive tasting at Vinologia will never be forgotten! I love that place.

He bought the bottles from you and your father Gustavo.

The bigger question is, when is he going to crack one open and for what occasion?
Yes, It was great! I also bought a pair of tongs which I'm using as much as possible. I also got a box of those chocolate covered dried figs which I gave to my mother. She wants more! I guess I'll have to come back as soon as possible according to her wishes!

If I managed to get more of the Dalva, I'd open one tomorrow. As is, I might wait until my next birthday coming up.
Last edited by Eric Ifune on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Hello Eric, nice to see that you have been at Vinologia!
Did I met you or not?Honestly without a picture it's way too dificult!
What's your 52 edition?bottled in 2006?
This last bottles we have are all bottles in 2007, 55 years in the oak!!!
Mine are 2006. Interesting that you mentioned that some were bottled in 2007. We had some later in our trip that didn't taste quite as great as at your establishment. Perhaps these were from a different bottling?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric,
Gustavo shipped me some Port tongs over a year ago. i love them and use them quite frequently. next time I head over there I may pick up another pair...after all, one cannot have enough Port tongs :D
Gustavo Devesas

Roy Hersh wrote:Thanks Andy, besides the IVPs Solar in Porto, Lisboa and I only can assume (never been) to the newest version which is Regua, this MUST be the best Port bar in the world.
Thank you Roy, for your entusiastic words about our bar.
I feel a big proud to listen this but in my honest opinion, I think that the Vinologia it's NOT working as it should be or it can be...
Now that I'm "out" from there working in another place(I only go there friday night after work, and Saturday) I see that my parents start to be tired,and little things like decor or exposition of the bottles is many times forgotten, I assume that it's quite "normal" if I go back 7 years and I see that since we 've Vinologia, my parents have never had a single week of vacations, so I imagine the quantity of stress and how tired they are...
It's quite interesting to see that Jean Phillipe first because of his age and lack of organization style, second because he's French (I meen it!!!), it's for me impossible to spend 2 consecutive days with him at Vinologia without "trouble" because we've totally diferent ways of thinking,and I'm always REALLY pissedddddddddd :evil: when I see some cases or bottles NOT in their places!!!It makes me really MAD!!!
To resume, I feel that there's a LOT to do in Vinologia, specially INSIDE of the bar, and it's importante as well "OUTSIDE" with the customer, using my new IT skills ahahahahahhahaha! 8--)
I'm willing to open a new Vinologia, still don't know where, in wich city or country but it's an idea for the future!Who knows that we start to "franchise" VINOLOGIA ahahahahah! :lol:

Take care!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

If I managed to get more of the Dalva, I'd open one tomorrow. As is, I might wait until my next birthday coming up.

I just might have to do that this evening Eric!

Gustavo,

Should you ever decide to open a Vinologia in the 5th largest Port market in the USA which is better known as Seattle ... I would be happy to discuss a partnership. I spent over 25 years in the food and beverage industry before making Port my life. CV upon request. :roll:
Gustavo Devesas

I will definetly think about it, the only problem about going to a foreign country to me is:

1 - How do I get there my "Small Producers Ports!??? I will NEVER resist to have a place only with the big ones!

2 - I'm a total "newbie" about how to "behave" outside Europe!

3 - I have to drag my girl friend with me ... or NOT :lol: :lol: :lol: (It's still dificult to convince women, but I'm making progresses (I think!!!)!

4 - I first need to fulfill one of my traveller's dream's wich is visiting Montreal ahahah and Vancouver, in respect of my beloved Canadian customers, they will never forgive me, on opening a Vinologia in the US without visiting them first! ehehe!
:roll:
Jason Brandt Lewis
Location: Berkeley, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jason Brandt Lewis »

Yes, but that is what people like Roy (or myself) are for . . .
Porto comes from only one place . . . no matter what the label says!