July 2007 Virtual Tasting: Get any Lagrima White Port

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

July 2007 Virtual Tasting: Get any Lagrima White Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Porto Rocha Branco Lagrima:

The color on this is a pale yellow with a brownish tinge. The nose was quite interesting. Very soapy nose with peach, apricot, and lemon. Although that sounds nice, we agreed it smelled like kitchen cleaner :shock: The palate was fairly mid-weight compared to other Lagrima's I've had. There is lots of citrus notes that quickly give way to a horrible lemon medicine finish. The finish was so bad Alex B. and I both spit it out as undrinkable. 73 points

See this thread for pictures of it http://fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/ ... 41&start=0
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gustavo Devesas

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

I dont know why, but I really hate Lagrima Ports...
It's just sugar and there's no soul in it...
I refuse to have that at Vinologia, and I'm sure that in 7 years I've never sold a bottle of that :? You can call me crazy, but I really don't like it!
Together we fall, united we stand.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gustavo,

Suck it up and try one for the sake of the VT forum.....you may be surprised :blah: OK off to bed I go....to many 1800 Ports for me tonight :twisted:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I am sad to say that I have checked every one but one wine store in town (of my regular 'haunts' to purchase port and not a one has a Lagrima White. :sad: :cry: Plenty of Taylor White, Fonseca White, even a Graham's White, which I didn't know they made.

I will be visiting the last of the wine stores in town within the next few days, but as far as Lagrima goes, I am not holding my breath. What a shame.

On to August - July has been a bust for me :(

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I enjoy white Ports and especially old white Colheita Ports (I've now had 3 of 'em) but I have never found a Lagrima that was to my liking. Too sickly sweet, even though there are actually 3 sweetness levels for Lagrimas. But none have ever delivered even a 90 point experience for me. Just not my cup of Port I guess.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I'm waiting for one last call back from a distributor friend, but it appears no dice here in Alaska for Lagrima White either.
Scott Anaya
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I checked 3 local shops this weekend and literally struck out so far on finding ANY Lagrima. I will keep checking. I still have not been to the Spanish Table as of yet.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Adriano Ramos Pinto Lagrima White Port. $16. Sweet and simple. Sweetness is not overpowering. There is a hint of maple sugar. No finish. I'll try this with ice. I don't think I'll buy another.

Gary
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Adriano Ramos Pinto Lagrima White Port, a day later. Still sweet but the flavor is otherwise very muted. The color is like watered down orange Kool-Aid.

I agree with Gustavo's comment: "It's just sugar and there's no soul in it..." Now I have found out for myself.

I would try other lagrima white ports at different sweetness levels, but only out of curiousity. I think that the rest of this bottle will go down the sink, unless I can fool the hummingbirds into trying it.

Gary
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

There was no Lagrima at my wine shop near the job so I've picked something close for this VT.

Offley Cachucha, with 114 g/l of sugar is not as sugary as the Lagrima with 140 g/l of sugar but still it is dominated with flavours and scents of honey and pineapple, grilled almonds reminds us that the wine was aged between 4 and 9 years in barrels. The finale is ok, though showing some burning alcohol, but we should expect this from this kind of wine. 14/20
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Krohn Lagrima (white Port)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Krohn Lagrima

This is a repost from the PP forum yesterday.

Todd, glad to see ya back here. I do hope others chime in soon, I do miss others having a bit of mid-week fun at the "House." Since it's quite hot and muggy here in L.A. I've opened a nicely chilled Krohn's Lagrima White Port.

Nothing special, just a simple easy sipper on a warm summer night. A very pale honey color with hints of yellow. Nose is of candied peaches, orange, and fresh flower pedals. A bit of spirit bites on the palate, but then again I just popped and poured 2 minutes ago. Suble hints of sweet raisins, some faint hints of cheap milk chocolate. A medium short finish round this out. Not super good, but a nice refreshing drink on this warm evening. 83 points
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've never seen it outside Portugal but the best Lagrima I had so far was the Ferreira one. Fresh and balanced and especially not too alcoholic on the palate which I find the most unpleasant with most of Lagrima.

I tried to find my tasting notes on this one but I think I did not take any. I did taste it at Ferreira lodge.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company