Decant or pop and pour LBV's?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Saxon

Decant or pop and pour LBV's?

Post by Steve Saxon »

I always pop and pour but some taste better the longer they sit. So what do you do?
Wine brings truth.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Unfiltered LBV's I almost always prefer to decant.

Filtered one's, depends on my prior experience with it. Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I ususally pop, and pour and taste it over a few days enjoying the changes.
Richard Henderson
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Given the chance, I will decant. For unfiltered LBVs almost always, unless I brought it with me traveling somewhere where no decanter was available.

Jay
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I plan to do a few experiments with both filtered and non-filtered LBVs over the next few months where I will open two identical bottles, decanting one and pop-n-pouring the other. Eventually, I will post notes on my experiment, but I wouldn't expect to see them for at least a half year. I don't drink enough port to make this a SHORT experiment.

Hey, all in the name of science gentlemen... all in the name of Science! :cool: :D

Tpdd
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I always, always, always decant whatever the type of port (ruby or colheita, filtered or unfiltered). You can very quickly see whether it was worth it or not by having a sip of the port immediately after decanting and then compare your impression of it at that time with your impression of it when you sit down to consume it a few hours later.

With very rare exceptions for spoiled bottles, I always prefer the decanted wine.

Alex
Gilles Séguin

Post by Gilles Séguin »

Most of the time I will decant unfiltered LBV's, depending if I am at home or visiting friends. I did not try to decant filtered port yet.
Todd, I like your experiment idea, looking forward to your results, in the name of science of course. :wink: