How many times a week do you drink Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

How many times a week do you drink Port?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Don't worry, nobody from AA is reading this Forum. So, be honest ... how many times a week, or if you prefer ... per month?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Maybe two time during the week, and going heavy on the weekends if the chips fall in place.

Friday- 80 Sandeman Magnum, 83 Cockburn and the remainder of a 77 Croft. (will have TN's soon)

Saturday- Little of the 80 Sandeman Magnum

Sunday- 85 Croft (will have TN's soon) and finish off the Sandeman.

---Easy Does It.... One day at a time....
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

You sure no one from AA is reading this :wink: :lol:

I almost always have something open in the fridge. Mostly an inexpensive tawny, ruby, 10 or 20 year, or lbv for daily drinking. So I average a glass or two a night on my days off from work....which is four days. Working what normally ends up being 14+ hour work days, there is just no time otherwise.

Of course that all changes for those special occassions, such as "The Great Seattle 50th" as I am calling it now :drunk: :winepour: :winebath: :yumyum:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I usually have two glasses in the morning ( after the night shift ) .
A Colheita or some VP and nothing less than a 20 yr Tawny . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

As I am still learning port, I drink it all I can. I'd say I open a bottle of something (sometimes 750ml, often 350ml) every two weeks or so and will drink it over the course of a few days having a glass or two a night.

I also travel a lot, so when I am on the road, I may have a glass of port at a restaurant instead of dessert.

Bob
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

I'd say four sometimes five nights a week. Usually three nights during the weekday where I often forgo table wine with the home cooked meal so I can drink a little extra Port on school nights.

Then I almost always have a bottle over the weekend no matter if it is an evening at a friends house, sneaking it into the movie theatre, or (like this past weekend) at a freinds cabin in the wilds--although this weekend it was a Blandy's ten year Madeira, if that counts :?: :D
Scott Anaya
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

how many times a week

Post by dave leach »

maybe once every two weeks we have a bottle of older vintage port, usually if we are entertaining. i'm not big on buying vp by the glass in restaurants, it seems like every time i've tried some, its stale and tired and has lost its fruit. i am a binge port drinker. a case thansgiving week, a case and a half christmas week, and for my upcoming weeklong vacation in the mountains of vermont, i'm bringing a 77 warres, a 77 gould campbell, an 80 ferreira(secured from moses botbol!), an 83 gould, and a 94 duff gordon, as well as a 10 year tawny. should help with the stargazing, don't you think?

dave
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Average of about three days a week. Lately it has been 1990 Niepoort colheita. Back to VP in another month or so. I alternate between port and madeira,

Gary
João Rico

Post by João Rico »

Almost every day since i have a 20yo Tawny (this month is Qta do Bom Retiro) for that specific task. Vintages will 1 or 2 per month.

João Rico
David Sweet

Post by David Sweet »

Great question!!

During the week I have a 6-hour daily commute on top of a 8-10 hour workday, so very little during the week. I try to open and finish a bottle most every week-end, especially if it is a 20-year tawny.

I would be very curious if these answers are in addition to other wine (with dinner) or if folks drink port instead of wine.

David
Todd Pettinger

Re: how many times a week

Post by Todd Pettinger »

dave leach wrote:i'm bringing a 77 warres, a 77 gould campbell, an 80 ferreira(secured from moses botbol!), an 83 gould, and a 94 duff gordon
Dave, make sure you bring a notepad to record TNs - I'm particularly interested in the GC 77 and 83 as I have a bottle of the 83 sitting very near death row and have ben looking at obtaining the '77 as well.

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

David,
I hate your commute, and fortunately I don't have to do it!

I do like your question regarding whether this [port consumption] is in addition to, or on top of red table wine consumption.

For myself, I do not like dry table wine and drink it very seldomly, so my own consumption is strictly port. That consumption is typically one or two (usually generous) glasses per night - usually every couple of nights. A bottle a week is around normal. Sometimes, when a couple of bottles are open, singular bottles last a couple of weeks (usually the tawnies and colheitas.)

Some last less than a night! :twisted:

Todd
Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Dave Johnson »

For me it's seasonal. Last fall and winter I drank mature VP's like a maniac.
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

OH NO !! Not another seasonal disorder . . . :wink:
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

how many times a week

Post by dave leach »

todd, i just had an 83 gould the end of june. it was very good, perhaps a little alcohol present even after 10 hours of decanting, but a good, solid port, worth every penny of the $50 it cost. the 77 gould remains a favorite of mine, one of the under appreciated stars of the 77 vintage. it holds up to every port of that year except the taylors (i haven't tried the nacional), and maybe fonseca. to me, its better than grahams or dow, and for the $75 it cost me, it delivers the goods. i bought 2 cases it was so good, i've had 5-6 bottles this year, and none have disappointed me or my guests.

dave
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Thanks Dave! Great feed back.

Unfortunately the price of the '77 GC close to me is around $140 Cdn (about $120 USd, maybe 123ish) and is at a store that I don't believe has ever sat the bottles on their sides :shock: so I may be taking a chance and C$130 is just a bit too steep for something that I am guessing at.

There is a Smith Woodhouse available for C$125 as well from a different (better) vendor, so to get a '77, I'll likely get that one.

Thanks again!

Todd
Luc Gauthier

Re: how many times a week

Post by Luc Gauthier »

dave leach wrote:todd, i just had an 83 gould the end of june. it was very good, perhaps a little alcohol present even after 10 hours of decanting, but a good, solid port, worth every penny of the $50 it cost. the 77 gould remains a favorite of mine, one of the under appreciated stars of the 77 vintage. it holds up to every port of that year except the taylors (i haven't tried the nacional), and maybe fonseca. to me, its better than grahams or dow, and for the $75 it cost me, it delivers the goods. i bought 2 cases it was so good, i've had 5-6 bottles this year, and none have disappointed me or my guests.

dave
The '77 Warre's which I've had on a few occasions is an excellent representative of that year . (Often forgotten )
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Typically I drink port a couple of nights a week (usually on the weekend). Unless Andy is holding an offline, in which case all bets are off!!!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Each year from about this time through the end of Sept., I work an out of town project. From the early part of Sept. through the end, I pretty much go cold turkey with no wine as the hours I work, prohibit all but wine well ater midnight and I get too little sleep as it is.

So I must now decide which VP to open for my "last supper" coming up in 2 weeks. Just when my liver starts to get happy at the end of September ... I head to Portugal. :roll:

"I tried to get out, get away ... but they always just drag me back in."
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Roy,

If we knew what was in your cellar we could help you decide! ;) :cool:

Todd