Such thing as a 1934 Dalva Vintage port?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

windycityjim

Such thing as a 1934 Dalva Vintage port?

Post by windycityjim »

Some guy claims to have one for sale. Any thoughts? I never heard of it, or found reviews on it. Thanks.
windycityjim
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Never heard it it either. Are you sure it is Vintage and not Colheita? An older bottling might be labeled as "Port of the Vintage".
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I did a little research and it is from the C. Da Silva house. They do make VP's and I believe they used to make a Colheita. As Steven said, I'm not sure it is a VP or a Colheita. A lot of stuff back then was labled as "port" when it was really a Colheita. Check the bottle for a bottling date. For a VP it should be about 2 years after the vintage, for a colhieta it would generally be a later bottling date.

I would be a bit leary of buying unless I could see it in person before buying.

Out of couriosity, what is he asking?

here is the web link http://cdasilva.pt/indexuk.html

FWIW, I have never had Porto from this house.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

OK, so I was a little bored since it is drizzly outside here in "sunny Southern California." I did some more research and found this out. From Chateau online in 2000.

"I have inherited two bottles of of port they are unusual shaped bottles which are sealed with wax on the top. the main label reads as follows' porto dalva house reserve 1934 port bottled in 1973 matured in wood produce of portugal C.DA.SILVA, (VINHOS)S.A.R.L. - OPORTO PORTUGAL There is also 1934 in gold paint on the bottom plus on the neck there is a label with vinho do porto selo degarantia and an individual number. the port looks to be palish through the bottles and there is quite a bit of sediment also. I was wondering if anyone could recommend how i should store this port and how to serve it without the sediment. Also any ideas of the likely taste and finally if there is any value. thanx in advance mark johnson"

"Michel Broadbent says of the 1934 vintage: "1934 **** was the first widely declared vintage after 1927, and on of my favourites: good, well-balanced, classic wines. Now rarely seen but worth looking out for." It is a Colheita ( vintage tawny ), sediments are due to the age ( colour sediments ). It can be good, still. In a liquor style.To be served with cheese such as mimolette. Leave bottle standing up for 2 hours before pouring slowly in the glass. Price to be likely around £60/£80 per bottle."

This is all the info I could find on it (in English anyways) and I hope this helps.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

As far as I know Andy is right on, They made a 34 colheita bottled in 73
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

George Robertson lists A J Da Silva as having declared a 1934 vintage port. I'm not sure whether they bottled under the name of Dalva or whether that was only used by the firm of C Da Silva.

But either way, 1934 was a generally declared vintage and the offer for sale could be genuine.

Alex
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

If it's da Silva it will be vintage port,Dalva It will be the colheita
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Dalva do make Vintage Port - I have had the 1970 which tasted a bit like paint stripper!

Roy's post a few days ago about arriving in Oporto and mysteriously finding himself in a cellar surrounded by old VP's is about this house.

Roy, if you picked up any contacts perhaps you could find out if Dalva produced a VP in 1934

Derek
windycityjim

Thanks for the info

Post by windycityjim »

First, thanks to all for the replies. I got good information from your responses. If you want to check it out yourselves, it's an item on Ebay, Item number: 6218931936 current bid $175. I think from your responses, and its description (bottled in 1973), it definitely must be a colheita.
windycityjim
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Jim,

I have bought some ports on Ebay and would say that it's a bit of a risk to take on an expensive bottle such as this. If you plan to buy it to keep as a collectable item then fine but you may be disappointed if you want to drink it as you have no certainty over where and how it has been stored for the last 30 years. My experience is that for every good bottle you pick up on ebay there is a bad one waiting for you.

Another thing I have found is that you rarely pick up a bottle of port at a cheap price on Ebay. They start out looking a good price but when auction fever sets in the price rockets and, when you add the postage costs, ends up being more than you would pay at a good wine merchant.

Good luck

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Guess what. I had dinner at the Dalva lodge twice in the past few days. I've seen a couple of bottles of 1934 Dalva White Colheita that looks great. I am assuming this is what all the fuss is about. I had the '52 Dalva white Colheita 3x so far and it an awesome wine.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

Derek, I Meant for a 1934 vintage port,To my Knowledge Dalva was put on later bottles .
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I noticed it on ebay too. Like most port offered, the bidding looks way over value.

There was also a bottle of Butler Nephew '64. This doesn't feature in any of my declaration lists - curious!
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Not so, Simon - I've seen bottles of '22 Vintage labeled both "Presidential" and "Dalva".
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

FWIW only:

According to C. Da Silva web site: "The House C. Da Silva has its basis on another Port Company whose roots go back to the middle of century XIX which, by family reasons was passed on to Clemente da Silva in 1933,who in turn transformed it in 1957..."

However, their web site does not mention when the Dalva name was started. It's a rather "barebones" web site for company information.

I would guess, based on past tradition, that the Dalva name goes back at least into the 1800's. This is only a guess on my part, but like I said, it seems port houses didn't change brand names as often as they changed owners back in old times.
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

I stand corrected :oops: