TN: 1863 Barbeito Bual Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

TN: 1863 Barbeito Bual Vintage Madeira

Post by Richard Henderson »

At our Friday wine group next week, Nov 4. 2005 I plan to bring the 1863 Barbeito Bual. Noel Cossart's book and several on-line sites recommend 24 hours decanting at least. That is the current plan.

Does anyone have any ideas on this decanting subject?
Last edited by Richard Henderson on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Henderson
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

My experience is that older Madeiras ALWAYS show better after decanting a day (or more). The general rule of thumb I use is the longer it has been in bottle (if you know the bottling date), the longer you should decant (between 1-3 days typically). Since a bottle will easily keep you going for several days/weeks (assuming you are not in a party situation), you can continue to gather data points on this the more you try.

Let us know how it was...
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I agree. I would give this at least 24 hours probably more like 36. The flavors will become more integrated and the heat will dissapate. I do disagree that you can keep madeira opened indefinately. I think the aromas tend to disappear after several days.
Richard Henderson

So , what do you think? If we are serving Friday at noon, is it best to open Thursday morning and decant about 7 am or Wednesday night about 10 PM? Is about 30 hours best or 40?
It will be poured into a decanter here at home. Then I plan to rebottle and take it to the venue where they will decant again.

This is one of the Rare Wine Co. purchases. It was bottled Oct 02.
Richard Henderson
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I would decant and rebottle 24 hours prior to your event. This is in effect double decanting. Definitely try a taste when you first open and periodically, you'll see the changes.
Hope you enjoy!
Richard Henderson

This is the plan. I will open and decant Wednesday. Rebottle Thursday. It will be "reopened" Friday and "re-decanted" and served about 2:30 PM Friday after a meal that will include a 1973 Henriot Champagne with smoked salmon, lamb chops with a 1995 and 1983 Ducru Beaucallou.

We have ice cream, dark chocolate truffles and caramel brittle to serve with the Bual.

(I won't mention sea bass, and lobster ravioli with super tuscans,cult Cali chards etc.)
Richard Henderson
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I actually think you may be overdoing it. If I read your plan correctly, you're going to aerate four times over a 48 hour period. I think you risk losing aroma aerating so much, and to me, aroma is one of the glories of old vintage madeira. I might decant only once 24-36 hours beforehand and let the final aeration occur in glass. Maybe twice in 24 hours but not much more. Hope you enjoy it. :D
Richard Henderson

What if I decant tonight, rebottle, tomorrow night. Take it directly to the event Friday at noon and pour from the bottle? That is one aeration, 24 hours in the decanter. Then another aeration as it is poured back into the bottle. Reopeoend and poured directly into glasses 12 hours later.
Richard Henderson
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

This is just my opinion, but if it were me, for a Friday noon event, I would open Thursday at noon and decant, then rebottle Friday morning and then pour directly into glasses at the event. I would allow aeration in the glass at the event. I would also taste frequently to monitor how I thought the wine was evolving. Hope things work out and you enjoy the Barbieto. Post notes.
:D Eric
Richard Henderson

There are logistical issues there, which I think I can overcome. I will deliver the rest of my wines for the tasting Thursday AM, but open the wine about 7:30 AM Thursday, rebottle at 8:30 AM Friday and take the bottle with me to the venue at noon and pour from the bottle.

The staff in charge of our wines is used to opening the wines about 2 hours before our lunch.

A 142 year old Madeira is not soemthing that they are used to dealing with.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric has it right. See my previous post to respond to your request on my LANDED IN MADEIRA thread.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

How it is ending up, for good or better, no ill, I decanted Wednesday into a crystal decanter but I put the stopper in and placed it under the cooling unit of my cellar at about 53 degrees. 20 hours later, it was poured back into the bottle. I tasted this exquisite nectar last night and tonight and it is getting better and better. Roasted hazelnuts , dark heather honey, notes, full mouth feel. Golden pur honey color. Lingering finish. Pure nectar. 142 years old.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Shocking ... an old Madeira still lively and tasting great! :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com