TNR: 1985 Smith Woodhouse VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Robert O.

TNR: 1985 Smith Woodhouse VP

Post by Robert O. »

My local retailer has been making an effort to step up their port offerings and this 1985 VP has appeared. I know some of the 1985's are great and others are a little wanting. Not sure which this is so thought I'd throw it out to the group before purchasing.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

My TN here. I'd pass, unless it was REALLY cheap.
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

Thanks, Steven. No, it was not particularly cheap. I guess I will pass unless others have had better experiences.
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I've never had the 1985 Smith Woodhouse but if it's selling for $40-$55 I would probably give it a try. I would say $65-70 is a little too high but not outrageous.
Paul Eddy

Smith Woodhouse 1985

Post by Paul Eddy »

I have had several bottles of this wine over the years, 6 to be precise. I bought nine bottles back in the late nineties and tried them about once a year. The first 4 bottles I found a little thin and with bitter tannins; an acceptable drink but I was glad I got them cheap. However the last two bottles tasted last year were a big improvement. The wine had put on weight, was fruitier, sweeter and a lovely drop. I do not know if it is bottle variation or if the wine is improving. They have been kept in a temperature controlled cellar since I bought them. Based on this I would try a bottle or two especially if the storage has been good. Hope this helps.

Paul.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

SEAN C. wrote:I've never had the 1985 Smith Woodhouse but if it's selling for $40-$55 I would probably give it a try. I would say $65-70 is a little too high but not outrageous.
I haven't had good luck with SW VP's and recollect I did have the '85 about 6-7 years ago; not too memorable... For under $50, I'd give it a go though.

Convince your local retail that $50 is all it's worth...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

It's selling for $66. There seems to be a consensus that this is too much. I am fairly friendly with the the wine store owner and I am guessing that I literally account for about 90% of all of their port sales so maybe I can convince them to sell it to me for $50. Since I am new to port it would be worth my while just to try it, even if it isn't that great.

I've also heard some VA concerns with regard to this port...
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Robert O. wrote:It's selling for $66. There seems to be a consensus that this is too much. I am fairly friendly with the the wine store owner and I am guessing that I literally account for about 90% of all of their port sales so maybe I can convince them to sell it to me for $50. Since I am new to port it would be worth my while just to try it, even if it isn't that great.

I've also heard some VA concerns with regard to this port...
I definitely thing $50 is worth it!
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

We sell it for $69.99 and it scored 90 points by Robert Parker. I tend to like some other Smith Woodhouse ports but admit not having tried this one. Its not a super seller, by any means. So far, no complaints by our customers though.

Interesting responses from you guys. Makes me wonder if I need to lower the price...
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

I was just eyeing this bottle again today. I think I will go over there again later and see if they will give me my money back if it turns out to be corked. I certainly would like to try it but don't want to spend a lot of money on something that has a good chance of being dissapointing
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I bought a case of the 1985 Smith Woodhouse in 2002 and drank the last bottle a little over a year ago. They consistently had good fruit and the alcohol and tannins were well integrated and subdued. All in all, the 1985 was a good everyday port. I paid $35 a bottle. I would not pay over $50 at this time.

Gary