TN: 1984 Harbor Winery Mission Del Sol Amador County

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

TN: 1984 Harbor Winery Mission Del Sol Amador County

Post by Eric Ifune »

Didn't know where else to post this note, but since this wine is most reminisent of Madeira, I'll post it here.
This is a small bonded winery in Sacramento, California. It's run as a hobby by a retired airline pilot. This is a wood aged, fortified wine made from the old Mission grape. Unfortunately the vines were ripped out the year after this harvest. I believe this was in wood until a couple of years ago. Alcohol level 17.1% by volume.
Slightly cloudy. Caramel colored with a hint of green at the rim. Aromas of volatile acidity, toffee and caramel. Medium bodied, not too sweet, lots of acidity. Reminds me greatly of a good bual. Quite long and a bargin at $20. I've a couple of more bottles that I'm holding onto as an experiment. Maybe they'll turn out like a fine old angelica. One can hope.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Have you ever checked out V. Sattui?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Hi Roy,
Yes, they have a couple of nice fortified as well. Their madeira is sweet and caramelly. Not enough acidity to remind me of real madeira but sort of an Aussie tawny. Unfortunately as with everything else, the price has escaladed over the past 5 years or so. I think it's about $40 at the winery currently. Still a good bargin for it's depth however.