Taylor 1977 Double Magnum Alert

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Taylor 1977 Double Magnum Alert

Post by John Danza »

Hello all,

I just noticed that The Chicago Wine Company has two double magnums of 1977 Taylor in their next auction. Go to their website, http://www.tcwc.com, and look at auction 383 for details. I'm not affiliated with TCWC, but I am a happy customer. And they don't charge a buyer's premium. I'm not bidding on these because I'm tapped out right now. Otherwise, I would be all over these.

All the best,
John
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Oh how I wish I could ship these across the border without having to pay, oh, say, DOUBLE the cost just in tax. (Stupid Cdn gov't tax rules :x )

I don't suppose I could convince one of you in the US to accept a shipment for me and hold on to it for a couple of months or a year until I could pick it up (or figure a way to get it shipped to Canada that wouldn't incur like, 200-400% tax???) :?

Todd
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

Hi Todd,

Send me a PM and we can discuss it. I sent you a couple of PMs, but I'm not sure if they're getting out because they're not in my "sent" box.

All the best,
John
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Thanks John - PMs received (and reply sent!) :)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Todd,

I am coming to Edmonton in Nov. to lead a Port tasting class at a wine shop that you are aware of. Anyway, if it would make your life easier (if John D. hasn't already) ... I could hand carry it in my luggage if you would like.

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

more than trivial quantities of liquid in a plane

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Roy Hersh wrote:I could hand carry it in my luggage if you would like
Taking more than trivial quantities of liquid in a plane is tricky. They will probably have to go in the hold.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Julian,

I am quite aware that it is no longer possible to bring wine onto an airplane unless it is stowed in the cargo compartment and not in one's carry on luggage. Sadly, this is one of the most inconvenient side effects of 9-11.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Iraq

Roy Hersh wrote:this is one of the most inconvenient side effects of 9-11.
Well, it is certainly inconvenient, even if only lightly so on the scale of the suffering of the Iraqis.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Iraq

Post by Andy Velebil »

J. D. A. Wiseman wrote:Well, it is certainly inconvenient, even if only lightly so on the scale of the suffering of the Iraqis.
No kidding...but i read yesterday they are testing a new machine that would detect liquid explosives in ones carry on luggage. That would allow people to carry liquids on the plane again...I hope it works so we can carry on bottles again.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Andy V. wrote:No kidding...but i read yesterday they are testing a new machine that would detect liquid explosives in ones carry on luggage. That would allow people to carry liquids on the plane again...I hope it works so we can carry on bottles again.
ohhh ohhh!! THAT would be technology put to good use!!! :cool:

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There is no bigger PITA than having to load a bottle or two of wine/Port in the belly of the airplane. I am all for any technology that will bring back some sanity to the procedure of safely examining carry on luggage. I can only hope that one day soon, wine bottles will be exempt from the ridiculous policy that exists today.

Of all the things that the USA government has failed to do to protect its citizens after the 911 Commission Report, this has to be the most lame and nonsensical regulatory move I have seen.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

banning scissors and corkscrews

Roy Hersh wrote:the most lame and nonsensical regulatory move I have seen
Not compared to banning scissors and corkscrews. By flight 93 small knives weren't enough to take over a plane — but governments have to be seen to be doing something.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

governments have to be seen to be doing something.
You hit the nail on the head. Banning liquids in carry ons is non-sense. There is no difference between carrying it on and checking it into the belly of the plane. Actually carry-on luggage better allows the security people to inspect it more carefully. But it does give the appearance they are protecting people.

The bad thing is I had to buy totally seperate bags for work and pleasure because the ones I use at work get contaminated by a whole horde of different gun powders, solvents, flare materials, smoke grenades, flash bangs, and other incendiary devices. I no longer dare to try and bring one of those bags on a plane for fear of some security screener thinking WW3 is about to happen when he screens my bag for explosives.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

J. D. A. Wiseman wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:this is one of the most inconvenient side effects of 9-11.
Well, it is certainly inconvenient, even if only lightly so on the scale of the suffering of the Iraqis.
Roy, I knew what you meant. It's a fair comment. But Julian's reply is blistering! You must always remember, amongst the thieves and vagabonds, there are the decent folk caught up in a situation beyond their control.

I'm glad Julian replied like that, because I for one, paused to think.

Alan
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alan wrote:
because I for one, paused to think.
And for that alone, we all owe our gratitude to Julian! :lol: [/quote]
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

John,

Thanks for the kind offer... I evidently did not win one of the Double Magnums... I didn't really expect to. Even with the Cdn dollar so close to par, it is still a lot of money and I likely underbid a significant amount.

Next time tcwc has a major auction though, I may check out a different lot or two... one of the lots that has a couple or four bottles that perhaps aren;t easy to source up here. Or are stupidly priced up here.

Fonseca 63 for example. The only wine store in town that has one wants the criminal price of $775C for it. (Think $774USd) Insane. Very likely one of the best VPs I would ever have the pleasure of trying, but a quick wine-searcher search finds me bottles in the US ranging in price from $340-$500Cdn... so I would be foolish to spend $300-350 more than that. Hell, $350C would buy me a pretty decent few bottles of a 2003 Vintage that could go in the cellar an appreciate for a few decades! :)

Todd
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Todd,

Ever thought of saving your port budget for 6 months and then spending it on a cheap air fare to the UK where we will welcome you with open arms (and port bottles) and allow you to buy up as much as you want from the UK Winesearcher low retailers. Fonseca '63 from CAD 310 a bottle - buy three of those and you've probably saved the air fare to the UK!

Alex
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Todd Pettinger wrote:John,

Thanks for the kind offer... I evidently did not win one of the Double Magnums... I didn't really expect to. Even with the Cdn dollar so close to par, it is still a lot of money and I likely underbid a significant amount.
Too bad, those double magnums are like an alter when you see them in person. A friend of mine has about 5 of them. Never tried one yet, but have been pulling at his coat tails to open one for reference point.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Yeah, I have never come across one (Port anyway... there are many champagnes, etc kicking around.)

Speaking of alters... I did see a 5L or 6L (I think it was 6, a quad-mag?) of some type of wine in a store once... It was in California and I was in awe... didn't matter the contents.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Al B. wrote:Todd,

Ever thought of saving your port budget for 6 months and then spending it on a cheap air fare to the UK where we will welcome you with open arms (and port bottles) and allow you to buy up as much as you want from the UK Winesearcher low retailers. Fonseca '63 from CAD 310 a bottle - buy three of those and you've probably saved the air fare to the UK!

Alex
Alex, that is a tremendous idea. I may just have to do something like that. Seeing as how I am fairly new to the game, it all seems very overwhelming, particularly the price point, however, I think I am starting to come to terms with how to stay in this for the long term and not blow the budget.

I realize that a large part of my problem is likely unrealistic expectation... I can't expect to try every single VP in the world in the first year I discover Port. If I had millions of bucks lying around, well, it might be a different story. It does hurt to hear of the cheap price in the US and particularly the UK, but my wonderful government has a lot to say about that.

The good news is that I have started to find some trends with some of the local retailers around here. For example, Costco just brought in a bunch of Graham's 2003 VP and are selling it for $80/bottle (Cdn.) This still may seem like a 'normal' type of price in the US, but the cheapest I can normally find it for is $110C. Costco is a big bulk retailer store... if something is taking up valuable store shelf space, they typically blow that product out. So, I now realize that the VP has been brought in for Christmas, as that is when a lot of folks around here indulge in the more expensive spirits. If mid-January comes and there are still bottles on the shelves, I understand that they will likely hit around the $60 mark - just to get rid of them.

So as the old saying goes: patience is a virtue.

Now anyone know where I can get some patience??? :? ;)

But one day, I will take you up on that offer Alex... I will be there and we will definitely have to meet up and try some good Port. :D

Todd