Landed in Madeira today

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Landed in Madeira today

Post by Roy Hersh »

Oh my god. The pictures of this paradise do not begin to do it justice. I can´t wait to really start exploring although I took a major hike from our hotel into Funchal today. Great restaurants, fine world class waterfront resorts, and a couple of bottle shops that had me drooling with the old stuff. The pricing was not that great but the 1900-1930 range was particularly deep. Appointments the next few days will hopefully provide a couple of interesting tastes. For those looking for a romantic getaway, forget about Hawaii, as this is the spot. Mario and I are already talking about leading our first trip here sometime in late March. More to follow.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Roy, I have Noel Cossart's book published by Christie's in 1984. The photos make me want to go there. They are all in black and white. A close friend of mine went there on vacation and rented one of those quaint wood stove bearing huts. He says that the local market for fresh foods was unbelievable. The friend borrowed my book as a guide. He had my Cossart book autographed by someone in Cossart's lodge with a message to enjoy the 1908 Cossart Bual my friend was bringing back to me. I still have that empty bottle in my "museum".

Do you have time to post on how I should decant my 1863 Barbeito Bual for our Friday group?
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Richard,

I spent quite a few hours with Noel Cossart´s nephew John Cossart who heads up the marketing at Henriques & Henriques. Coincidentally, this a.m. while at the Madeira Wine Co. hqtrs., one of the plethora of Madeiras I got to taste, was from the Cossart-Gordon lineup and was the Bual 1908 which you mentioned. TN to follow at some point when I find the time. Great wine though.

Anyway, I would suggest decanting your bottle for 12 hours in an open decanter and then pouring it back into the bottle minus the few ounces you enjoy.

Have a great time!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com