1940 Niepoort Garrafeira Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

1940 Niepoort Garrafeira Port

Post by SEAN C. »

This is the second time I have had the 1940 Niepoort garrafeira, the label declared it was “bottled in 1945 decanted in 1979”. After decanting again through 4 layers of cheesecloth there was a lack of any real sediment, only a small amount, fine and dust-like and more typical of an older bottle of Burgundy.
The ’40 Niepoort was the color of iced tea or light cola with a golden raisin edge, mostly light brown and medium in thickness, very cloudy!
The nose was of toffee and cedar with hints of mint chocolate. It was light on the alcohol but had an underlying scent of what can only be described as the smell of a freshly opened Band-aid, this (thankfully) dissipated after a little over an hour. The tastes were of caramel and brown sugar mixed with guava and apples with a bit of spice similar to nutmeg or cardamon. It had a short 12 second finish but still was a great Port, yet not as wonderful as I remembered my first bottle being.

Moses Botbol rated this 90/100
Myself 90/100

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sean,

I have some in the cellar and can't wait to try it again. Thanks for the great glimpse into this rare Port bottling.

Soon enough, you will have the opportunity to tell Mr. Niepoort exactly what you thought of this bottling that his grandfather was responsible for.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Thanks for the TN Sean.

I was thinking about buying a bottle of this port, and your TN helped me a bit.

Do you think it can be held for another few years ? Or should it be drunk right now ?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Erik Wiechers wrote:
Do you think it can be held for another few years ? Or should it be drunk right now ?
It should go another decade or more without worry. Haven't seen a port that cloudy in a long time. I thought the cardamon taste was quite pronounced at times. Our first bottle earlier in the year was better. One of the most beautiful bottles I have seen too. Worth keeping the empty bottle! I do not think it will develop further, but it's not going to degrade quick either.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

Erik Wiechers wrote:Thanks for the TN Sean.

I was thinking about buying a bottle of this port, and your TN helped me a bit.

It's definitely worth picking up a bottle of this. I think the first bottle I had was better and one of the top Ports I've tasted. I just wasn't taking any notes at the time so it's hard to compare!
I'd be very interested to hear your tasting results or Roy's ...I have a few more bottles left of the '40 Niepoort so If I somehow get to one of them first I'll add to this post!
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

I bought the bottle, should be delivered tomorrow.