1964 blandy's malmsey madiera?? TNR or other info?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

oropuro

1964 blandy's malmsey madiera?? TNR or other info?

Post by oropuro »

I recently had the opportunity to buy some 1964 blandys malmsey madeira at a very nice price- has anyone had this madiera or know anything about it; my experience has primarily been with non-vintage madeira which i enjoy immensely and this was blandy's is from my birth year- i'm looking for a tasting note and perhaps a drinking window.

thanks,
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Close but no cigar Jonathan.

While at Blandy's recently, they did open up a 1964 but it was the Bual. Although my TN is not yet released, I can tell you that in spite of its apparent youth, this was an extremely delicious and impressive youngster, offering more complexity than I would have thought. I think you can drink yours now or in another 80 years. It matters not, as Madeira truly ages at a glacial pace once it hits the bottle. So enjoy it on your next big birthday in 2014, would be my suggestion as you and the bottle both turn 50 years young.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
oropuro

Post by oropuro »

thanks roy- much appreciated; i bought an initial bottle of this at hart-davis-hart and much to my surprise, it was suddenly on sale for $60 less than i initially paid- so the joys of cost averaging went into effect (cellartracker tells me the avg. price paid!) and i bought a couple more (i thought i didn't want to get more optimistic than 50, 60 and 70 years old for both of us :shock: ); that said, while i have not yet had this, i do seem to prefer the malmsey to bual in general (in my very limited experience); let me know when you head back to the bay area- and again thanks for the input.

Jonathan