Best places to buy in England?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ted Gzebb

Best places to buy in England?

Post by Ted Gzebb »

Hi All..
I live in Canada and my daughter is currently living in England. Every time she returns home she is able to bring back 2 bottles duty/tax free. We are seeking recommendations as to the best outlets to access some older vintages to bring back. She is currently resident in Otley outside Leeds but if the merchant will ship to her it doesn't matter where they are as long as they are reliable.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Ted Gzebb
Roel B

Re: Best places to buy in England?

Post by Roel B »

Fine and rare wines in London might have what you are looking for. frw.co.uk. I've ordered with them in the past. As long as the wines are located in their London warehouse (you can select that in their webinterface) they should be able to deliver that to her place within a few days.

Roel.
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

She needs to be very careful about comparing prices. I made a trip back to the UK earlier this month and found the supposed duty free in the airports were more expensive than in shops selling retail. Also, the few LBVs I saw in supermarkets there were close in price to LBVs here in Portugal - slightly more expensive but not much. I was pleased I had decided to carry table wines in preference to Ports. I did not see any VPs there with which I was familiar here so far as price was concerned, but overall they were not too expensive compared with what I would expect to see here.

It is quite a while since I last did it, but some shops in the bigger cities in the UK (and there could be some in Leeds) can sell items duty free. If she is a permanent resident in the UK she may not be allowed to buy duty free in these shops, but it is worth checking out.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Ted

Let us know what sort of bottles (and budget) you're hoping to get and I'll give you some thoughts.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Some of the terminals at Heathrow have branches of Berry Brothers & Rudd. I haven't tried it for a few years but you used to be able to buy anything from their list duty free and have it available to collect from the airport shop before your departure. BBR are not the cheapest but their Ports tend to be of impeccable provenance.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I had heard the BBR shop at Heathrow had closed. Can anyone confirm our deny with current information?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Ted Gzebb

Post by Ted Gzebb »

Al B... There is no real fixed budget but I would be thinking in the range of 70 Pounds Sterling as a relative maximum. I want to fill out my small collection which ranges from the late 1970s. I was thinking about some that are aged and good drinking currently as I have enough for now that my daughter will inherit!
Thank you to all who have helped this novice ... :D
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

It could be useful to several posters on here to know how she fares. My experience of browsing duty free shops for wine is that they do not stock much that is aged.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan McDonald wrote:It could be useful to several posters on here to know how she fares. My experience of browsing duty free shops for wine is that they do not stock much that is aged.
And storage isn't always the best too. The shop in the Porto airport is horrible, the Ports and wines sit under hot lights for who knows how long.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mark Henderson

Post by Mark Henderson »

Ted, I would have a good trawl through Wine Searcher. You can isolate your search to the UK, though if you don't pay for Wine Searcher Pro you won't get all potential results. I have found it incredibly useful when I have been hunting for specific wines in the UK.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Mark Henderson wrote:Ted, I would have a good trawl through Wine Searcher. You can isolate your search to the UK, though if you don't pay for Wine Searcher Pro you won't get all potential results. I have found it incredibly useful when I have been hunting for specific wines in the UK.
Agreed - winesearcher is your friend.

I have the Pro version, but occasionally get logged out and don't even notice. I'd say that at least 80% of the listings are available for free, and that the (at most) 20% that are Pro-only are spread across the entire price range anyway so you're probably only missing 1 or 2 potentially relevant listings on any given search.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I would recommend avoiding duty free shops in the UK. You get better prices and better choice from wine merchants.

Your daughter probably doesn't want the hassle of you buying at auction, although this would be an option for you.

Probably your most practical would be to buy from good retailer. The ones I would recommend would be Fine & Rare, Seckfords and Peter Wylie. Your daughter should also be able to take the VAT receipt with her when she leaves the UK and reclaim the 20% VAT that will have been paid when you purchased. Plus search using www.wine-searcher.com if there is anything specific that you are looking for.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

BTW, I think there is a 30 day timeframe for the VAT refund, among other stipulations.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

VAT is a minefield. Do not rely on your daughter reclaiming it if she is UK resident and does the purchasing. I left the UK in 2003, but was considered somewhat of an "expert" on it having had previous responsibility for it in a £1m a week business. Regulations have no doubt altered in that time, but UK residents, as I previously mentioned in an earlier post, could not normally reclaim VAT on purchases for personal use. Given the limitation on the amount involved, I doubt whether VAT will make a difference in your choice anyway. You want a particular bottle, you will buy it.