March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Beeken

Re: March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

Post by Richard Beeken »

The regulations shouldn't be the explanation since Glenn indicates that the 500 ml. bottles of 60 will have the "real" labels - if you can put a label saying 60 on one format, you should be able to put it on the other.
Does anyone actually know what the 750 ml 60 year old label actually says? Does it say its a 40?
It's seems like it will detract from the esthetic of opening one of these if we have to explain a label that says it's something other than what it is or is supposed to be.
If Roy and Glenn have complete confidence that's what's in the 750 bottle that has a label that doesn't say it's a 60 is in fact the 60, so be it. It's just a distraction. Can't think of another wine I've ever encountered with a similar labelling issue.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Beeken wrote:The regulations shouldn't be the explanation since Glenn indicates that the 500 ml. bottles of 60 will have the "real" labels - if you can put a label saying 60 on one format, you should be able to put it on the other.
Does anyone actually know what the 750 ml 60 year old label actually says? Does it say its a 40?
It's seems like it will detract from the esthetic of opening one of these if we have to explain a label that says it's something other than what it is or is supposed to be.
If Roy and Glenn have complete confidence that's what's in the 750 bottle that has a label that doesn't say it's a 60 is in fact the 60, so be it. It's just a distraction. Can't think of another wine I've ever encountered with a similar labelling issue.
Richard,
Are you trying to assume there is logic in the Douro and with IVDP regulations [rotfl.gif] [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Richard Beeken wrote:Does anyone actually know what the 750 ml 60 year old label actually says? Does it say its a 40?
Based on what Roy has posted and put in newsletter issue #85, I believe it will say simply that it is "Very Old Tawny Port" and then will likely have a sticker that says "60" or "60 Anos" on it similar to the ones on the current S. Leonardo line that say 30 or 40 or whatever.

My guess is that it is technically being released as a Tawny Reserve, as that seems to be the "catch all" category for Tawnies.

As I recall the 100 is called "Velhissimo" and is likely also technically being released as a Tawny Reserve. I think that Scion is also technically a Tawny Reserve because TFP couldn't provide sufficient documentation to prove its origin and provenance. So this loophole isn't new and in reality is more-or-less standard practice for these very old wines.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Richard Beeken wrote:The regulations shouldn't be the explanation since Glenn indicates that the 500 ml. bottles of 60 will have the "real" labels - if you can put a label saying 60 on one format, you should be able to put it on the other.
I don't think the "real" labels will say "60" either, but they might have some verbage to distinguish them. I have some of the Quinta Santa Eufêmia Porto Special Reserve White which doesn't list a vintage on the front as that would run afoul of the IVDP. But the fine print on the back explains what it is.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

The "Millennium " Port by Whitwhams also had a back label explanation if I remember correctly.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

When the IVP came about there was a time period where you had to register your holdings with them. If that was not done back then, then you're stuck calling it a fancy name such as Scion. Many of these small producers "family" holdings were not registered because, it's safe to assume now, they never dreamed of being able to sell them for huge amounts of money near 100 years later.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I have received my cases from Mourao.
The 60 years are labeled with a 40 year label, but having a small booklet hanging around the enck marked as "60".

After discovering this when opening the cases, we put small white label on the 60 year bottles in order to avoid any confusion.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Just to be explicit so that there's no confusion:

The 1-week long subscribers-only offer for the 60-yr old was for 750ml bottles. The now-current retail offer that is available to everyone for the 60-yr old is for 500ml bottles. It isn't possible to order the 750ml bottles anymore.

That's why the current offer's price only seems like it's a little higher than the subscriber's offer price - it's for 2/3 as much Port. That probably also explains the labeling - the "real" labels were made for 500ml bottles, so couldn't be used on a 750ml bottle.

(Roy please correct me if I've screwed up this summary, but I believe this is correct based on our conversations.)

NOTICE: Glenn must have confused my conversation with him.

The NON-subscribers bottles of 60 year old WILL be in 750 ml. too. However, any bottles that were not already purchased through the 2 FTLOP offerings will be in clearly marked 500 ml bottles moving forward.

Eric had a good idea about securing the neck tags that say 60 years old. Not a big deal to do.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Thanks for the correction, Roy!
Glenn Elliott
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

has anyone gotten a call to receive their order? I was wondering, as I have not heard anything back.
Russ
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Not yet, Russ. I believe that the shipment had not left Portugal at the start of this month, so we probably still have a couple of weeks to wait.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Russ K wrote:has anyone gotten a call to receive their order? I was wondering, as I have not heard anything back.
Russ
I saw her this past Thursday. The wines are still enroute on the ship and should be here within the next couple weeks. The bigger issue is the weather, the southwest has been baking in heat and humidity while the northeast looks like it's getting snow. Regardless, you don't want to ship from Southern California right now anyways due to the heat. Hopefully we will cool off by the time the wines get here. I know I could use a break from this heat and humidity.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:you don't want to ship from Southern California right now anyways due to the heat.
I have 2.5 cases waiting at Premier Cru since July for your weather to cool off. All those Krohns they put on flash sales. Because, you know, I was running low on Tawny. :roll:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Yes, I initiated my fall shipments, but my Spectrum purchases on going to sit in LA longer. I'm looking forward to the FTLOP bottles, but don't need them to bake either.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:you don't want to ship from Southern California right now anyways due to the heat.
I have 2.5 cases waiting at Premier Cru since July for your weather to cool off. All those Krohns they put on flash sales. Because, you know, I was running low on Tawny. :roll:
Which Krohn did you purchase? I have been contemplating buying heavy of Krohn by the end of the year while it is still possible.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Thomas V wrote:Which Krohn did you purchase? I have been contemplating buying heavy of Krohn by the end of the year while it is still possible.
As I recall...

6 x 30-yr old
9 x 1964 Colheita Branco
6 x 1968 Colheita
9 x 1976 Colheita

And yes, there was a degree of "stock up while they still have proper labels" involved in the decision. ;)
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Glenn E. wrote:
Thomas V wrote:Which Krohn did you purchase? I have been contemplating buying heavy of Krohn by the end of the year while it is still possible.
As I recall...

6 x 30-yr old
9 x 1964 Colheita Branco
6 x 1968 Colheita
9 x 1976 Colheita

And yes, there was a degree of "stock up while they still have proper labels" involved in the decision. ;)
My incentive as well, besides that Krohn is damn tasty.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

From the importer:

"The ship is in the water right now and it's scheduled to arrive on the 9th. Once the shipment is cleared by customs and in our warehouse, we will get in touch to determine shipping to all that have ordered."

IF you would like to send an email to schedule your delivery ... (realizing it would/could take a week or so for US Custom's clearance, etc.) please contact: [email protected]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

Good news. Just curious, I had been getting shipments of all sorts of stuff (except waiting on Premier Cru of course.....) and it just popped in my head that I ordered something else from somewhere! [cheers.gif]
Cheers
Russ
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

I assume it's too late to buy a few of these bottles, right?
- Alex