March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

Post by Andy Velebil »

A dschus wrote:I assume it's too late to buy a few of these bottles, right?
At those prices yes I assume. I'm sure the company will gladly sell you some at a slightly higher rate.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Andy Velebil wrote:
At those prices yes I assume. I'm sure the company will gladly sell you some at a slightly higher rate.
What were the prices? I didn't see any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Alex
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A dschus wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
What were the prices? I didn't see any.

You have to be a paid subscriber to get the newsletter that has the prices.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy Velebil wrote: You have to be a paid subscriber to get the newsletter that has the prices.
TIP: The savings on the Buyer's Op pays for your FTLOP subscription and then some!
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: You have to be a paid subscriber to get the newsletter that has the prices.
TIP: The savings on the Buyer's Op pays for your FTLOP subscription and then some!
In some cases, on a single bottle purchased through the Buyer's Op!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:
Hi five for that John. :)

John M.

Post by John M. »

Just got an Email---wines in the warehouse....my order will ship next week!!
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote:Just got an Email---wines in the warehouse....my order will ship next week!!
Yep, me too. Woo hoo! [yahoo.gif]
Glenn Elliott
jeff t.

Post by jeff t. »

I got an email indicating my 2 cs will ship this week.However with the thanksgiving holiday coming fedex ground has indicated that to arrive before the holiday to the east coast it must ship by 11/17 which is not likely.This could mean that it could sit in a warehouse for days in Florida or arrive when I am away for Thanksgiving.The only phone number I have is (deleted: Phone number of a private individual that was ONLY meant for use by subscribers. RH) and she does not answer.I sent an email but I would appreciate a phone number for the warehouse so I can try to make workable arrangements. thanks for any help.

Jeff Terk
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

jeff t. wrote:I got an email indicating my 2 cs will ship this week.However with the thanksgiving holiday coming fedex ground has indicated that to arrive before the holiday to the east coast it must ship by 11/17 which is not likely.This could mean that it could sit in a warehouse for days in Florida or arrive when I am away for Thanksgiving.The only phone number I have is (deleted: Phone number of a private individual that was ONLY meant for use by subscribers. RH) and she does not answer.I sent an email but I would appreciate a phone number for the warehouse so I can try to make workable arrangements. thanks for any help.

Jeff Terk
Mine is coming UPS to GA and the tracking number says it will be here Monday the 23rd. I wonder why yours is going Fedex instead.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mine shipped last night! UPS Ground, due to arrive on Friday. (It was shipped after last call, so won't actually go out until today's pickup.)
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:Mine shipped last night! UPS Ground, due to arrive on Friday. (It was shipped after last call, so won't actually go out until today's pickup.)
No worries, it was colder than cold here yesterday and this morning (well, for us 44 is really really cold)
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Watching all your posts go by is torture! I passed on this buying opportunity as at the time it was offered I had no experience of San Leonardo / Quinta Do Mourão tawnies; however in September I was fortunate enough to try several including the 100 year old, which is absolutely fantastic; well-played to those who ordered. [friends.gif]
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

I got a notice that mine was shipping with a Friday delivery date. Then, I got a shipment cancellation notice. Not sure what is going on at this point.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Mine shipped last night! UPS Ground, due to arrive on Friday. (It was shipped after last call, so won't actually go out until today's pickup.)
No worries, it was colder than cold here yesterday and this morning (well, for us 44 is really really cold)
Heat wave! It was 36 this morning when I left the house. It's been rainy and blowing all day, so while I expect it got a bit warmer than that I doubt it was any more pleasant.
Glenn Elliott
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

Gary Richardson wrote:I got a notice that mine was shipping with a Friday delivery date. Then, I got a shipment cancellation notice. Not sure what is going on at this point.
All straight, now. They had to re-box after they created the label. Expected to arrive on Monday.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Going to pick mine up in person in Santa Monica on Friday. Timing is good since I go to New Mexico this weekend.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:Going to pick mine up in person in Santa Monica on Friday. Timing is good since I go to New Mexico this weekend.
And you're coming to town and didn't let me know. Dinner Friday at the college, we have room?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Reality check:

I have deleted one individual's posting of an individual's private phone number. Not cool.

The importer has been working in the warehouse every day since the US Customs cleared delivery. She is working her tail off to take care of well over 100 orders here in the USA. She is putting these together by hand and doing this all herself for the most part. So please understand. From what I was told, all shipments that were asked to be shipped, have been. For those of you who scheduled to pick up at the Santa Monica office, I know all those arrangements have been made perfectly. Some of you have asked for shipping after Thanksgiving and that will work very smoothly from here.

The prices of the wines from the 10-20 year old, especially the 30-40 year old Tawnies was insane and will never be seen again in the USA. Prices have now been raised to their "regular" SRP$ and no longer deeply discounted by both producer and importer (with no 3rd tier markup at all). I have had two bottles of the 60 year old Tawny, (one brought by the US importer to Seattle for a reunion with PHT1 participants) the other a week later while I was up in Edmonton, as the Alberta importer had received their shipment a bit earlier than CA, as the US Customs can be a bear to deal with. This is one of the greatest wood-aged Ports I've ever had and drinks like a wine a century older ... in a good way. The 100 year old Tawny is simply off-the-charts and something very rare.

Thank you for those that realize the benefit in subscribing with these buying ops as my way to thank you for your loyalty. I have one more OP that will take place in 2015 and the prices are also, CRAZY. So for those that missed out or are looking for another way to buy extraordinarily deep stocks of old and younger Ports at amazing prices ... now is your time to get on board with a subscription. As mentioned, you can make up the savings and pay for several years of subscriptions by buying smart from these ops.

And for those asking to see the prices that subscribers get ... er, that is not going to happen. Sorry!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jeff T.,

I just called the importer and she told me that she called you back within ONE hour and courteously spoke with you for 45 minutes. Sounds like your rant is unwarranted. [foilhat.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com