Score! 1675 Dutch Engraving THE DROWNING OF DUKE OF CLARENCE IN A BUTT OF MALMSEY WINE

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Matt K

Score! 1675 Dutch Engraving THE DROWNING OF DUKE OF CLARENCE IN A BUTT OF MALMSEY WINE

Post by Matt K »

$40 on eBay. :)

"Drowned in Malvesay"

12.5 cm x 10.5 cm copperplate engraving, 16 cm x 12 cm sheet size, Amsterdam, circa 1675

We are pleased to offer this scarce example of a finely crafted original miniature print by an unknown artist from the Golden Age of Dutch engraving depicting the execution of George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence supposedly by drowning in a butt of Malmsey wine. As Edward IV looks on from the window at upper left the scene is convivial to the point of being almost unintentionally comical with the condemned Duke enjoying a last draught before the executioners move forward to forcibly submerge him to his fate. A strong imprint with a distinct platemark, the print will make a fine small presentation if matted and framed. Moreover it will also serve as a reminder of an important charitable contribution - 100% of the proceeds from this auction will be donated to Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) whose important humanitarian work sadly remains in high demand around the globe, so that along with acquiring this rare and distinctive fine art print a meaningful donation can be made to this worthwhile organisation.

mmmMadeira
Bradley Bogdan

Re: Score! 1675 Dutch Engraving THE DROWNING OF DUKE OF CLARENCE IN A BUTT OF MALMSEY WINE

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Well, there are worse ways to go, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Score! 1675 Dutch Engraving THE DROWNING OF DUKE OF CLARENCE IN A BUTT OF MA...

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Well, there are worse ways to go, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: Score! 1675 Dutch Engraving THE DROWNING OF DUKE OF CLARENCE IN A BUTT OF MALMSEY WINE

Post by Moses Botbol »

I haven't heard that story in like decades! Thanks for bringing that tale to front of my mind. It must've high school since I heard that story. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars