What can lots of money buy you when visiting the Douro?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Miguel Simoes

What can lots of money buy you when visiting the Douro?

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Not a problem i am facing, sadly, but a friend's friend who is v wealthy is going to Porto and I ended up being asked what he should visit.

Gave him the usual suggestions (yeatman, paparico, Graham's lodge, casa da Música, cafe majestic, livraria Bertrand, ribeira).

Am wondering tho if there is something one can do out there that only lots of money can buy. Most things, even if expensive, are hardly prohibitive for most people.

Aside from tasting the craziest most awesomest stuff, any ideas?

He only has 2 nights there. Perhaps a helicopter tour up the Douro w lunch at one of the vineyards?

Kind of awesome to think that most things out there are within the reach of most!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: What can lots of money buy you when visiting the Douro?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Funny you mention a helicopter ride up the Douro. I was talking to someone in the Douro about this being one of the two things I look forward to experience. The other, many can't buy ... photographing Douro vineyards that are snow covered.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Funny you mention a helicopter ride up the Douro. I was talking to someone in the Douro about this being one of the two things I look forward to experience. The other, many can't buy ... photographing Douro vineyards that are snow covered.
Being someone that spent the better part of 10 years working in a helicopter, flying in the Douro would be a nerve racking experience for me. If there was an issue, the terrain doesn't give you many places (as in almost none) to make a safe emergency landing. The river would be the best bet, so make sure you jettison your door prior to impact (pull the red level) and I hope you can swim. :scholar:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Funny you mention a helicopter ride up the Douro. I was talking to someone in the Douro about this being one of the two things I look forward to experience. The other, many can't buy ... photographing Douro vineyards that are snow covered.
Being someone that spent the better part of 10 years working in a helicopter, flying in the Douro would be a nerve racking experience for me. If there was an issue, the terrain doesn't give you many places (as in almost none) to make a safe emergency landing. The river would be the best bet, so make sure you jettison your door prior to impact (pull the red level) and I hope you can swim. :scholar:
Sounds like just the kind of thing only $$ can buy. Am willing to bet it will be available in 10 years time.

Can only imagine how amazing it would be... going up the river in a clear sunny day. breathtaking views at every turn. and much quicker up the douro than by road/train.

Perfect thing for a 2 day trip up the douro. Leave in the morning, lunch/visit at a vineyard or two, another trip further up in the afternoon, dinner and overnight in the alto douro, then fly down the following day in similar style.

the more i think about it, the more i think it simply NEEDS to be offered.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes, but can you imagine if you were the person on the ground trying to enjoy the beauty and all day there were helicopters flying around ruining it? I say keep the regular helicopter tours away.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Another suggestion could be a private speedboat tour up the Douro, through the Valeira dam for lunch at DOC and perhaps a visit to a quinta (Tedo perhaps?).
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Why a helicopter? They certainly have an application, but I think just from a small plane would be pretty cool. But the above comments have me thinking about a float plane. Time to get that rating.