Establishing my port collection.

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: Establishing my port collection. Advice needed.

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:From what I have read I would rank them like this? Do you agree?
94 > 92 > 97 > 91
03 > 00 > 07
Which are the stand outs besides the 07 Dow's and the 94 Fonseca, that every cellar should have a few of tucked away?
I would not rank the 97 above 91 in general, but it really depends on the label. If you are just establishing your collection, I wouldn't worry too much about either of those years. '97 Noval is nice, and maybe '91 Warres and Taylor Vargellas are worth picking up. Other than that? Stick with anything from '94. Taylor, Fonseca, Vesuvio, ... even Martinez. Then think about '92.

I have lots of '03 vs. '00 and '07, but I haven't really tasted those to justify that.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Thomas V wrote:From what I have read I would rank them like this? Do you agree?
94 > 92 > 97 > 91
03 > 00 > 07
Which are the stand outs besides the 07 Dow's and the 94 Fonseca, that every cellar should have a few of tucked away?
I would not rank the 97 above 91 in general, but it really depends on the label. If you are just establishing your collection, I wouldn't worry too much about either of those years. '97 Noval is nice, and maybe '91 Warres and Taylor Vargellas are worth picking up. Other than that? Stick with anything from '94. Taylor, Fonseca, Vesuvio, ... even Martinez. Then think about '92.

I have lots of '03 vs. '00 and '07, but I haven't really tasted those to justify that.
Hi Eric.

The purpose of my question was both general but also to use as guidance in my further expansion of my collection. I realize that 94' was a great year. But the market for 94' wines seems scarce to say the least, even when using wine-searcher. Is that what other Europeans experience as well or am looking in the wrong places?

To try and get more knowledge about these vintages our next tasting in our newly established port club in Aarhus will be vintages from the 80', 90' and 00'. Me and my co founder could chose 1 each from each decade and no house could be picked more than once. Also we had to stay within a budget of roughly 90 USD per bottle.

Currently the line up looks like this. Anything you would recommend within those limitations?:

2003 Taylor's
2000 Graham's
1997 Dow's
1994 Croft
1985 Warre's
1983 Ramos Pinto
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I would concentrate on 80, 83, 85 for select bottles while the prices are still affordable. You're getting a 10-20 jump in aging for similar money as current vintages.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:The purpose of my question was both general but also to use as guidance in my further expansion of my collection. I realize that 94' was a great year. But the market for 94' wines seems scarce to say the least, even when using wine-searcher. Is that what other Europeans experience as well or am looking in the wrong places?
I'm sorry that's your situation. When I started buying I was able to find a lot of '94s on this side of the pond. I've noticed the prices of the first names have gone up a fair bit in the last two years, but there are still quite a lot of them around.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Thomas V wrote:The purpose of my question was both general but also to use as guidance in my further expansion of my collection. I realize that 94' was a great year. But the market for 94' wines seems scarce to say the least, even when using wine-searcher. Is that what other Europeans experience as well or am looking in the wrong places?
I'm sorry that's your situation. When I started buying I was able to find a lot of '94s on this side of the pond. I've noticed the prices of the first names have gone up a fair bit in the last two years, but there are still quite a lot of them around.
I'll guess I just have to search some more and find some good deals.

A side note. The 1983 RP that was broken and new on route a second time made GN go out of stock of this VP. Get em while ya can.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

How would you rate these head to head an also between all 6.

Vesuvio 2000 vs 2003
Fonseca 2000 vs 2003
Graham's 2000 vs 2003
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Vesuvio 2000 vs 2003
Fonseca 2000 vs 2003
Graham's 2000 vs 2003
At release, these were all well received wines that seemed robust and fit for the long haul. However, as of now they are at a very difficult age to assess, to the extent that I wouldn't attempt it and would take any pronouncements with the proverbial pinch of salt.

In four or five years it should be possible to get a take on the 2000 vintage's maturation prospects, but until then any horizontals are likely to throw up more red herrings than good insights..
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:

Vesuvio 2000 vs 2003
Fonseca 2000 vs 2003
Graham's 2000 vs 2003
At release, these were all well received wines that seemed robust and fit for the long haul. However, as of now they are at a very difficult age to assess, to the extent that I wouldn't attempt it and would take any pronouncements with the proverbial pinch of salt.

In four or five years it should be possible to get a take on the 2000 vintage's maturation prospects, but until then any horizontals are likely to throw up more red herrings than good insights..
+1
And these were very different growing years. 2003 was a very hot and ripe year, 2000 not as much. So they were different from each other back when released. In 10 years time it will be fun start checking on these side by side to get a better point of reference to how they are maturing.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Seems one just have to invest ahead of time and see how things pan out as regard to the 2000 and 2003 over the next decade or so.

We will have a vertical with vintages in my club soon which will include both a 2000 and 2003 so I will taste first hand an make my own impressions.

My 83 RP finally arrived and I am excited about that. However tonight a friend and me will open up a Graham's 85'. What will you recommend of decant time for it?

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

For a second, I thought that was one of my pictures as I use to always take them on my kitchen counter near the window just like yours.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Moses Botbol wrote:For a second, I thought that was one of my pictures as I use to always take them on my kitchen counter near the window just like yours.
Heh only 6000 km away. But would have been great to invite you over tonight for a glass of 85' Graham's as thanks for all your great advice in this thread. It has been sitting in the decanter for roughly 2½ hours now. My friend will be over in an hours time and I guess we will start drinking it after 4½ hours of me opening it. I will save some for tomorrow and see how it develops. (Should I seal the decanter over night or keep oxygenating it?)

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I would rinse the G85 bottle out with water and pour the wine back into the bottle at serving time or when you go to bed (overnight, put cork back).
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Should I seal the decanter over night or keep oxygenating it?
Cover it.

In general, the difference between port decanters and wine decanters is the presence of a stopper, although most decanters in use by the producers in Portugal seem to have long lost their stoppers..

Decanted wine is generally expected to be drunk to extinction in a very short space of time, whereas port is drunk over a slower period. A brief exposure to oxygen is beneficial to vintage port that has been cooped up in a bottle for several decades - but don't overdo it..

- Enjoy!

PS Don't let the decanter get warm overnight - stick it in the fridge..
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Tom Archer wrote:
Should I seal the decanter over night or keep oxygenating it?
Cover it.

In general, the difference between port decanters and wine decanters is the presence of a stopper, although most decanters in use by the producers in Portugal seem to have long lost their stoppers..

Decanted wine is generally expected to be drunk to extinction in a very short space of time, whereas port is drunk over a slower period. A brief exposure to oxygen is beneficial to vintage port that has been cooped up in a bottle for several decades - but don't overdo it..

- Enjoy!

PS Don't let the decanter get warm overnight - stick it in the fridge..
Tom is spot on, you'll be happier if you cover it. Also, keeping it in the fridge past the first day of use is very helpful in slowing down the effects of being open (meaning it will stay on that prime drinking plateau longer once it gets there).
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Thomas V wrote:Should I seal the decanter over night or keep oxygenating it?
Overnight is fine in the decanter, but do cover it just to keep out any dust or bugs.

If it's going to last longer than 24 hours, though, you'll probably want to do as Tom suggested and keep it in the refrigerator.
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I sealed the decanter for the night and stashed the remains in the fridge.

I don't know what is up with this bottle. I do not think it is faulty, however the showing tonight was far from what one would expect.

Red brown hue and transparent in color. Faint alcohol, figs and soaked prunes on the nose. Medium body. So far so good.

The taste however seems just seems dominated by spirit and acidity at the moment. I was expecting a much more developed flavor and richness with the alcohol taking a back-seat. If you had served me this up blind I would have guessed it to be from the late nineties just based on taste. I hope it will be better tomorrow after more time in the decanter. Scoring it today I would give it a 89. :shock:
Last edited by Thomas V on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I don't know what is up with this bottle. I do not think it is faulty, however the showing tonight was far from what one would expect.
Vintage port maturation can best be described as a roller-coaster - after a few years of showing quite well, many 85s are now going through an awkward phase, although you may find a better showing after an extended decant time.

Ten years ago the 75s lived up to their reputation as a weak and awkward vintage, yet many are now showing better than anyone thought possible..
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas,
Hard to tell from your picture, but appears the Selo strip shows some signs of past seepage (staining). If so that could mean it was heat damaged at some point and why it may show as it does. Or if not, as Tom mentioned.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:Thomas,
Hard to tell from your picture, but appears the Selo strip shows some signs of past seepage (staining). If so that could mean it was heat damaged at some point and why it may show as it does. Or if not, as Tom mentioned.
Hey Andy

I will post a close up of the bottle neck when I get home. Good point hadn't thought about that. What is the typical result after a port has been "fried"?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Thomas,
Hey Andy

I will post a close up of the bottle neck when I get home. Good point hadn't thought about that. What is the typical result after a port has been "fried"?
Can be Similar to what you described. But that could also result from a vp in a weird stage too. If the Selo does in fact have signs of seepage then I'd lean toward heat damaged, or severely oxidized from a bad cork at the least.