NY 1985 retrospective??????

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Co

NY 1985 retrospective??????

Post by David Co »

Was wondering if there was any interest in doing a 1985 retrospective? I can host at my house on Long Island or take the lead on booking a location in Manhattan if its easier for attendees. Was thinking early to middle December. I have about 5-8 different houses from 85 so I can also provide sourcing for people who may want to come but dont have 85 vintage port in their collection. I am also posting this on the other port wine board to maximize possibility of this happening.

Thanks,
David
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: NY 1985 retrospective??????

Post by Glenn E. »

You mean like this one? :wink:

I think doing it again would be awesome. I probably can't make the trip to the East coast, but I do still have a few spare bottles that I can contribute if you need them. I don't recall which producers I still have off the top of my head, but if you're interested I can take inventory. Probably nothing all that off-the-wall left; those were all consumed in the horizontal here in Seattle.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

While I'm probably not available until the holidays are over to get to the east coast, I'd be plenty interested in joining and contributing. While I wouldn't feel as compelled to put together a tasting with quite as many producers, I'd love to taste a bunch of those wines again, as well as spend the time doing so with more Port lovers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:While I'm probably not available until the holidays are over to get to the east coast, I'd be plenty interested in joining and contributing. While I wouldn't feel as compelled to put together a tasting with quite as many producers, I'd love to taste a bunch of those wines again, as well as spend the time doing so with more Port lovers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
Same. I won't be able to until earlier next year, date dependent. This year is already pretty busy and I won't get to NY before the new year.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

January better for me, too. I have a Ferreira, Souza, Grahams and Fonseca.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Around Christmas could work for me in NYC. I have all the usual suspects for '85
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
David Co

Post by David Co »

The other forum has a thread and a friend of the NYC port community will be in NY between Dec/Jan from the other side of the pond so perhaps we can plan something in early Jan to accommodate his trip abroad and others who could not make it before Christmas. Date and list with be forthcoming. I Will try to keep both threads updated with the details
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Holiday travel prevents pretty much anything in December for me. Jan would be more doable. Thanks! Keep us posted.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Just to link the parallel conversations, this tasting is also being discussed on ThePortForum.com.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi David,

A quick suggestion. If you can find a way to have others contribute bottles from 1985 that you do not currently own, and have maybe a dozen (or so) producers, it would make it easier for people from other states to justify the travel expense. Especially those coming from the other coast. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com