Dec. 2015: Your best Port tasted this year?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Dec. 2015: Your best Port tasted this year?

Post by Roy Hersh »

We used to do this every year, ask :ftlop: participants to elaborate on which was the best Port this year. We began by asking for the single best bottle you've tried. There is nothing wrong if you are new, to say: "Loved the Fonseca Bin 27". We do not want anyone to be intimidated when some of the old timers or people with mature cellars, include crazy old bottles of amazing Port. Everyone is welcome to contribute what they enjoyed most so far. Of course there are a few weeks left in the year. But have no fear, this will remain at the top of the page for the balance of this month, at the very least.

Also know that some people like to break out categories of Port and put their favorites from each category. Sometimes one, or sometimes their top few from each category. No rules this year, just have at it and have fun. Please do mention your faves though! :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: Dec. 2015: Your best Port tasted this year?

Post by John M. »

1994 Vesuvio.....I absolutely loved this and its not even mature yet. Just exquisite.

2nd place to a 77 Dows

3rd a three way tie: 70 Grahams, 95 Graham Malvedos & 77 Smith Woodhouse

Worst was a very old Corgo Port---basic ruby, probably from the 50s and stored upright. 70 Points (because I don't go any lower). The bottle was totally cool, however.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

This is likely to be a recurring bottle for the next few years... but that's because it's just that good.

NV Quinta do Mourao "60" Very Old Tawny Port

I'll have to check my TN notebook to figure out VPs for the year... for some strange reason those don't stand out to me as much. :stir:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:NV Quinta do Mourao "60" Very Old Tawny Port
+1
Easy choice this year.
60.jpg
60.jpg (116.26 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
Last edited by Eric Menchen on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

That is easy to answer: The 60 Year old S.Leonardo! It was the perfect wine for the perfect occasion and location! My girl-friend celebrated her round birthday in Italy and we had a predicament. We hadn't been finishing the bottle the day before and we had to be in 3 hours at the airport. We had already checked out from the hotel and we knew that the security guys wouldn't allow us to fly with this beautiful bottle and the remaining Port in the carry-on. So we needed a quick and good solution... and we ended up sitting on a bench at Lake Como, next to George Clooney's house, sipping the last few drops of this marvelous wine out of cheap glasses while overlooking this amazingly beautiful landscape. The perfect end for a fantastic Italy-trip, the perfect end for this fantastic bottle of wine.
The next best wines: A cask sample of a 1951 Colheita Quinta da Devesas, the 40 year old Tawny from the same Quinta, 30 year old Martha's Wines, Casa Santa Eufemia 40 Year old Tawny.
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

While I wrote my message, Eric posted his... and we have the same wine as the best of the year... [friends.gif]

I'm looking forward to June 2016 - then I will open my 100 year old Port Wine from that Quinta... [cheers.gif]
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Haven't tasted the 60 yet. So until then, maybe, 1912 Niepoort Colheita.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I did not participate in the Buying Op that it seem most of the regulars inhere did. So still have not had the pleasure of tasting any of S. Leonardo's tawnies and colheitas, looking forward to it immensely.

I have had far more tawny this past year compared to VT or even LBV, as it is not until recently I have decided to become serious about port and my cellar.

Thus my favourite ports from 2015 would have to be a 1967 Krohn & Weise Colheita that I had pleasure of tasting a a port event in my city. It had a wonderful viscosity while being rich on sweet plum and cherry flavours. Still had sufficient acidity to prevent it from become too sweet. Just a delightful experience shared with 5 good friends in a perfect setting. What more can you ask?
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

My top 5 this year:
1) Duque de Braganza 1895
2) Porto Feist Cuvée 1965
3) unknown VP 1894
4) Niepoort Garrafeira 1938
5) Martinez "50 year" old bottled in 1973

The list might be changed on the top spots. At New Year's eve, im am having something really nice. [cheers.gif]
Mika H

Post by Mika H »

Royal Oporto Colheita 1980.
Special mention for the most black pepperish finish i have ever tasted on Port wine
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Hard to think back all year, but some stand outs for me are:

1970 Dow
1985 Fonseca
1966 Graham
1963 Niepoort
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Great question! Judging by the responses, I need to join the FTLOP for the buying op. My lord, what a great looking bottle and presentation box that 60 yo is!

My most notable from maybe 24 diferent ports I've had this year.

Niepoort 09 LBV. Amazing cinnamon taste and finish, definitely most memorable and satisfying.

1994 Broadbent VP. Horrible acetone, straight nail polish remover on the nose. However, the taste was superb. Ripe, juicy raspberries and a sweet butterscotch finish.
- Alex
John M.

Post by John M. »

A dschus wrote:Great question! Judging by the responses, I need to join the FTLOP for the buying op. My lord, what a great looking bottle and presentation box that 60 yo is!

My most notable from maybe 24 diferent ports I've had this year.

Niepoort 09 LBV. Amazing cinnamon taste and finish, definitely most memorable and satisfying.

1994 Broadbent VP. Horrible acetone, straight nail polish remover on the nose. However, the taste was superb. Ripe, juicy raspberries and a sweet butterscotch finish.
Yes you do need to join....the buying op savings will pay for your subscription, let alone the opportunity to buy wines with perfect provenance.
Any Port in a storm!
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

While the year is still going, I believe my top 4 for this year is:

4: Kopke 1974 Colheita (bottled: 2004)
3: Cálem 1970 VP;
2: Graham's 1966 VP;
1: Sandeman 1945 VP.

[yahoo.gif]

Looking back, 2015 has been an excellent year for me, port-wise, in terms of special and (for me) rare bottles of fantastic juice :yumyum: :yumyum:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Gerwin de Graaf wrote:While the year is still going, I believe my top 4 for this year is:

[yahoo.gif]

Looking back, 2015 has been an excellent year for me, port-wise, in terms of special and (for me) rare bottles of fantastic juice :yumyum: :yumyum:
'45 Sandeman must've been special. I think I had it once and that's what caught my eye. Interesting the Calem made your list. Not usually on anyone's top list, but if they were to do something good; 1970 is the year.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

DOW LBV 2009 and Noval LBV 2007 (filtered) were great :-)

for LBV and vintage ports (i'm not a big fan of tawnies) DOW, Niepoort and Noval always put a smile on my face :-)
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Gerwin de Graaf wrote:While the year is still going, I believe my top 4 for this year is:

[yahoo.gif]

'45 Sandeman must've been special. I think I had it once and that's what caught my eye. Interesting the Calem made your list. Not usually on anyone's top list, but if they were to do something good; 1970 is the year.
The Cálem actually was excellent. It surpassed my expectations, even though this particular bottle had had some leaking issues. Another reason that it made my list is the simple fact that I don't drink that many bottles of noteworthy ports during the course of a year (VP-wise about 14 bottles a year on average).
terrance creighton

Post by terrance creighton »

A Krohn 30 year Tawny. A wonderfully complex bottle that has gotten me more excitement to try even older ports. Unfortunately I got these from PC for $35 a pop, so I keep looking for these kind of deals. Need to move on.
GS Irving

Post by GS Irving »

I didn't try a ton of ports this year, but the one that stood out for me was the Ferreira Duque de Braganca 20 Year Tawny. Magical stuff.
The other port that exceeded my expectations was the Graham's Natura Reserve Port (organic).

This could be a separate forum discussion, but is there such a thing as a > 95pt ruby/reserve port? Does it exist?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

GS Irving, I am very happy to read that you loved the 20 year old Duque de Braganca Tawny Port. It is the single Tawny that I have purchased and consumed the most of over the past couple of decades. Truly wonderful and consistently delivers at a high level.

Not to disappoint, but I don't believe that you will find scores near the 95 point (or above) range for ANY Ruby Reserve. Maybe there are others out there that will disagree, but I'd be quite surprised.

To all others, keep up the great posts, this is so much fun to read! :NotWorthy:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com