Port drinking season has finally arrived

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Port drinking season has finally arrived

Post by Andy Velebil »

I am so excited. After a LONG hot and humid summer here in So Cal we finally have gotten cold. I know for some of you 45-50 degrees isn't cold, but for us it's the arctic chill. We've even gotten some rain :shock: My Port drinking darn near stopped this summer as a result of our heat, which it usually doesn't slow me down much. This year it just seemed to never end. A lot more cold white dry wines were consumed this summer than ever. But now I'm back into the Port drinking mood...let the games begin :winebath:

Ok, sorry for the rambling post, just couldn't contain my excitement.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Re: Port drinking season has finally arrived

Post by Edward J »

Sacatomatoes, California

The State legislature just announced a 3 week moratorium on Port Drinking Season in Southern California due to the strong El Nino. "The weather is just too hot" stated an unnamed politician "we plan to introduce a Port Drinking license along with a strict Drinking "season". This should add much needed revenue to restock dwindling lawmakers supplies of the beve..uh never mind [shok.gif] /s
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Edward J wrote:Sacatomatoes, California

The State legislature just announced a 3 week moratorium on Port Drinking Season in Southern California due to the strong El Nino. "The weather is just too hot" stated an unnamed politician "we plan to introduce a Port Drinking license along with a strict Drinking "season". This should add much needed revenue to restock dwindling lawmakers supplies of the beve..uh never mind [shok.gif] /s
Fire and brimstone would strike them down if they tried [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

3 of us drank 8 bottles of port over the weekend... So I guess it has started! :drunk:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Haha, there are parts of the state where it's 50 and rainy (and therefore Port season) year round!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

John M.

Post by John M. »

See---there are benefits to living in New Jersey over California!!!
Any Port in a storm!
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

You should move to Scandinavia Andy... or perhaps above the arctic circle? :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:You should move to Scandinavia Andy... or perhaps above the arctic circle? :lol:
Then I'll have to shovel snow. Andy don't play that game :lol: :lol:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I could swear that Andy said many years ago that he drinks Port all year round, no matter what the weather is like, because in the summer he can chill down Tawny, White or even aged-White Port. What happened to that guy? [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:I could swear that Andy said many years ago that he drinks Port all year round, no matter what the weather is like, because in the summer he can chill down Tawny, White or even aged-White Port. What happened to that guy? [friends.gif]
The weather this summer just plain sucked. The first time it's impacted my Port drinking. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:I could swear that Andy said many years ago that he drinks Port all year round, no matter what the weather is like, because in the summer he can chill down Tawny, White or even aged-White Port. What happened to that guy? [friends.gif]
The weather this summer just plain sucked. The first time it's impacted my Port drinking. :(
I would have to agree, we had a brutal dry summer. Here in the Delta we experienced more 100+ days than I care to remember. Water was drink #1 8--)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Edward J wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
I would have to agree, we had a brutal dry summer. Here in the Delta we experienced more 100+ days than I care to remember. Water was drink #1 8--)
Glad I wasn't alone. Hopefully you've got better (read, cooler) weather now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Well as I type this, it is 95F in Melbourne, and getting warmer over the next couple of days. It has been pretty warm since October actually. The heat certainly impacts my port drinking, but I do have a few tawnies and a white port hanging around. I suspect that Riesling, Rose, Beer and Gin & tonic will be my drinks of choice for the next few months. I'm thankful I'm not in Adelaide as it is 108F there right now with the same predicted for the next 2 days.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul Fountain wrote:Well as I type this, it is 95F in Melbourne, and getting warmer over the next couple of days. It has been pretty warm since October actually. The heat certainly impacts my port drinking, but I do have a few tawnies and a white port hanging around. I suspect that Riesling, Rose, Beer and Gin & tonic will be my drinks of choice for the next few months. I'm thankful I'm not in Adelaide as it is 108F there right now with the same predicted for the next 2 days.
Stay cool and keep those Tawny's cold [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Paul Fountain wrote:I'm thankful I'm not in Adelaide as it is 108F there right now with the same predicted for the next 2 days.
Ugh! I remember days like those growing up in NE Nebraska. I was a lifeguard at the city pool, and remember one week where we had 110, 114, and 111 on 3 consecutive days. Luckily (and unusually) the humidity was low, so it actually wasn't too bad. 90-95 degrees and 70-90% humidity was more our norm, and that sucks.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In NY as a teenager I remember many days of 95-102 degree with 95% humidity. You'd walk out of the house and down the block, turn around and go back in the house for a cold shower to get rid of the sweat. I was not drinking any Port at that time though.

The good news, (except for Paul) the cooler temperatures are here ... and for some, downright cold. I was in CO at Thanksgiving and it snowed pretty hard there, nearly a month ago. Lots of Port that week.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I live in middle Georgia, if I had to wait for port season to drink port I would never get to drink.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Denmark had one weekend of summer this year. One saturday in July with +87 degrees farenheit.
Had some people over for barbecue. Nice food, cold beer and Wine.
Sat in the burning Sun All afternoon. After lunch, I opend a bottle of port, and placed it in a plastic bowl filled with icecubes.

At the end of the afternoon, we had consumed 3 bottles of Kopke Colheita 1984 and one bottle of Niepoorts 1937.

[cheers.gif] everybody where in a perfect mood......
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Michael T wrote:I live in middle Georgia, if I had to wait for port season to drink port I would never get to drink.
[rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:Denmark had one weekend of summer this year. One saturday in July with +87 degrees farenheit.
Had some people over for barbecue. Nice food, cold beer and Wine.
Sat in the burning Sun All afternoon. After lunch, I opend a bottle of port, and placed it in a plastic bowl filled with icecubes.

At the end of the afternoon, we had consumed 3 bottles of Kopke Colheita 1984 and one bottle of Niepoorts 1937.

[cheers.gif] everybody where in a perfect mood......
Nice!!