A few questions on 1980 Vintage Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike S a i
Location: Modesto, California, United States of America - USA

A few questions on 1980 Vintage Port

Post by Mike S a i »

Hello everyone - I'm an avid member of the ebob forums, but this is my first post here.

My birth year is 1980 and I have recently become interested in building a collection of ports from that year. When I started searching, using wine-searcher, I was surprised to find a great number of bottles still available from that vintage. I have read Roy's review on Dow's from that vintage and plan on grabbing a few, but what other producers should I be looking for? There seems to be a lot available from Graham's and Fonseca, amongst others.

Also, how many more years of life can I expect from these wines? I know Port has a long aging curve, but we are talking about wines that are already close to 30 years old.

Thanks,
Mike
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the world of port 8--)

For me there is only one word to describe 1980 - "Dow" - go get some and enjoy a wine that has decades ahead of it.

If I am reading your question correctly I think you need a new benchmark on which to judge the "life" of a wine if you want to understand port. My opinion, based on more than one or two bottles of port ( :roll: ) is that the lifespan of any bottle of port is more or less infinite. This suff just does not go "off". Yes, it has it's peak time but it will last for decades and give pleasure for more years than you and I will survive on this earth.

This is truley magical juice 8--)

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Hi Mike,

I'd try an pick up the Warres 80 as well. Good standard bearer.

Alan
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan C. wrote:Hi Mike,

I'd try an pick up the Warres 80 as well. Good standard bearer.

Alan
I second the Dows and Warres '80
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike S a i

Post by Mike S a i »

Thanks guys. it's good to hear that port basically has an indefinite lifespan. I want to be able to drink it at some 'milestones' later in life.

How about Graham's? There is quite a bit of it available on the market right now.

Thanks,
Mike
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well I wouldn't say "Indefinite" but I like to say that Vintage Port doesn't die, it just slowly fades into a nice tawny :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Mike

I can vote for the Graham '80. I love this port and expect to be able to enjoy it for another 10-30 years.

Alex
Mike S a i

Post by Mike S a i »

Andy V. wrote:Well I wouldn't say "Indefinite" but I like to say that Vintage Port doesn't die, it just slowly fades into a nice tawny :lol:
That's good to know!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In order of preference my two favorites from 1980 are Dow (as mentioned by Derek) followed by Graham's (mentioned by Andy). You can not go wrong with either one.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy, Alex reco'd the Grahams ;) .

After the offline a couple days ago, i'd also add the 1980 Smith Woodhouse.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

In a word, Grahams.

Jay
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

That Smith Woodhouse was quite something, definitely worth a buy if you come across some.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mike,

It is great to have you over here too! As I approach 11,000 posts on Port/Madeira (and occasionally other wines too), I spend less and less time over there this year. But that is another story!

Anyway, in addition to the Dow's, which is a no brainer, I'd suggest you seriously grab a hold of the Graham's and Fonseca too, both of which are really very very solid and consistent too. I recently had the Taylor's and also enjoyed it, but feel the other 3 are better.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike S a i

Post by Mike S a i »

Roy,

I guess every site has its place/quarks/etc. My cellar is really starting to diversify, and that site deserves a lot of the credit.

I'm just glad that I've taken interest in Port now, instead of trying to do this in 20 years. I'll definitely seek-out the Dow's, Fonseca and Graham's; but I'll probably grab at least a few lesser bottles to round-out the collection.

BTW - I just bought a set of Zwiesel Top Ten dessert stems. I'm looking forward to trying them out with that '53 Royal Oporto!
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I have enjoyed the 1980 Ferreira very much. Lord Parker gave it an 85 as he did the SW. The highest rating from this vintage he gives is an 87. I think the Ferreira is better than that.
The 1980 was supposed to be a great vintage but quickly faded from favor as the 1983 and 1985 vintages were released.
The 80's were great bargains in the 90's as the other vintages crowded them off the shelves but it is still a decent vintage .

At one time I had SW, Graham's and much more Ferreria but now the only bottle of any 1980 wine I have is a single Ferreira 1980.
Richard Henderson
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

1980 Dow all the way. The Grahams is also pretty good.
YOLO
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

There was a virtual tasting of the 1980 vintage back in March. You can find the results in that part of the forum, or just follow this http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... php?t=2409 to it.

All the best,
John
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Grab al the '80 vintage you can and figure it out later. I have had all the ones mentioned in this thread and they are all solid.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars