The next FTLOP newsletter #87

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

The next FTLOP newsletter #87

Post by Roy Hersh »

Once a year, FTLOP includes an "open source" newsletter and anyone can download it in the newsletter download area.

The next newsletter at a whopping 100+ pages, will be sent out within 2-3 days after Christmas and there will be 2 unique .pdf versions. A FREE version for non-subscribers, and one for our PAID subscribers. The difference between them is an amazing Subscriber's Only Buying Op and some other content that will only be in the subscriber's version. [friends.gif]

However, the FREE version WILL show my tasting notes section and a large number of photos in the .pdf which they'll be able to access.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Re: The next FTLOP newsletter #87

Post by Thomas V »

I just gave myself a Christmas present and it was a subscription to FTLOP.

Happy Christmas Roy and thanks for running this lovely shindig.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

There has been very little discussion about the new Port buying opportunity, is that intentional or are you all not that interested. I plan on getting a couple of cases.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Michael T wrote:There has been very little discussion about the new Port buying opportunity, is that intentional or are you all not that interested. I plan on getting a couple of cases.
It's a great opportunity again, it's just hitting me at an inopPORTune moment. I'm completely out of storage space - I have about 6 cases just sitting on the floor in the office - and am already well-stocked with Tawny Port for a while.

So while there are some really fabulous deals in this offering, unfortunately I have to pass this time around. :(
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:
Michael T wrote:There has been very little discussion about the new Port buying opportunity, is that intentional or are you all not that interested. I plan on getting a couple of cases.
It's a great opportunity again, it's just hitting me at an inopPORTune moment. I'm completely out of storage space - I have about 6 cases just sitting on the floor in the office - and am already well-stocked with Tawny Port for a while.

So while there are some really fabulous deals in this offering, unfortunately I have to pass this time around. :(
*GASP*

Just kidding, but in all seriousness, I looked at it briefly to see the dates and general offerings and then decided to work extra to get Christmas all paid off and earn as many wife points as possible before it started so I'd be able to join in, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Shhhhh. There are limited quantities for some of those :wink:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

By budget is pretty hurting after an unplanned car purchase a few months ago and xmas. Though I plan on a case or case and a half of mixed things. Nothing super old, but more for some good priced house tawny's and Douro wines.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

I admit the timing could be better. I also have 3 cases just sitting on the floor right now and another 2+ at the Winebid warehouse, just no room at the inn. On the other hand I counted the number of Colheitas I have on hand and it's 3 bottles total. Decisions, decisions...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thank you Thomas, I hope you enjoy your next year of reading. Actually, if you read the current issue that came out last week, it could take you a few days. ;)

Michael T.,
I think people are holding their cards close to the vest with the buying op. I prefer that subscribers do not spill the beans on producer and no other specifics mentioned here like vintages and especially the great pricing. So that may be why you're not seeing anyone say a lot about this offering! I do know three or four people who will be buying multiple cases as they asked a question or two; including my brother.

Glenn, if you need some extra storage space, I am happy to let you put a few on the floor in my cellar. No, I am not joking. If money is not the issue ... just space, I think you'd be crazy to pass on some of the steals, I mean, deals.

Brad, it is ALL about the wife points, no question about that. Hopefully, your bride enjoys Port and will share bottles you purchase "on her behalf, of course!"

Eric M., actually I only selected items that had good quantities on hand. They should not have an issue in fulfilling orders.

Andy, I feel your pain. I had a rock destroy my windshield and the sticker shock of a replacement was obscene and has certainly curbed my buying to just a case or two at most. The non-fortifieds are also very attractive to help re-fill my wife's depleted section.

Edward, in full candor, I do not believe we will ever see these prices again even if the importer is willing to do this again some day. I know what is going on in Gaia and I believe we will see a definitive uptick. You may want to stack a bit higher as I did not too long ago, when my whole cellar from London was shipped to my home, after disclosing said cellar to my wife for the first time in our marriage (15 years). So trust me, I know what you are going through, but you'll just have to drink other wines down so you can make more space during the course of this and next year. To pass on these prices would be a darn shame.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Andy, I feel your pain. I had a rock destroy my windshield and the sticker shock of a replacement was obscene and has certainly curbed my buying to just a case or two at most. The non-fortifieds are also very attractive to help re-fill my wife's depleted section.

Let me guess, about $1,500 bucks? That was what the dealer told me if I broken one when I bought the car. Good thing my insurance will cover most of that if it happens.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:Let me guess, about $1,500 bucks? That was what the dealer told me if I broken one when I bought the car. Good thing my insurance will cover most of that if it happens.
Yikes! I guess I'll keep driving my 13 year old vehicle with simple windshield (<$300), and drink more Port in the mean time. I used to have a sports car with big sloping windshield. I bet that one cost a lot more to replace.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:

Let me guess, about $1,500 bucks? That was what the dealer told me if I broken one when I bought the car. Good thing my insurance will cover most of that if it happens.
The time that that happened to me it was a touch over $500, which meant that I still paid $500 to meet my deductible.

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sorry for drift. I also plan on getting some Douro wine. At those prices (which I won't say cause subscribers know anyways) is a steal for a daily house wine.

WHen can we start sending in our orders?
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Roy, hope I didn't really spill any beans, just trying to get some conversation going. I figure the more successful a Port buying opportunity is the more we will have in the future.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Sorry for drift. I also plan on getting some Douro wine. At those prices (which I won't say cause subscribers know anyways) is a steal for a daily house wine.
Agreed, especially the Reserva. I am going big on those half bottles of Colheita.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Sorry for drift. I also plan on getting some Douro wine. At those prices (which I won't say cause subscribers know anyways) is a steal for a daily house wine.
Agreed, especially the Reserva. I am going big on those half bottles of Colheita.
Nice
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Michael T wrote:Roy, hope I didn't really spill any beans, just trying to get some conversation going. I figure the more successful a Port buying opportunity is the more we will have in the future.
No you're good:)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yep, all good.

As for my windshield, yes, just about exactly right and also the $500 deductible. That's a nice few bottles.

Anyway, everyone can start to send in their orders on Sunday the 9th and then through the following Saturday 16th. :)

Best regards,

Roy
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Roy Hersh wrote:

Edward, in full candor, I do not believe we will ever see these prices again even if the importer is willing to do this again some day. I know what is going on in Gaia and I believe we will see a definitive uptick. You may want to stack a bit higher as I did not too long ago, when my whole cellar from London was shipped to my home, after disclosing said cellar to my wife for the first time in our marriage (15 years). So trust me, I know what you are going through, but you'll just have to drink other wines down so you can make more space during the course of this and next year. To pass on these prices would be a darn shame.
I managed to float the idea past the wife and it didn't sink. No details of course, but she would rather not know until after. Plausible deniability. She will most likely question the need for 2 more cases at this time, but by then, they are already here. [dance2.gif]
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Edward J wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:

I managed to float the idea past the wife and it didn't sink. No details of course, but she would rather not know until after. Plausible deniability. She will most likely question the need for 2 more cases at this time, but by then, they are already here. [dance2.gif]
It's always great to talk about it when it gets bought, even if it doesn't get shipped for a while, as then when more boxes show up later you've always got the "I told you when I bought it, it just took 3-9 months to ship due to weather" card. Buys you some leeway for a few extra boxes Image.

-Brad