Ports for New Year's eve 2015

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Allan Engelsted Laurents

Ports for New Year's eve 2015

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Well, tomorrow night is one of my Port-highlights of the Year.
Over the years this special night, has provided me with super Vinho do Portos.

And tomorrow will be no exception.

4 people, so 2 bottles should be enough.
I hope that a least one bottle will get Into my top 3 list for consumed Ports in 2015.

Happy New Year to All my Portfriends All over the World.
Allan
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (538.27 KiB) Viewed 886 times
Christian Gollnick

Re: Ports for New Year's eve 2015

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Nice...!
Suddenly my wines for tomorrow, Grahams 1977 and Noval Colheita 2000, seem like bad choices... [notworthy.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Both of you...very nice plans.

No Port or alcohol for me as I have a slew of very long bicycle rides this weekend with my team and others. New Years is about 100 miles, the 2nd is about 75 miles, and sunday will be around 50. I kinda lied, by Sunday afternoon I will be ready for wine, Port, or a good Gin and Tonic. 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have a '66 Graham lined up for tonight.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

We shall open up a Fonseca 1985 tonight.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote:I have a '66 Graham lined up for tonight.
Just decanted
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Some great choices. Tonight I am breaking out some wild and woolly Portuguese table wines ... a pair from the 1980 and 1985 vintage, plus some 2003 and 2006 Mouchao wines for friends and they are bringing some old Krohns Colheitas.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm thinking I'll probably open a 1985 Graham and a 1968 Krohn Colheita. Unless I change my mind again before this afternoon! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Was trying to stick with years that end in 6. Limits my choices to a degree. For a dry wine, I just found a 1996 Pernand-Vergelesses in the cellar that should be fun.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Moses Botbol wrote:I have a '66 Graham lined up for tonight.
I hadn't expected to be drinking on New Year's Eve but a sudden change of plans meant that I didn't end up driving. I took advantage of that by following Moses's lead and going for a '66 to celebrate the New Year with a port reaching its 50th anniversary. I went for Taylor 1966.
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Wow you have great bottles for the new year (and the people to drink it). Some people in my familly and friends lke port but not like us (in quantity or quality) so i'm always the only one you think to open a bottle of port.
I had just one bottle of port for the holidays. Taylor Fladgate LBV 2010. I remember that it was good but i did not take note (it was not my first drink of the night :drunk: ).

For the next year maybe i will to open a Dow vintage 1977 magnum for the hole family. But i will probably be the only one who will really love the port so i'm not sure. If i open a bottle in holidays it's with my wife. She knows port because of me but she drinks about 1/3 of the bottle... so i drink the rest.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

LOUISSS J wrote: For the next year maybe i will to open a Dow vintage 1977 magnum for the hole family. But i will probably be the only one who will really love the port so i'm not sure. If i open a bottle in holidays it's with my wife. She knows port because of me but she drinks about 1/3 of the bottle... so i drink the rest.

Next year there will be a lot of 1977's being drunk on NYE. That should be a good one. I know on the regular bottles of that Dow there is some bottle variance. I believe from the corks. I have only had it from a magnum once and it was fine FWIW.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

LOUISSS J wrote:She knows port because of me but she drinks about 1/3 of the bottle... so i drink the rest.
That doesn't sound like a problem to me! :lol:

1977 Dow will be a fabulous bottle to open next year. I don't have any, but will probably open something else from 1977 instead. Maybe a Taylor or Fonseca? At this point it's still a long time away, so who knows?
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
LOUISSS J wrote:She knows port because of me but she drinks about 1/3 of the bottle... so i drink the rest.
That doesn't sound like a problem to me! :lol:

1977 Dow will be a fabulous bottle to open next year. I don't have any, but will probably open something else from 1977 instead. Maybe a Taylor or Fonseca? At this point it's still a long time away, so who knows?
I bet you'll have a Cockburn '77 in your hands by NYE. Waiting to see it offered online somewhere soon.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Next year I plan to open a bottle of '67 port on New Year's Eve. Seems a nice thing to be able to open a 50 year old bottle when I can do - but '77 is very tempting...
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Al B. wrote:Next year I plan to open a bottle of '67 port on New Year's Eve. Seems a nice thing to be able to open a 50 year old bottle when I can do - but '77 is very tempting...
I don't recall '67 being a grand vintage year or even a good year for Colheita. I'm sure you will find something just lying around. Your notes are amazing. [notworthy.gif] I was hoping to see the '57 Kopke in the offering. Either way I need to track down a bottle for next year. A '77? Gould-Campbell seems like a good choice.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Actually, 1967 was a very good year for Port. It is just not a year that most people know about as it is obscured by 1963, 1966 and 1970 that got the attention.

Here are some to look for, my personal favorite (1-3 stars):

Barros Colheita *
Dalva Colheita **
Dalva "Rui Paula" Colheita (limited bottling) ***
Feist Colheita *
Kopke Colheita **
Krohn Colheita **
Poças Colheita *
Souza Colheita*

Cockburn's Vintage Port *
Croft's Quinta da Roeda Vintage Port *
Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port **
Gonzalez Byass Vintage Port *
Martinez Vintage Port **
Quinta do Noval Vintage Port *
Quinta do Noval Nacional Vintage Port ***
Sandeman Vintage Port **(***)
Taylor's Quinta de Vargellas Vintage Port

I am sure there others that are not part of this list.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Edward,

There are 1957 Vintage Ports that are worthy, but the 1957 Colheitas are often times extraordinary, as there are some great Madeiras too!