Port Drinks

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Su Lee

Port Drinks

Post by Su Lee »

So I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on your favorite port beverages (other than neat :yumyum: ), especially colder weather ones.

The question is inspired by the fact that I appear to be out of Irish Cream to use in my hot cocoa, but have some ruby open and am curious if people have tried that before...
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Port Drinks

Post by Glenn E. »

Su Lee wrote:The question is inspired by the fact that I appear to be out of Irish Cream to use in my hot cocoa, but have some ruby open and am curious if people have tried that before...
I've never tried Port in hot cocoa, but now that you've mentioned it I'll have to try it! I suspect that ruby and tawny would both work.

The only Port drink (other than a Port Tonic) that I've ever tried is one that Lindsay and I put together. Tawny Port, Whiskey (Irish, in my case), Sour (lemon juice), and a dash of bitters. I used a 2-1-1 ratio because I tend to like sweeter drinks, but you can play with it to get a sweetness level that you like.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

That does sound like a good idea. I'll have to give it a go as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Edward J

Post by Edward J »

How about a Smoking Bishop? Straight out of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol. Sounds like a good way to use up a bottle of Ruby Port.
lovely Traditional old English recipe by Eliza Acton, a 19th Century Victorian cookery writer of great repute. This unique beverage is also mentioned in "The Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens, although in the book it was called Smoking Bishop!! This is a fruity & spiced warm mulled Port Wine drink which brings a glow to your face & warmth to your aching joints, believe me! Just the festive beverage to have after returning from Christmas Midnight Mass or whilst listening to Carols from King's College on Christmas Eve. Also wonderful as a welcome drink for a party or special event. It is easily topped up if extra guests arrive, and I have used wine in the past when the port was finished!
Ingredients
Nutrition
Servings 6
Units US

1 whole orange
16 whole cloves
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
10 fluid ounces water
750 ml ruby port
1 orange, juice of

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
Cut the orange in half and stud the 2 halves with the cloves.
Place the two halves on a lined baking tray cut-side up, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
Take out of the oven & set to one side.
Meanwhile pour the water into a large pan and add the sugar, cinnamon, mace, allspice & ginger.
Place over a high heat and stirring all the time, bring to the boil and let it boil until it has reduced by about half.
Take off the heat & set to one side.
When you are ready to serve the Oxford Bishop, empty the bottle of port into the pan with the spiced sugar water and add the two halves of baked oranges.
Add the orange juice and gently heat up and simmer - be careful NOT to boil it!
Serve from a warmed Punch Bowl with the orange halves floating in it - this should serve about 6 people.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A girl I know alcoholic father drinks port mixed with Cognac.

Perhaps there's a mulled port recipe worth trying? I just love Glögg in the winter!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jeremy R

Post by Jeremy R »

The Clover Club in Brooklyn does a fantastic drink called The Port of Call. I don't have the recipe handy, but as best as I can remember:

2 ounces gin
1 ounce ruby port
3/4 ounce lemon juice
3/4 ounce cinnamon syrup
1/2 cranberry preserves

Shake it all, serve in a rocks glass over crushed ice and garnish with blackberry/raspberry/mint.

Fantastic cocktail.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

i got these recipes from articles posted on this forum. i haven't tried any of them, i'm most interested in the Murder's Row. that it has a cool name and uses my favorite Reserve Ruby helps.

Great new cocktails to try this season
September 6, 2015
Williamsport Sun-Gazette
http://www.sungazette.com/page/content. ... l?nav=5009

Cooler temperatures invite a new season of cocktails, featuring richer flavors to entertain yourself and guests. To achieve this, Port offers a versatile and refreshing element, says Andy Seymour, beverage educator and owner of Liquid Productions, a cocktail consulting company.

"Working with Port provides many fantastic options to create new cocktails or put a dynamic and delicious twist on an existing drink. Its various flavor profiles offer a wonderful palate of flavors, whether utilizing the bright, clean style of white Port, a juicy, fruit-driven rose Port or a more traditional ruby or tawny Port - the key is versatility."

To help you plan your fall festivities, Seymour offers these delicious Port cocktails that you can create at home.

For a refreshing aperitif-style sipper made with white Port, try the long, tall "First Wind" paired with light appetizers or tapas.

First wind

2 ounces Fonseca Siroco White Port
3/4 ounces fresh
cucumber juice
1/4 ounce agave nectar
Cilantro leaves
1 1/2 ounces tonic water

Muddle cilantro with agave. Add cucumber juice and Siroco and shake with ice. Strain over fresh ice in a Collins glass. Top with Tonic.

Glassware: Collins
Ice: Kold draft (1 inch by 1 inch cubes)
Garnish: Cucumber stalk

The playful "Jack the Spy" is given an extra spark with the addition of tawny Port.

Jack the spy

1 1/4 ounces rye whiskey
1 ounce Croft 10 Year Tawny Port
1/2 ounce Aperol

Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass. Stir thoroughly and strain over a big ice cube.

Glassware: Double rocks
Ice: Large format (2- inch-by-2-inch)
Garnish: Wide lemon peel

Full bodied and packed with berry flavors, ruby Port pairs perfectly with aged spirits in the "Murderers Row," a robust and juicy cocktail to sip with heavier courses.
Try it at your next dinner party!

Murderers row

2 ouncesFonseca BIN 27
3/4 ounces Bourbon
1 ounce fresh pear juice
2 muddled blackberries
3/4 ounces fresh lemon juice
1/4 ounce agave syrup

Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice. Shake and strain into a chilled glass.

Glassware: Coupe
Ice: None
Garnish: Grapefruit peel and blackberry

The dynamic flavors of Port will bring a welcome and delicious twist to your dinner parties and casual get-togethers throughout the cold weather season, providing a pleasant surprise for all your guests.

http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/port ... ls-2015-12

By the Fireside
Courtesy of The Up & Up, Manhattan

2 oz Croft 10 Year Old Tawny Port
¾ oz chicory coffee syrup*
½ oz lemon juice
4 shakes (¼ tsp) of a 70/30 blend of ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon

Shake and strain into an Old Fashioned glass and fill with crushed ice. Garnish with lemon wheel.

*Coffee Syrup: Made from strong Chicory coffee. Preferably Cafe du Monde, at 3 scoops of coffee grounds for 2 scoops of water. (12 scoops: 8 cups). Add and dissolve white sugar equal to one half volume of coffee. Add 2 oz vodka per quart of syrup to stabilize.

Aperitif for Destruction
Courtesy of The Lighthouse, Brooklyn

1 oz Lillet Blanc
¾ oz Fonseca Siroco White Port
½ oz tonic

Build in a Collins glass. Shake. Fill with tonic, garnish with an orange peel.

American Whiskey Punch
Courtesy of Two E at the Pierre Hotel, Manhattan

1 oz rye whiskey
1 oz Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny Port
¾ oz pomegranate juice
½ oz Yukon Jack liquer
Egg white

Combine ingredients in a shaker. Shake until chilled and frothy. Strain and serve in a coupe glass with orange wheel.
Last edited by Scheiny S on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy R

Post by Jeremy R »

That murderer's row sounds awesome; has lots of my favorite flavors. I wonder how well they'd all work together, but it sounds great!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Can't say I've ever gone the whiskey route before with a Port cocktail. I'll have to try a Jack the Spy. Thanks for sharing those!

-Brad

Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Jeremy R wrote:That murderer's row sounds awesome; has lots of my favorite flavors. I wonder how well they'd all work together, but it sounds great!
i agree. i'd like to try the First Wind, too, but haven't the faintest idea where to get cucumber juice!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Scheiny S wrote:
Jeremy R wrote:That murderer's row sounds awesome; has lots of my favorite flavors. I wonder how well they'd all work together, but it sounds great!
i agree. i'd like to try the First Wind, too, but haven't the faintest idea where to get cucumber juice![/quote

You could always juice a cucumber!

-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

from Shaken: Drinking with James Bond and Ian Fleming (Ian Fleming Publications and Mitchell Beazley), foreword by Fergus Fleming,

Goldfinger

This one is as unabashedly over-the-top as the venal character after which it is named, calling for vintage port, vintage champagne, expensive cognac and garnishes including gold leaf. It’s a champagne cocktail with – very expensive – bells on, and quite a bit of fruity depth. The book points out that you could, in principle, make it with far less expensive ingredients – but then implores you to ask yourself: “would Auric Goldfinger do the same?”

40ml Martell XO (or other premium cognac)
20ml Taylor’s 1985 vintage port (or other vintage port)
20ml blood orange sherbet
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp simple syrup
2 dashes of Angostura bitters
75ml Bollinger (or other vintage champagne)

Measure the ingredients (except the champagne) into a cocktail shaker and top up with ice. Shake then strain into a large, tasteless gold goblet. Top up with champagne and garnish with dried blood orange slices, mint leaves and gold leaf.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote:The book points out that you could, in principle, make it with far less expensive ingredients – but then implores you to ask yourself: “would Auric Goldfinger do the same?” ...
20ml Taylor’s 1985 vintage port (or other vintage port)
I'm thinking you either make it with cheaper Port, or if you're going to go vintage, something better than 1985 Taylor. Just MHO.

How about:
20ml vintage Port
... serve to guests while you drink the other 730 ml of Port!
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

The end of this movie review from 2014 mentions "Port and lemon".

http://www.frenchfilms.org/review/deadl ... -1946.html
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

A friend recommend:
the Kneecap – 1.5 oz bourbon, 1.5 oz port.